Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuttering wipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 09:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sblvro
Try a 1000 grade sand paper and smoothen the wiping surface. That should help.
Noooooo please no

Old 10-29-2021, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mreloc
My 90 has a few hundred miles and living in south Florida, I get the chance to use the wipers regularly. They are awful, stuttering across the windshield under most circumstances. I've tried cleaning with windshield and blades with rubbing alcohol in case there was some sort of residue causing the problem, but no change. Anyone else notice this? If so- can it be corrected with better aftermarket blades - which ones? First LR, so hopefully aftermarket blades contain the propoer adaptors to fit the arms.
Hi mreloc,

I have a 90 too and live in Naples (we invented rain) anyway mine stuttered too, see my pic, both RainX products are available in the wiper isle at Walmart, I have not seen the X-treme Clean anywhere else. Use a microfiber to apply X-treme Clean and then buff off, follow with Stoners Invisble Glass cleaner and a microfiber towel , then do a couple coats of RainX Water Repellent. You should be good.

The following users liked this post:
GrouseK9 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,412 Likes on 713 Posts

I've always used the Michelin brand blades from Costco on our Jags and they work well in Florida.

Not 100% that they'll fit a Defender but they include adaptors for almost any car and Jag should be similar/same as long as the squirt isn't built-in?

The only one they don't have is the rear blade for the F- Pace so I end up paying three or four times the amount for that blade in an OEM and it lasts half as long as the Michelins.

Last edited by _Allegedly; 10-29-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:34 PM
Winching
Received 561 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Country
Hi mreloc,

I have a 90 too and live in Naples (we invented rain)
Meh. Pizza, maybe.

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (04-21-2022)
Old 10-29-2021, 05:38 PM
Mudding
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Rancher
My wipers continue to judder across the windshield. It was bucketing in Seattle today and I had to be driving on the highway for a couple of hours, so I had plenty of time to analyze further. The video captures the annoying noise and lack of function. The rain was just starting in the video, so please don't take the relative lack of rain on the windshield as a reason for the juddering. Believe me, they did the same thing all afternoon in the downpour. When I put them on high speed, they didn't judder anymore, but are still annoyingly loud and they seem to be hitting the edge of the windshield. I'm over 60 and I've never had this happen before. I can't use regular speed or intermittent. Most of the time, I am manually doing a single sweep.
I had my windshield replaced due to damage and then applied the Shatter-X product to the new windshield -- and had similar issues. Wipers on highest setting would generally be ok, slower speeds chattered. I cleaned the blades with alcohol as part of the Shatter-X application, which clearly didn't do the trick. I then washed the blades with simple dish soap -- and it appears to have solved the issue. My next step was going to be remove the Shatter-X (lots of soap should do that). I'm not sure if the root cause was the new windshield or Shatter-X.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by umbertob
Meh. Pizza, maybe.
LOL.....that too, I forgot

Old 10-30-2021, 03:37 PM
Mudding
Received 270 Likes on 108 Posts

I use WD40 on the wipers - removes the film/dirt from the manufacturing process.
And “Nu-Finish” liquid car polish on the glass. Makes it super slippery.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Wipers appear to be fixed! Here's what I did, and apologies for doing TWO things and thereby not ascertaining which one was the fix. 🙄
I was concerned about some kind of residue left on the windshield from the detailer, so I cleaned the windshield with Dawn dish soap.
Then, I followed the directions in the vehicle manual for putting the wipers into and back out of the service position.

Not much rain today for a real test in all wiper modes, but they worked fine in intermittent mode and were practically silent. Hallelujah!

The following 3 users liked this post by Jolly Rancher:
GrouseK9 (11-02-2021), jamuz (11-01-2021), Low Country (11-01-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 07:47 PM
Drifting
Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

My problem returned. I did more research. Here's the real solution: change the attack angle of the blades. The terrible noise is the blade being pushed rather than pulled. The fix is accomplished with 2 crescent wrenches and by very gently twisting the upper portion of the arm (right below where the blade attaches) down (if the noise is happening on the upswing), or up (if the noise is happening on the downswing). First you must wrap the arm in protective tape to prevent the wrenches from damaging the finish, and move the washer hoses out of the way so you don't pinch them with the crescent wrenches. One wrench is positioned lower on the arm and is used to hold the arm steady while you gently twist the wrench that's positioned right below the blade attachment. This needs to be done very gently, and a little at a time, and you need to keep checking to see if you have twisted it the right amount. It should only require a very slight adjustment. I did this and my wipers are now truly fixed.

See this Car Sci Guys vid for some background

The following 3 users liked this post by Jolly Rancher:
GrouseK9 (12-19-2021), Low Country (04-21-2022), mreloc (12-19-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolly Rancher
My problem returned. I did more research. Here's the real solution: change the attack angle of the blades. The terrible noise is the blade being pushed rather than pulled. The fix is accomplished with 2 crescent wrenches and by very gently twisting the upper portion of the arm (right below where the blade attaches) down (if the noise is happening on the upswing), or up (if the noise is happening on the downswing). First you must wrap the arm in protective tape to prevent the wrenches from damaging the finish, and move the washer hoses out of the way so you don't pinch them with the crescent wrenches. One wrench is positioned lower on the arm and is used to hold the arm steady while you gently twist the wrench that's positioned right below the blade attachment. This needs to be done very gently, and a little at a time, and you need to keep checking to see if you have twisted it the right amount. It should only require a very slight adjustment. I did this and my wipers are now truly fixed.

See this Car Sci Guys vid for some background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rCg3sM-ecE
This is the correct approach to fix this. I had the same issue with drivers side and after light twisting and patience I was able to correct.

Quick question though. Does your wiper motor emit a low whining sound? It’s very hard to describe but I can hear the wiper motor and not sure if that’s normal.

Quick Reply: Stuttering wipers