2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 10:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.

Ok, this morning started my 2022 110 X-Dynamic as usual, everything looked ok except when I wanted to drive away, the steering wheel was locked.

The dealership advised getting out, locking the car and moving out of range for 30mins. That didn't work, so it's a recovery to the dealership.

Anyone experienced this?

Cheers

Old 12-15-2021, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

Sorry to hear about the probs, @Elektrapops . I haven't read a thread with your exact problem, but I'm optimistic someone may be able to help. Here's a wild response if you want to try it out. No, it doesn't involve waiting for a full moon or throwing salt over your shoulder. In many of my vehicles, I've had the steering wheel lock and not unlock when starting the vehicle. However I could turn the wheel maybe an inch or two. In order to "unlock" the ignition and thus the steering wheel, I would have to pull the wheel hard the 1-2" of "play" and then start it. For some crazy reason, it would then start and unlock the wheel.

If I was waiting for a tow from the dealer, I'd try that first. It's a low likelihood, but may work.

The more important thing is to go into the iOwner manual and look up vehicle recovery. Before having BillyBob tow your Defender, make sure you find the "Vehicle Recovery Guide" (Publication Part No. LRL 18 03 68 201). There's a LOT to freeing up the automatic brakes & transmission to allow it to either be towed or flat bedded. If I could attach PDF's I'd do it from TOPiX. Otherwise start in iOwners manual here: https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2389896

The following users liked this post:
Elektrapops (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 03:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the suggestions GrouseK9. I did try the 'unlock' the wheel (I've had steering wheel lock-ups on older cars) but it wouldn't budge. The car could drive ffwd and reverse, so all the electronics and sensors seemed to work, no alarms etc. I wasn't here when the recovery vehicle came but he simply maneuvered the truck bed so the car went up really straight.

I find it coincidental that I've had other issues all happen after the 3.0 Pivi update 2 weeks ago, ie:
- all my destinations were deleted;
- the Navigation speech control response has gone temperamental;
- my music player won't remember the last track, or station;
- the screen occasionally dims too much to see details on reversing;
- and now this frozen steering.

I'll keep posting on this.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry to hear. Did not even know the steering column locked and no mention at all of it in the owners manual (not surprised there though). @GrouseK9 anything on TOPiX re steering column lock?

Old 12-15-2021, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi Juanci, I have a feeling it's not a 'wheel lock' in the usual sense, I have a feeling it's a technical/electronic issue.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Elektrapops
Hi Juanci, I have a feeling it's not a 'wheel lock' in the usual sense, I have a feeling it's a technical/electronic issue.
Yep would think the same. Have you tried with the spare fob?

Old 12-15-2021, 03:37 PM
Three Wheeling

I did indeed, and no luck there.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,255 Likes on 747 Posts

@Juancl - TOPiX is TERRIBLE as a search engine. It's tough to find diagnostic information. Sad, but true. Could be that I have an Independent subscription, but it really is lame re: discovery. If it weren't behind an authentication, I'd use Google search across the site. Sadly, not and I couldn't find anything remotely re: it.

@Elektrapops - Definitely sounding like you have some minor evil deity from Lucas, Lord of Darkness in there. I'm crossing my fingers that after the Dealer flashes a reset that you're back in good graces again. Good luck!

Elektrapops (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Winching
Received 610 Likes on 290 Posts

Reading this thread, my thoughts are along those from Elektrapops. Older vehicles use a mechanical steering wheel lock, that engages when the key is removed. Once helped a woman in a parking lot who claimed her car wouldn’t start. Got out my jumper cables, only to find out that the wheel had tension on it while locked and the key would not turn, leading her to state that the car wouldn’t start, not that she couldn’t turn the key. That is when one would take pressure off the locking mechanism by turning the wheel against the lock while turning the key. That isn’t the case here, because there is no key to turn. Not 100% sure, but I believe the Defender, using electric steering doesn’t have the hydraulic system in most cars; steering rack, hydraulic steering pump, etc. Sounds like it’s strictly an electronic or software issue. Could be something as simple as a blown fuse, or bad relay, but that would be wishful thinking. Probably a little more involved than that. Good luck with getting it remedied.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
Elektrapops (12-15-2021), GrouseK9 (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 04:18 PM
Mudding
Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

It's an electric steering column lock, but so far I cannot find the wiring diagram for that module.

Juancl (12-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Steering wheel locked, but the rest seems ok.