2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satin Finish how to Clean? Car wash safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 02:33 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Satin Finish how to Clean? Car wash safe?

I have a new to me 2020 First Edition with the factory satin wrap on it. In reading the manual it only recommends hand washing the vehicle. The wrap is supposed to increase the protection of the paint off road, etc. So can I safely take it through a brush or brushless car wash? The idea of having to always hand wash is not very appealing to me. Thank you for any insight.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

I would stick to what the manual says but never use a brushed car wash.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Satin finishes usually require more "special" attention than a glossy finish. But being that it isn't the paint that is satin, I can't really tell ya. But I can tell you that running any vehicle, no matter what it is, thru a brush style car wash is a horrible, and I do mean horrible idea. Our Defender has the rack on top, so it is never supposed to go thru a car wash. I am pretty sure that is the recommendation for all the new Defenders since there are certain things you have to do to get them to go in neutral and actually let the system take it along it's path for the car wash.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts
Default satin

the oem satin finish is just a expel stealth ppf paint protectant. it’s not like a satin paint finish at all and actually very durable and has self healing properties. wash as normal

The following users liked this post:
RunNguN29 (03-02-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 08:09 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for all the feedback. I have not used any car wash with the old style brushes or spinning rags in years and I should have left that out of the question. Then only ones I have used recently on other cars have been the higher end “touch free” washes. The satin wrap is a film and seems to get good reviews from third party reviewers and I like the look as well. So are “brush/touch free” automatic washes okay with the wrap. I do have the side storage box and the ladder equipped as well.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:39 AM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

I haven't washed my own car in about
about 15 years... Not laziness, HOA R&R of the gated community I live in. I have taken my satin wrapped Defender through the usual local "Hand" auto car wash I have been using at least 5 or 6 times since last September, the wrap looks as good as new.

I take it to a "hybrid" car wash where a couple of attendants do the initial rinsing, lathering up and wheel scrubbing by hand using hoses, mitts and brushes, then the car goes through a conveyor for a high pressure rinse, wax and air dry, and finally attendants jump back in and finish drying and polishing the exterior, vacuuming and cleaning the interior, etc. I just tell them not to apply waxes of any type during the auto cycle, no other special care. I was a hair worried that the high pressure rinse might cause the film to lift off in corners and stuff, but that's just not the case. Don't worry and treat this wrap like you would regular paint - meaning avoid overly harsh brushes and damaging waxes.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve had mine since July and have the factory satin wrap. I take it through the touch less (just a wand that goes around the car with high pressure water and soap) on a fairly regular basis...in between hand washing. I’ve not seen any negative effects on the satin wrap.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:12 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by umbertob
I haven't washed my own car in about
about 15 years... Not laziness, HOA R&R of the gated community I live in. I have taken my satin wrapped Defender through the usual local "Hand" auto car wash I have been using at least 5 or 6 times since last September, the wrap looks as good as new.

I take it to a "hybrid" car wash where a couple of attendants do the initial rinsing, lathering up and wheel scrubbing by hand using hoses, mitts and brushes, then the car goes through a conveyor for a high pressure rinse, wax and air dry, and finally attendants jump back in and finish drying and polishing the exterior, vacuuming and cleaning the interior, etc. I just tell them not to apply waxes of any type during the auto cycle, no other special care. I was a hair worried that the high pressure rinse might cause the film to lift off in corners and stuff, but that's just not the case. Don't worry and treat this wrap like you would regular paint - meaning avoid overly harsh brushes and damaging waxes.
Is that due to water conservation?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:48 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

The HOA rules? Yes, water conservation (and related potential mess of downhill wastewater runoff... We live in a steep, hilly area behind Pasadena, CA.) You can hire waterless mobile detailers all day long - as long as they stay in your driveway - but no water car washing.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (02-02-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:32 PM
Overlanding

I really appreciate all the feedback. I had it detailed today by a mobile car service and I really like the satin finish now that I can see what it looks like when clean!

Quick Reply: Satin Finish how to Clean? Car wash safe?