Sponsored by:

suspension : front down/rear up

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 11:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension : front down/rear up

Hello everyone.

This is a follow up thread about my suspension issue.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...ear-up-104450/

I got an answer from a dealer.

1. There is very finy tiny air leak in the front suspension. It was replaced and fixed.
2. There is still height difference between front and rear. It is not broken or failure if the difference in 3cm. It is written on the manual book.
3. So, my defender has still height difference issue, but it is not broken. Because the difference is in 3cm.

So I would like to tell you all. Not only defender owners but also range rover, discovery owners. If your vehicle shows rear/front suspension height difference and it is in 3cm, you cannot get any service from LR.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the 3 cm (1.2 inches) difference is what I have on my 2020 P300 110, also.

Enjoy !

Old 06-22-2021, 06:46 AM
Mudding
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

My front suspension drops over night. Rear stays at normal height. There is a special service message about the issue from land rover. Have an appointment for the dealer to look at it in a couple weeks. I don't think my issue is just a 3cm difference. When starting after being parked for a day or more, the front will raise. If it is a constant 3cm difference, why would the compressor turn on and raise the front? There is more on this issue here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic77721.html

Old 06-22-2021, 06:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by zac431
My front suspension drops over night. Rear stays at normal height. There is a special service message about the issue from land rover. Have an appointment for the dealer to look at it in a couple weeks. I don't think my issue is just a 3cm difference. When starting after being parked for a day or more, the front will raise. If it is a constant 3cm difference, why would the compressor turn on and raise the front? There is more on this issue here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic77721.html
Thanks for sharing. What you describe sometimes happens on my Defender, as well -- but so seldom that I do not really notice. I will start paying better attention.

Very helpful.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is?

If it's spec'd to have a slight pitch does the OP want to get rid of the pitch?

But are you complaining that JLR isn't interested in fixing something that isn't broken (is factory spec?).

I'm confused.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:48 AM
Mudding
Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Marco Kim
Hello everyone.

1. There is very finy tiny air leak in the front suspension. It was replaced and fixed.
2. There is still height difference between front and rear. It is not broken or failure if the difference in 3cm. It is written on the manual book.
3. So, my defender has still height difference issue, but it is not broken. Because the difference is in 3cm.

So I would like to tell you all. Not only defender owners but also range rover, discovery owners. If your vehicle shows rear/front suspension height difference and it is in 3cm, you cannot get any service from LR.
I read (quickly) through your original thread on this, but I'm not sure if you are referring to ride height differences (front-rear) at access height or standard height. Also, what happens when you click the lowering button inside the tailgate area--does this lower the rear suspension any more than in park mode? it seems the rear suspension is still at normal height. So I would expect it to lower when you click the aforementioned button. If it does not lower, may be you have a reason to go back to the dealer and get them to look again.

Anyway, if it's still within spec I guess the only thing you can do is pay your dealer to recalibrate the suspension to the way you want it. I'm sure the process is similar to all other Range Rovers--which is why your dealer probably does not want to do the work if JLR are not going to reimburse them for it. The suspension (all four corners) can be independently calibrated for each height mode. I don't know if, when calibrating for just access height, you need to also check calibration for the other height settings as well. If so, it may take a couple of hours work.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Marco Kim
Hello everyone.

Marco:

I am going to see if i can find the date of manufacture on my front air springs. Any idea where that is located?

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2021, 06:58 AM
Mudding
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

The date on mine was at the top/rear of the air spring. Mine falls in the range of affected dates. When I spoke to the dealer, they said replacement of leaking springs would be covered under warranty even if it wasn't within those dates. I am going to print the SSM and bring it when I drop it off for service. I just have a feeling they will say "we couldn't find a leak". Since the leak is obviously small and takes a day or two to make any difference. Pic below. Camera didn't focus perfectly, but Oct. 2020.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default photo of front air spring

All:

I drove my 2020 110 P300 yesterday, after parking it for a few days. The front rose just as described by Marco. It then did it again later in the day twice -- once after I came out of a shop and started it up and once while sitting at a stop light. All occurred on flat ground.

My date of manufacture falls within the range -- July 15, 2020.

I will today make an appointment with my dealer to apply the Special Service Message -- SSM 75281 Front air spring air leak

Thanks for the assistance

July 15, 2020 mfg. date

Old 06-23-2021, 08:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 304 Likes on 171 Posts

Do any of you guys use the lowered setting on parking feature? If ours is affected perhaps we'd never know since we lower it each time it parks? Or does it lower even more if affected?

Quick Reply: suspension : front down/rear up