2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show your Lifts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

So what do you guys with lift rods think about the stuff new defender mods say about rods being not a recommended solution due to poor ride quality and handling effects. They no longer recommend them at all, favoring the sub frame lift (crazy expensive) and the lliams electronic unit instead.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:46 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

I think there are many ways to solve many problems. Each comes with their own pro's/con's and considerations for the informed. That's why I ask a CRAZY amount of Q's and it takes me a while to purchase something. Anyway, I think they have a great solution and they sell a VERY expensive product. I've never seen a seller of product A in competition with product/design B not slander it for a variety of valid/their belief reasons. I kinda expected to read that. And likely they have merit. But how they fit into your criteria and priorities will be different than mine, similar to others, yada yada yada. So basically, it doesn't overly concern me - it's just a consideration.

So my beliefs: if you are a hard core off-roader and will target the Defender solely or mainly for that activity - get a lift. If you are a now and then kind of off-roader who would like the option to put them in/out when you want extra lift - get the rods. The challenge happens if you have one set of wheels and option B might not work for you. Then you will have to do what they say: "compromise".

Personally, I've gone round and round which way I want to go. I think on a weekly basis, I change my mind. I'm not in a hurry as I want to burn more miles out of these tires first. But right now, after reading about the crazy engineering (and watching the video I can't remember who put out) about it, I want to stay pretty stock. However, I don't tow a lot (I have a large truck for that) with it, so I'm thinking about compromising on the brakes. So I'm now (again, "now") thinking of doing the caliper swap, going to 18 steelies, putting in stock tires in a brand I've had good experience with (I don't want to start the Nitto RG/KO2/Duramax religious debate - so leave it at that<g>. Oh, and I'll keep a set of Johnson Rods in the boot as that seems to be a super easy trail swap in case of need.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 08-06-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by GrouseK9
So my beliefs: if you are a hard core off-roader and will target the Defender solely or mainly for that activity - get a lift.
Heh I disagree, if that's your use case get a Rubicon and lift that

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 01:51 PM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The dealer will install lift rods and there's not a lot of downsides with them as far as comfort, risk, etc. I can't imagine what a subframe lift would do to your warranty and with LR vehicles, you want a valid warranty. Want big lift, big tires, hardcore off roader... get a different vehicle.

dbcolimon@gmail.com (08-09-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 03:38 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by BigJoeJack
The dealer will install lift rods and there's not a lot of downsides with them as far as comfort, risk, etc. I can't imagine what a subframe lift would do to your warranty and with LR vehicles, you want a valid warranty. Want big lift, big tires, hardcore off roader... get a different vehicle.
I'm not a lawyer and it's been a while since I've stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, but what a Dealer does to your vehicle doesn't have a lot to do with the Warranty. Generally they play within the rules, but adding Lift Rods, by the Dealer or not, could invalidate the warranty of the suspension/steering by JLR-USA. There's been many threads of folks saying what Dealers do, have issues and regardless of who - it's not approved. Low risk I agree, but if there's something associated with the problem the Warranty folks (who aren't within your local dealer) would love to kick it.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 268 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoeJack
The main downsides of the rods seem to be some loss if ride quality, loss of down travel, permanently stiffer ride, and possible additional stress on steering and suspension. Like spacers, these downsides are probably minimal with the 1 inch, and more prominent with the longer rods. Only reason I can ever see wanting rods is for bigger tires, but I’m good with 32’s and would go to 18’s before ever thinking of going to 33’s. I just can’t see ever driving around all the time on something that even messes with stock suspension slightly.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Tartan, I have a 1.5" rod lift with 33" tires and I can tell no difference with ride quality, noise, etc. I drive all day long in town and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The following 3 users liked this post by BigJoeJack:
dbcolimon@gmail.com (08-09-2021), GrouseK9 (08-09-2021), RogueClimber (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Mudding
Received 147 Likes on 83 Posts

From what I've seen on install videos, a moderate rod lift to safely fit 33s can be removed in a few minutes and returned to stock when it needs to go in for servicing. Seems like a win-win besides the theoretical reduction of air suspension component lifespan.

GrouseK9 (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:01 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

air suspension modification has been around for the longest time. usually in my past was to lower cars which would require a shorten rod or adjustable.

these rods are easily installed and removed. will they add additional wear to your air suspension. Definitely.

but for all those that had a car with air suspension in the past you already know that the air bags or compressor will go bad in around 50k miles no matter if you messed with it or not.

i have the proud rhino 1 inch. choose it cause of the lift amlunt. no other reason. i am sure all options on the market are just as good

Old 08-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I agree w/ @Tartan . My approach to getting more rubber is by going to 18's first.

Quick Reply: Show your Lifts!