Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ski Rack...wheel mounted?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 02:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Ski Rack...wheel mounted?

I am looking for options for rack mounting my skis on the spare tire. I've seen an option out there from overseas, but also see it is not really available anymore either...at least not at this point currently. Here...
Fabbri Gringo Fabbri Gringo

I saw another gentleman who had done a DIY, which was great, but I am lacking in the DIY abilities category.

I've currently got the OEM roof mount racks, but already dislike them (whistle & rattle). Have seen the swing away 1up options for hitch mounting...but that seems like a hassle when fussing around in ski gear and all.

Just like the thought of a rear tire mount option. Seems cleaner and more convenient with the rear door swing.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

If you google "Spare tire ski rack" you will get about a million different options

Old 10-30-2023, 05:38 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
If you google "Spare tire ski rack" you will get about a million different options
i appreciate that helpful advice. I’d not thought of that. Thanks!

Looking for the groups opinions. Options others have that they may have positive or negative opinions of.

Old 10-30-2023, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts

My opinion would be not to carry my skis behind my car. I guess if you're traveling where there's no snow/slush/salt it'd be fine. No way I'd want my skis as dirty and grimy as the ones I see behind cars. But good luck in your search.

Keystone opens Wednesday.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 10:22 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by foggy
My opinion would be not to carry my skis behind my car. I guess if you're traveling where there's no snow/slush/salt it'd be fine. No way I'd want my skis as dirty and grimy as the ones I see behind cars. But good luck in your search.

Keystone opens Wednesday.
foggy...that makes sense. I guess I just figured that I'm about 10 minutes from Park City & Deer Valley that having them back there for the short haul wouldn't be a big deal, but that is definitely something to think about.

Jealous you all are opening up already. Saw A-Basin opened this past weekend also.

Old 10-31-2023, 12:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,306 Likes on 951 Posts

The back of my Defender gets plastered in crud during winter but I travel a little shy of an hour to ski.

I'd not want my skis back there but I can understand that having a shorter commute and perhaps garage clearance issues could require a rear mounted solution.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ditdot
foggy...that makes sense. I guess I just figured that I'm about 10 minutes from Park City & Deer Valley that having them back there for the short haul wouldn't be a big deal, but that is definitely something to think about.

Jealous you all are opening up already. Saw A-Basin opened this past weekend also.
I live in Breck, so have a very short trip to the slopes. Keystone takes about 20 minutes. Point is if your typical drive is 10 minutes, I'd try to find a way to carry inside the truck. I have a 90 and am able to do this. If carrying 4 people, it'd be more difficult. If we have 4, we'll take the GX. But use the exact same method. I'm assuming you have a 110 which should be very similar to the GX.

It's just so convenient and clean. I carry a plastic storage container to throw the boots in after skiing just so I don't get so much water in the back. Just quickly wipe down the skis with my gloves.

Old 10-31-2023, 08:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

on the back is OK if you cover the bindings so they dont get all messed up. dirt comes off the rest of the skiis. i used leg gators in the past to cover the bindings but that ages me as i havent seen gators in years

Old 10-31-2023, 09:57 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by foggy
I live in Breck, so have a very short trip to the slopes. Keystone takes about 20 minutes. Point is if your typical drive is 10 minutes, I'd try to find a way to carry inside the truck. I have a 90 and am able to do this. If carrying 4 people, it'd be more difficult. If we have 4, we'll take the GX. But use the exact same method. I'm assuming you have a 110 which should be very similar to the GX.

It's just so convenient and clean. I carry a plastic storage container to throw the boots in after skiing just so I don't get so much water in the back. Just quickly wipe down the skis with my gloves.
Breck is where I was moving (and also my name) before shifting gears to Park City area.

I appreciate your point of view. It all makes complete sense. I guess I was just looking at a way that may have been easier, but that obviously comes with its own set of detractors.

I did haul them in the back of the Macan I had last year and that was just kind of a pain, though I expect the 110 to be at least a bit more convenient due to the extra space. I thought I would be good with the roof rack, but damn that thing is noisy!

The following users liked this post:
foggy (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:58 AM
4wd Low
Smile

Originally Posted by JP00033
on the back is OK if you cover the bindings so they dont get all messed up. dirt comes off the rest of the skiis. i used leg gators in the past to cover the bindings but that ages me as i havent seen gators in years
You're just seasoned. ;-)

Quick Reply: Ski Rack...wheel mounted?