Sponsored by:

Software Update Sucks - Defender 2020

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 03:53 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Software Update Sucks - Defender 2020

Software Update Sucks!

SWITZERLAND has turned off the ability to do updates!
I got the clever answer from the Swiss Land Rover support that if you want to do an update you'll need to contact the dealer!

I don't understand that that SWITZERLAND takes away one of the big sales arguments as the over air updates???

First, in order to update your new modern Defender 2020, you'll need to get an education from Land Rover with a Diploma!
If you want to try to achieve the update yourself you need to watch 5 youtube videos, read every thread on the internet, and still, your chance of succeeding is about 10%.
Land Rover has totally neglected to have a solid information portal where they share the latest updates, territories released, release dates, bugs reported, and so on! If there would be a consumer satisfaction survey I would rate the product and the purchase on a 2 because of the time and effort you need to spend on a not market-ready product!
  • Reset your system
  • Unplug your battery
  • Charge your battery
  • Stable Wi-Fi connection
  • Wait for hours to see if something happened! And if nothing happened, wait for another couple of hours!
  • And so on...
All those things Land Rover did not mention when you promised hassle free updates over "AIR"!!
Land Rovers ambition is an utopia! Land Rovers software team must be so proud! Good job!
What is UX, consumer journey, consumer usability, user friendliness, logic thinking?

Maybe Land Rover should have a look at Apple or Microsoft how a normal update works?

I give up!

P

Last edited by par@pelle.se; 02-09-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:36 AM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry you're having troubles. As I've mentioned earlier, the dev team really needs to create a "check for updates" button so that folks can force a download and/at least help rule in/out certain kind of issues. Agree that online documentation needs to get much better. I think there's a lot we still don't know about how SOTA is supposed to work -- e.g., I think it's clear that different trims / equipment / regions might have different versions that are deemed current by JLR. I also think it's not very likely that hard resets of PIVI Pro trigger an immediate download... I wouldn't recommend sitting and waiting/watching... best to lock up (yes, locking seems to have some kind of impact, at least anecdotally) and see what happens in a few hours. There are other conditions the truck might be in that inhibits downloads, such as a battery level that is deemed less than ideal or potentially a poor signal. It's also clear that dealers are not equipped to do tech support for PIVI Pro at this point, and JLR should staff a tech support team that can troubleshoot.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by patpatriot6
Sorry you're having troubles. As I've mentioned earlier, the dev team really needs to create a "check for updates" button so that folks can force a download and/at least help rule in/out certain kind of issues. Agree that online documentation needs to get much better. I think there's a lot we still don't know about how SOTA is supposed to work -- e.g., I think it's clear that different trims / equipment / regions might have different versions that are deemed current by JLR. I also think it's not very likely that hard resets of PIVI Pro trigger an immediate download... I wouldn't recommend sitting and waiting/watching... best to lock up (yes, locking seems to have some kind of impact, at least anecdotally) and see what happens in a few hours. There are other conditions the truck might be in that inhibits downloads, such as a battery level that is deemed less than ideal or potentially a poor signal. It's also clear that dealers are not equipped to do tech support for PIVI Pro at this point, and JLR should staff a tech support team that can troubleshoot.
Also would add that it seems to help if you connect your vehicle to WIFI. I was having some issues the first time mine updated and now more recently, I have had a couple updates with no problems at all. Also the more recent updates seemed to resolve a few bugs and overall performance of PIVI Pro.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:10 AM
Drifting
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I've not had issues with the software updates themselves, other than it seems a tad ridiculous you can't drive the vehicle for 30-60 mins while it updates, so plan accordingly.

The bigger issue here is the entire Pivi Pro system is not ready for prime time. It's one of the most buggy, error-prone pieces of garbage I think I've ever seen in a vehicle. If it consistently worked, it has some great features. For example, I like being able to stream Spotify without using my phone - except I am finding I have to do a hard reset of the system between 1-10 times a week. I like the satellite view nav system without using Google Maps via Apple CarPlay.

Land Rover corporate does a completely UNACCEPTABLE job at detailing software updates, what they include, when they are being rolled out (sometimes, it seems as though folks in one country get the update WEEKS before it rolls out elsewhere), and some instructions about how best to ensure you receive them (e.g. connect to wifi in the garage, etc.). Reading the manual that came with the vehicle is of no use whatsoever because that document was written by a 5 year old. It says nothing.

I love driving my new Defender and I love the fact they brought the brand back. It looks great and it's a fun vehicle to have, but it feels like an early 80s Jaguar where you push a button to lower the driver's side window and the windshield wipers come on. The overall experience with the Pivi Pro system is beyond bad and I can only hope Land Rover reads these forums. They made a massive miss on this one.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha! I agree- although I love the Defender and have yet to have any serious issues, its lots of small ones with PIVI Pro. If it consistently worked I'd be thrilled. The UX design is awesome, looks beautiful and if it actually delivered as promised could be one of the best in the market. I am actually surprised they are rolling out PIVI Pro across the JLR line up as it stands... I know most on here are due to resolve a solution to a problem, I wonder how widespread these issues are? my guess is very much so.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Came from a Tesla and so I expected the difference in software to be night and day.....it sure is. Nobody does car software like Tesla, but the bugs in Pivi are laughably bad (I actually do laugh at them and now I'm sending photos to friends because it's like a running gag, which is not really what you want for your car software system).

In the past week, I've had:
- the European speed signs started displaying for about 20 minutes while driving, that one was pretty great. They were accurate at least, and amusing with their adorable little circles
- Spotify is gone. I can use it through Android auto because it's on my phone, but it's disappeared even after reboots and doesn't show up as a list of music apps that I can add
- Weather is gone. Where? I have no idea. Maybe it's in the hidden recycle bin with Spotify? A few days ago I went to check the forecast and the weather app was just completely missing and still is.
- Sirius was stuck on some Bruno Mars song for about 6 days straight, even after reboots. The song wouldn't play and no stations could be selected. I don't even like Bruno Mars, so even though I couldn't hear the song, it was disappointing that that's what it chose to get stuck on.
- Music in general stops working frequently. FM radio can't be selected, bluetooth or android music won't play. Some apps won't run because the system is still "initializing". This bug happens frequently. Probably 1 in 6 times getting in the car it's russian roulette on whether or not I'll get to listen to music.
- black screen, just nothing until a reboot
- settings not saving, mainly auto-dimming high beams but I know there were a few others
- probably a couple of other things I forgot because the list is already overwhelming

Love the vehicle and bought it for so many other reasons than the software, but my goodness Pivi is a slight train wreck. It looks terrific, the design is really nice, but the number of bugs makes one think that there are some very fundamental low-level issues in their OS. Holding on to hope that since this system is used across multiple models, development will continue and they'll deal with these problems. Again, Tesla has it down on the software side and it was great to see improvements on an almost monthly basis....hoping our Defenders receive continual updates to the point where we can look back and reminisce about these kinds of bugs.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Mudding
Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

i only drive my car short distances a couple of times per week. so, maybe it's the brief time i spend in the car, but i've had none of the issues people are reporting. but i also don't mess around with spotfy and weather, etc. i use xm and bt audio from my iphone and it has always worked fine.

also, for high beam assist are folks that see it disabled overriding it by pulling the stalk? manual says you have to rotate back to auto to reenable ahba. https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2408840

when i first got the 110 i was manually invoking high beams and was confused why auto mode wasn't working. since reenabling ahba and letting it do its thing (never manually invoking high beams) it's worked flawlessly.

The following users liked this post:
DefenderSmitty (02-07-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I use my P300 daily and have had a similar journey through the PIVI issues. Now most all seem resolved. It still occasionally get a warning about emergency braking not available but am beginning to think it is a battery that has a low charge state. I have an appointment at the dealer to check it out. There were some issues around the initial batteries and the management system for them discussed here which has caused me to start looking at battery state of charge. I will report back next week on this item. The AHBA does not work like the manual states as far as returning to automatic operation. I find of I have overridden the system that a double push forward on stalk restores it or unlike manual twisting the light controls off and then twisting light controls to auto.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:31 AM
Mudding
Received 91 Likes on 43 Posts

This is what I’m running in my US spec July 2020 built P400 HSE Defender. Anyone running anything later?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:56 AM
Mudding
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I am running the same but received my update last month. As someone stated- it would be nice to understand update timing logic and maybe a few more details

Quick Reply: Software Update Sucks - Defender 2020