Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start/Stop button fail?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 11:15 PM
Mudding
Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Start/Stop button fail?

My start/stop button sometimes take 3 to 5 pushes to make anything happen. Has anyone else had this problem? I replaced the key fob battery this evening but it made no difference. Soooooooo frustrating

Old 06-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I find that to sort of be the case with a few of the buttons. I've been chalking it up to not pressing correctly... ignition button acts this way at times too...

Old 06-05-2023, 11:40 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

i had a few start/stop button fails a while back and changed the battery in my key fob. no issues since. while i can't 100% confirm this was the cause, it's an easy swap and might be the fix. good luck.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

key fob battery lasts maybe a year, and if you have other stuff in your pocket it can block until you start shifting around to figure out what the deal is with the button.

I've had a few moments but they were all the nut loose behind the steering wheel related and not the car. I drive an electric car too much and expect it to just start moving when I hop in sometimes.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

I have noticed that if I press the start/stop button too fast that it will not operate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nuckle:
Defenderphil (06-05-2023), IBarelyKnowEr (12-10-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 07:04 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If the fob battery was fresh when installed it will last 4-6 yrs by me experience with lots of cars

Old 06-05-2023, 10:53 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Defenderphil
If the fob battery was fresh when installed it will last 4-6 yrs by me experience with lots of cars
That's really no longer the case with modern key fobs, the older style ones sure lasted a long time - but that was because they only used power when the button was pressed.
Modern key fobs are constantly looking to communicate with the car and using power the entire time, best to replace the battery in them every 12 months.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:55 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by atxatxatx
That's really no longer the case with modern key fobs, the older style ones sure lasted a long time - but that was because they only used power when the button was pressed.
Modern key fobs are constantly looking to communicate with the car and using power the entire time, best to replace the battery in them every 12 months.
The other way around.
typical designs, the car continually transmits a low-frequency (e.g., 135 kHz) radio signal to wake up any wireless keys within range. When a key receives this signal, it replies with a VHF (e.g., 315 MHz) signal, and the car unlocks or starts when a door is opened or the start button is pressed.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:39 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Defenderphil
The other way around.
typical designs, the car continually transmits a low-frequency (e.g., 135 kHz) radio signal to wake up any wireless keys within range. When a key receives this signal, it replies with a VHF (e.g., 315 MHz) signal, and the car unlocks or starts when a door is opened or the start button is pressed.
The key is still consuming power in its wait state, is that correct ?

Old 06-08-2023, 08:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

I believe if you carry the key around you engage the battery more. most higher end cars have a movement sensor that 'powers' up the key some. This is an anti-theft feature to stop those 'key scanning' theft attempts. I don't know for certain this is in the Defender's key, but I know it was in our Polestar 2's key. So if you don't keep it in a purse or pocket while you're doing your daily work and leave it on a table or key hook it should last a bit longer.

That said I've noticed as time goes on the newer cars batteries in the key fob last a lot less. I have a stack of CR2032s for a lot of things like car keys

Quick Reply: Start/Stop button fail?