Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Damn. Damn.

The following users liked this post:
rusd90 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 10:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve contacted my bank and asked for a recall of the wire. Filed the FBI report. Seems like the receiving bank’s (BofA) fraud department can easily find the owner of the account given the account number is known.

So many ways in hind sight I could have easily avoided this….simply ask for a copy of the business license and look it up at the state website. It was too good to be true and I wanted it too badly.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:50 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian95rrc
You might want to let this guy know his image is being used in a scam: https://www.instagram.com/ryanthelionnn/

Google reverse image search is a wonderful thing. https://www.instagram.com/p/BOnov-bg..._web_copy_link
Its built into chrome when you right click on the image. That bio pick and how it all started is pretty cheesy.

Also their are two 2021 defenders listed with classic defender photos. The photos are inconsistent with one another...show different dealerships in the backgrounds...most with Spanish signs....

Old 08-25-2021, 10:56 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sunlion
I’ve contacted my bank and asked for a recall of the wire. Filed the FBI report. Seems like the receiving bank’s (BofA) fraud department can easily find the owner of the account given the account number is known.

So many ways in hind sight I could have easily avoided this….simply ask for a copy of the business license and look it up at the state website. It was too good to be true and I wanted it too badly.
Hope you can get your money back. When its too good to be true it normally is.

My father did something similar around twenty years ago. Some guy was selling lap top computers that had been "seized by the government" or something and were being sold at a hefty discount. I showed my father the add as he was looking for a new computer and I recall laughing because to me it was obvious something was off. My father thinks hes getting a great deal goes and wires the guy money by western union that day. They require a code to pick up the money which my dad emails him without hesitation. He was blinded by the deal he thought he was getting and lost out on $2k. I felt bad that I had showed him the add never thinking he would actually do anything with it.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:28 AM
Mudding
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Can I ask what the price was?

Old 08-26-2021, 12:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Wow. I just googled their site name, clicked on it was taken to Altantic British Ltd. roverparts web site WEIRD

I studied the website you shared and I have to say it is very well done -- and realistically could con many people -- particularly if supported by a proper sounding person on the phone.

I do really hope you can recover the money.

I guess the thing to do next time for all of us is to ensure we have the VIN number and registration details and documents in hand before any money is exchanged -- and cease the purchasing by email -- see it only in person.

Lots to consider. Thank you for sharing this very difficult situation.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Wow. I just googled their site name, clicked on it was taken to Altantic British Ltd. roverparts web site WEIRD

I studied the website you shared and I have to say it is very well done -- and realistically could con many people -- particularly if supported by a proper sounding person on the phone.

I do really hope you can recover the money.

I guess the thing to do next time for all of us is to ensure we have the VIN number and registration details and documents in hand before any money is exchanged -- and cease the purchasing by email -- see it only in person.

Lots to consider. Thank you for sharing this very difficult situation.
First thing to look for if you think a site is sketchy; terms & conditions, privacy policy, license information, etc.

But I've built e-comm sites so it's easy to notice that the legally required info is completely absent.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 08-26-2021 at 04:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by _Allegedly:
GrouseK9 (08-26-2021), TrioLRowner (08-27-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 11:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Expensive lesson unfortunately

Originally Posted by sunlion
As stupid as I feel right now, posting in hopes of helping others recognize this type of scam.

Last Sunday, 3 days ago, I responded to a CL ad for a salvaged ‘21 Defender, photos, website, someone answered the phone every time I called. I reviewed the website, googled the location, everything seemed fine. Wired money Monday, calls answered, told paperwork was being prepped, checked in Tuesday after no paperwork, phone calls were answered, but became suspicious. Had a friend called the supposed dealership, and he had a conversation with them. He felt they seemed legit. Today, still no paperwork, and no answer of the number. Website is still up but the google map no longer links to the location. Investigated some - address is a medical/dental building. Asked for a recal of the wire with my bank, waiting to hear from the recipient bank and trying to get a detailed copy of the transaction. Unfortunately, I’m not too hopeful as wires are like sending cash.

https://www.pacificbreezerover.com/index.html

Feel so stupid. Very sophisticated scam. Proper English speaker, knowledgeable on the topic. Please be kind to me in your responses.
I know this is late now, and may not help you much, however, if you buy any vehicle in the future - remote, try this link:

https://pages.ebay.com/motors/servic...=&toolid=10001

E-Bay ( or some company there ) offers an inspection BEFORE you buy. I am not saying this company is the best or the only one, is just one of the many examples.
They will give you a report on the vehicle, and more important - you will know if there is such a vehicle.
Also, again, before you buy try to check the VIN against NICB. If the VIN comes out empty, or stolen, or something weird, run !
I know is relatively late now, but if you try to buy in the future online, maybe this advice may help.
Best of luck to you !

Old 08-27-2021, 07:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Contact your insurance company as your homeowners policy may provide some cybersecurity/fraud insurance. Also talk to your accountant, you may be able to deduct some of this transaction as a "loss" on your tax return.

The following 3 users liked this post by PaulLR:
ADVAW8S (08-27-2021), GrouseK9 (08-27-2021), TrioLRowner (08-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Scammed big time 😞