2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sluggish Acceleration - P400 (after driving for a few minuets)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 11:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven’t looked for discoloration, but see my other thread. My P400 was running great. They did the PCV recall work and now it is running like you describe. Runs decently when cold, and then starts revving and choking when warmed up. Post-PCV fix. Hmmmmm…..

Old 05-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is an anticlimactic update;

I just received my Defender back, after almost two weeks. They thought it had something to do with the electrical supercharger, so they had it replaced. I couldn't figure out why would that be the problem but I let them do their thing.
I picked it up yesterday, no change. I've also learned that the foreman of the shop was not there for the last two weeks, so I'm not sure who worked on it.

I'm really at a loss here. I'm considering keeping the Defender for a few weeks with the hope that something changes, I don't know what else to do...🧐

Old 05-14-2022, 03:44 PM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

If it were me I'd do the following:
  • Get the owner of the dealership involved
  • Contact JLR corporate

The following 2 users liked this post by MattF:
GrouseK9 (05-14-2022), PaulLR (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:47 AM
Drifting

So I'm driving all weekend trying to figure out what could it be, and I noticed that when the power decline happens, I don't hear the turbo sucking air as much (if at all).
I noticed it when I was doing a video call with brother, who was a service manager for LR for 10 years (but prior to the new generation). He mentioned that there was a hiccup at 2500 RPM and mentioned it could be turbo related.
I also talked to a friend who's buddy has been having the same exact issue with his 2020 Defender (4 cylinders), and is in the process of a Lemon buy back because his dealership couldn't resolve the issue.
I will call him today to find out his experience with it, I'm not interested in a Lemon buy back, I just want it fixed.

I'm going to talk to the service manager today, we'll see how it goes.

Old 05-16-2022, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DEFENDER2020
So I'm driving all weekend trying to figure out what could it be, and I noticed that when the power decline happens, I don't hear the turbo sucking air as much (if at all).
I noticed it when I was doing a video call with brother, who was a service manager for LR for 10 years (but prior to the new generation). He mentioned that there was a hiccup at 2500 RPM and mentioned it could be turbo related.
I also talked to a friend who's buddy has been having the same exact issue with his 2020 Defender (4 cylinders), and is in the process of a Lemon buy back because his dealership couldn't resolve the issue.
I will call him today to find out his experience with it, I'm not interested in a Lemon buy back, I just want it fixed.

I'm going to talk to the service manager today, we'll see how it goes.
I can’t remember if I commented here before but wanted to mention that needed to have the turbo replaced after 1500 or so miles on my P300 S. There was a noticeable high pitched whirring sound upon acceleration and eventually a near complete loss of power while I was on the highway going out of town one morning. No issues since though after the replacement turbo was installed.

I would think your dealer would be able to tell if that was the issue pretty easily though right?

Old 05-16-2022, 06:21 PM
Drifting

I talked to my service rep today, trying to schedule a meeting with the service manager this week.

I think it is the turbo as well, they just replaced the electric supercharger but no change.
They are not paying for any of this, it is all covered by the English. So replacing the turbo should be easy enough (says the guy that doesn't have to do it &#128540

Fingers crossed, I hope that is the problem.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DEFENDER2020
I talked to my service rep today, trying to schedule a meeting with the service manager this week.

I think it is the turbo as well, they just replaced the electric supercharger but no change.
They are not paying for any of this, it is all covered by the English. So replacing the turbo should be easy enough (says the guy that doesn't have to do it &#128540

Fingers crossed, I hope that is the problem.
Sounds like it probably is. The tech said it was a pain in the *** to replace but the job got done in 2 or 3 days after the replacement turbo finally arrived.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:46 AM
Drifting

A Quick Update:
The Defender has been in the shop now for about 2 weeks, they found a small 'needle' gage of sorts that was bent, but it was not the problem.
They said it is not the turbo and started a case with Land Rover USA engineering in New Jersey.
They are now saying that it might be the electric supercharger, even though it was just replaced. They are saying that these superchargers are arriving defective from Land Rover, and that it could be the problem.
So they will change the electric supercharger again... I remain hopeful 🤞🏼.

There is nothing quite like the Defender on the market, I'm not getting a Bronco!

Old 06-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Oh boy, hang in there. I'm sure it will eventually get sorted, interesting update though.

I have ... a... really dumb question. Is this electric supercharger DIFFERENT than whatever the alternator thing is / whatever starts the car / acts as the alternator since it has "no starter"? I thought it was all the same thing (supercharger, generator, starter). I really don't fully understand this technology tbh.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Oh boy, hang in there. I'm sure it will eventually get sorted, interesting update though.

I have ... a... really dumb question. Is this electric supercharger DIFFERENT than whatever the alternator thing is / whatever starts the car / acts as the alternator since it has "no starter"? I thought it was all the same thing (supercharger, generator, starter). I really don't fully understand this technology tbh.
Turbos charge up by using the force of the exhaust gas as the vehicle accelerates. They then use that charge to force more fresh air into the engine once they kick in. This is why turbos have "lag".

An electric supercharger in a MHEV uses 48v batteries that scavenge power during deceleration (regenerative braking, etc.). This electrical charge is used to power a blower that forces air into the engine during the early stage of acceleration.

The combination gives a smoother boost and regeneratively braking helps extend the life of the pads and rotors.

Alternators are basically a generator that uses some of the engine's rotational force (via the belt) to create electricity to charge the 12v battery.

Starters use the 12v battery to crank the engine to start it.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 06-10-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Sluggish Acceleration - P400 (after driving for a few minuets)