Roof Rack: Front Runner or OEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021 | 10:59 AM
nac
|
4wd Low
Default Roof Rack: Front Runner or OEM

Hi guys,

Wanted to see what you guys think between the 2 roof racks? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2021 | 07:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Avoid Front Runner's long rack. You'll have to remove the roof rails and some of us have not been able to remove the bolts. I went to a dealership in California this week and their body shop was unable to remove them.

The following users liked this post:
KingExporter (07-13-2021)
Old 03-14-2021 | 11:28 PM
3rd Gear
Default OEM expedition rack works with Thule wingbar

Originally Posted by nac
Hi guys,

I found the expedition rack is compatible with Thule wingbar t-bolt offerings and have put the roof box, ski rack and sup accessories on and off pretty easily.
there and no front to rear rail slots on the expedition rack that the front runner has. The rubber t-slot fillers help reduce c-channel wind noise that can occur at speed and wind in certain directions.

The following users liked this post:
johnsonmc2000 (05-04-2021)
Old 03-18-2021 | 05:58 PM
Winching

im in between both options also. i am not interested in the front runner full rack due to all the issues everyone is having. issue is their other rack might be too small. front runner looks like a good option purely with the universal mounts and the accessories they offer. i will be mounting a mid size roof tent and i will have no more room on the smaller rack. makes the ability to add accessories useless if i have no more room

i can source a expedition rack locally but always questioned what i could actually mount.

i have other thule items but don’t see me using any of those on the rack

which one would you say is louder and more wind noise?

Originally Posted by Tt22
I found the expedition rack is compatible with Thule wingbar t-bolt offerings and have put the roof box, ski rack and sup accessories on and off pretty easily.
there and no front to rear rail slots on the expedition rack that the front runner has. The rubber t-slot fillers help reduce c-channel wind noise that can occur at speed and wind in certain directions.

Old 03-19-2021 | 06:27 AM
Overlanding

Lots of stories about stripping bolts in removing the reroof rails for the frontrunner rack. Expedition rack was easy for me to install but I’m a big open sunroof guy and it creates some noise so I’ve got mine for sale on the marketplace page.

Old 03-19-2021 | 11:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by nac
Hi guys,

You now have a 3rd option. Go check out my post with pics on the upTOP Overland rack. They prototyped it off mine and it’ll be up on their site in a couple weeks. I love it so far!

Old 03-20-2021 | 04:28 PM
Mudding

I have the FR full length and had no issues with install. The Uptop looks promising but will mount in same front holes and will have same issues on install. Great thing about FR is all the accessories available for mounting almost anything. Length wise, they are similar but rear of OEM rack swing in by the shark fin. OEM has flat bars that will need to be sandwiched with brackets of drilled thru. Round design would have been better.

OEM allows lunchbox and ladder install while FR can't because those mount in the OEM tracks. I saw last week that FR may be making mounts that fit in the rails not requiring removal.

Old 03-20-2021 | 04:29 PM
Mudding
Old 03-20-2021 | 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by spikemd
I have the FR full length and had no issues with install. The Uptop looks promising but will mount in same front holes and will have same issues on install. Great thing about FR is all the accessories available for mounting almost anything. Length wise, they are similar but rear of OEM rack swing in by the shark fin. OEM has flat bars that will need to be sandwiched with brackets of drilled thru. Round design would have been better.

OEM allows lunchbox and ladder install while FR can't because those mount in the OEM tracks. I saw last week that FR may be making mounts that fit in the rails not requiring removal.
Frontrunner accessories work with upTOP too.

Will definitely require the bolt removal for placement like the Frontrunner one too.

Old 03-20-2021 | 07:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Frontrunner and oem both sit much too high. Voyager and uptop sit lower but there is the bolt removal problem. I’m not really finding anything at this point that I want to put on the roof.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack: Front Runner or OEM