Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second Check Engine Light in 12 Months

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 02:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Second Check Engine Light in 12 Months

I’m currently out of town visiting some family and of course my check engine light comes on while heading back to my in-laws place after lunch this afternoon. I have a 22’ P300 110 which I’ve had for about a year now. The first check engine light happened after maybe 4 months of ownership resulting in a replacement turbo. Who knows what’s in store this time - the truck went into limp mode once again cutting power on a busy street with my 3 year old in the back seat.

I’m now waiting in a parking lot 3 hours outside of Chicago waiting for a tow truck to get the Defender back to my dealership. This is by far the coolest and best vehicle I’ve owned but I can’t help but seriously question my decision to buy a Land Rover at this point. Also hate to be the guy complaining about car problems on the internet since this really is a great truck (when it’s working).

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, I’d be interested in hearing what the issue was. Monday should be a great time when the Sevice dept. at the dealership opens back up.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

Question: is it still drivable? I'd just drive it home as long as it hasn't leaked all the oil and/or coolant out of it (which should be obvious). Say you break everything doing so, well, it's under warranty so they have to fix it.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Question: is it still drivable? I'd just drive it home as long as it hasn't leaked all the oil and/or coolant out of it (which should be obvious). Say you break everything doing so, well, it's under warranty so they have to fix it.
Technically but it doesn’t go over something like 30mph which would take me a crazy amount of time to get home. And this being the second similar issue, I just don’t trust it on the road right now. No coolant or oil leaks that I can see.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Good luck with it. I can totally understand why the people who've had no issues can say this is the best vehicle they've ever owned. It gets a lot harder to say when things like this start happening. The one good thing is for you it's happening under warranty, unfortunately for many of these other folks I fear there will be some rough seas ahead.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Chief65
Good luck with it. I can totally understand why the people who've had no issues can say this is the best vehicle they've ever owned. It gets a lot harder to say when things like this start happening. The one good thing is for you it's happening under warranty, unfortunately for many of these other folks I fear there will be some rough seas ahead.
Thanks I’ll see what happens.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Tkiel:

I had two turbos fail in succession in my 2016 Evoque 2.0L. The first was because rodents chewed the wiring harness, and the second occurred as I was departing the dealer site after an oil service. On the second one, I suspected the wiring was damaged during the filter change -- but the dealer said no, the failure was just a random one.

Both times I drove it home and to / from the dealer in limp mode without incident. Yes, it was slow going.

I did not have any other performance incidents with the vehicle, during the 4 years I owned it. It was a wonderful vehicle, but too small for my changing lifestyle, so traded it in on the new 2020 Defender. My wife and I saw a 2016 Evoque while out in the Defender yesterday, and both agreed it was a terrific small car (and wondered if we should have kept it!).

Enjoy !

Old 09-12-2022, 01:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
Tkiel:

I had two turbos fail in succession in my 2016 Evoque 2.0L. The first was because rodents chewed the wiring harness, and the second occurred as I was departing the dealer site after an oil service. On the second one, I suspected the wiring was damaged during the filter change -- but the dealer said no, the failure was just a random one.

Both times I drove it home and to / from the dealer in limp mode without incident. Yes, it was slow going.

I did not have any other performance incidents with the vehicle, during the 4 years I owned it. It was a wonderful vehicle, but too small for my changing lifestyle, so traded it in on the new 2020 Defender. My wife and I saw a 2016 Evoque while out in the Defender yesterday, and both agreed it was a terrific small car (and wondered if we should have kept it!).

Enjoy !
Now that is some bad luck! I’m going into the dealer later today to talk to them but unfortunately the string of issues I’ve had might be too much for me. I need something that I can confidently drive out of state not fearing a breakdown at any moment. I’m pretty bummed out about the whole thing - I do love this truck.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:19 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We've had two check-engine lights on our '22 P300. Up until 7k miles it was perfect. The past 1k has been not so great.

The first one happened right when it turned over 7k miles. CEL along with every other light on the dash. My wife was driving it at the time, of course. She was a block from the house so she kept going. When she pulled into the driveway, it wouldn't come out of drive, nor would it shut off (even holding the start button) or turn the parking brake on. She sat in the driveway for 30 minutes holding the brake until it finally decided to turn off - needless to say she wasn't pleased. Dealer had it for a week, did a SW update, and apparently it's good to go. Didn't help that it came back to us with a huge dent in the fender - back to service the next week for PDR...

The second one happened about two weeks after it came back from the first visit. Got in the car to leave, started it, and it would shudder and stall out repeatedly. Sat at the dealer for another two weeks as they diagnosed. Ended up being a bad FP control module. It's only done a few hundred miles since, so we'll see how it goes. Currently having intermittent idle issues when it's hot out. Coming to a stop, it drops below 500 RPM sometimes. No lights, so I'm not keen to have it sit at the dealer for another two weeks just to hear they can't diagnose anything.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by kpd122
We've had two check-engine lights on our '22 P300. Up until 7k miles it was perfect. The past 1k has been not so great.

The first one happened right when it turned over 7k miles. CEL along with every other light on the dash. My wife was driving it at the time, of course. She was a block from the house so she kept going. When she pulled into the driveway, it wouldn't come out of drive, nor would it shut off (even holding the start button) or turn the parking brake on. She sat in the driveway for 30 minutes holding the brake until it finally decided to turn off - needless to say she wasn't pleased. Dealer had it for a week, did a SW update, and apparently it's good to go. Didn't help that it came back to us with a huge dent in the fender - back to service the next week for PDR...

The second one happened about two weeks after it came back from the first visit. Got in the car to leave, started it, and it would shudder and stall out repeatedly. Sat at the dealer for another two weeks as they diagnosed. Ended up being a bad FP control module. It's only done a few hundred miles since, so we'll see how it goes. Currently having intermittent idle issues when it's hot out. Coming to a stop, it drops below 500 RPM sometimes. No lights, so I'm not keen to have it sit at the dealer for another two weeks just to hear they can't diagnose anything.
That sounds really frustrating. I went in yesterday and had them give me an offer to buy it back - it was a lowball offer since I guess they have a few more that have been sitting on the lot for a little while. Waiting on an update hopefully today or tomorrow as to what they think the issue is. I’m not overly confident it will be a definitive resolution. I’ll likely be off to CarMax and/or shopping trade-ins for another ride in the next few weeks.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:07 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tkiel
That sounds really frustrating. I went in yesterday and had them give me an offer to buy it back - it was a lowball offer since I guess they have a few more that have been sitting on the lot for a little while. Waiting on an update hopefully today or tomorrow as to what they think the issue is. I’m not overly confident it will be a definitive resolution. I’ll likely be off to CarMax and/or shopping trade-ins for another ride in the next few weeks.
Selling is tempting, especially with the values right now. I think I need to get it off road some more and have fun with it. Regardless of the issues, I need to downsize the fleet, so it's probably either this or my 911 that has to go. My biggest issue is that I'd be left driving my Disco every day, and I don't think there's a world where that would be any more reliable

Quick Reply: Second Check Engine Light in 12 Months