2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ladder vs. Lucky8 Proud Rhino?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Stock ladder vs. Lucky8 Proud Rhino?

(context: doing build homework)

Proud Rhino looks like it has the same utility as the stock, but doesn't stick out as a sore thumb, doesn't add drag, and won't catch as many branches. The only upside to the standard ladder that I see from my point of zero experience with the vehicle is the fact that there are aftermarket contraptions to hold RotopaX containers, but then again, they can be mounted to the spare tire otherwise.

Any other non-obvious advantages the stock ladder has?

PS: Just found this video:
- at about 32:00 they show how the ladder rattles in the closed position, however, later they mention that they forgot to install a piece, but say nothing about whether that missing piece removed the rattle. Does it? Or the stock ladder is that loose?

Last edited by Vadiable Paradox; 01-16-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:34 AM
Winching
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

The stock ladder does not rattle at all. Personally, I like the looks of the OEM stock ladder versus the lucky8 one especially with the OEM Expedition rack.

The following 5 users liked this post by wcc18999:
DeadEndMike (08-30-2023), DonMitsu (02-21-2023), ficklma1 (01-17-2023), Huc (01-18-2023), this_account_is_mt (01-17-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 07:33 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

I was considering the Luck 8 ladder for the wonderful vintage look. But upon closer inspection it would basically eliminate one entire side of back up lights. The factory is partially blocked and I have to remove the Powerful UK kit I installed.

The following users liked this post:
Jiman01 (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 12:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

A big advantage for me in having a side ladder is that it allows me to reach far more of the rack when I'm stood on the ladder itself. A rear ladder would not confer this advantage. Useful when arranging skis and poles, digging things out of roof boxes, removing recovery boards etc.

I use the ladder at least once or twice a week. I'm a big fan of its design and usefulness.

On drag. I'm no aerodynamicist but don't notice any buffeting noises from that area. I suspect (generous pinch of salt here), that given the tapered shape of the Defender (fatter to the front) it sits in the lee of the Defender's fridge-shaped front end.

As others have said. No rattle in it whatsoever.

The following 5 users liked this post by GavinC:
Craig_RRS2013 (01-17-2023), DonMitsu (02-21-2023), drcoop (01-16-2023), nashvegas (01-16-2023), Vadiable Paradox (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Industrial design cohesiveness!

The stock ladder shares the same modern minimalist elegant design language throughout the defender. Many of the aftermarket ladders and roof racks and such are traditionalistic, rugged and nostalgic which in terms of design are actually not cohesive with the rest of the vehicle.

Defendit.. (01-16-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,590 Likes on 1,306 Posts

On tight trails the rear mount ladder wins hands down. The hips are pretty wide on the Defender and the ladder is just adding another catch point. I tend to use a rear ladder to get up on the rack do what I need and climb down.

Everyone will have a preference that one is mine

Old 01-17-2023, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

Style is a very personal choice. Some like the looks of the OEM better than the Lucky8/Rhino, some the other way. I went old school and purchased the rear version. It is true that you lose one of the PowerfulUK reverse light mounting points. I was VERY bummed about that because I loved the reverse upgrades. They should have been what JLR had installed. But, I've since installed rear lights for when Overlanding and they are BRIGHT. Now, no more problems! Here's my thread on the lights (Link) and my thread on the ladder (Link). I have since replaced my redneck step with the version from PowerfulUk (Link). Their standard is a right hand step, but if you tell them - they will make it for the left. It works very well and can quickly be taken off when needed. When off-roading, I sometimes just take it off ahead of time.

These links go into both items with a lot of info from others, so hopefully you find something in there to help. Good luck.

ficklma1 (01-17-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 01:02 AM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sacharama
Industrial design cohesiveness!

The stock ladder shares the same modern minimalist elegant design language throughout the defender. Many of the aftermarket ladders and roof racks and such are traditionalistic, rugged and nostalgic which in terms of design are actually not cohesive with the rest of the vehicle.
The stock ladder and lunch box are the worst designed and looking accessories ever made for a vehicle, I’m not sure what JLR were thinking with these two accessories, but IMO nothing screams mall crawler more than these two atrocities.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 235 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cbauer210
The stock ladder and lunch box are the worst designed and looking accessories ever made for a vehicle, I’m not sure what JLR were thinking with these two accessories, but IMO nothing screams mall crawler more than these two atrocities.
What the designers at JLR thinking were modernism, elegance, innovation and sophistication. You are of course entitled to your opinions and feelings and that's also the reason why there are companies that make "old school rugged" type of accessories for folks that share your view.

The following 2 users liked this post by sacharama:
ficklma1 (02-20-2023), paule (11-28-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 02:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cbauer210
Interesting. I think the JLR side ladder has really grown on me. To the point I'm considering installing it as access to cross bars or a roof rack (not sure which yet). But as mentioned above, I like having access from the side in order to more easily reach the front of the roof rack itself.

While I wish the side ladder was all black, I think it looks nice for what it is and fits better with the aesthetic of the new Defender, as opposed to the rear mount ladder approach. Just my opinion though, and you know how that goes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Siddious33:
paule (11-28-2023), sacharama (02-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Stock ladder vs. Lucky8 Proud Rhino?