Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   2020 Defender (https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/)
-   -   TDI Tune (https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/tdi-tune-109283/)

DefXBill 11-20-2021 04:26 PM

TDI Tune

I have been running the TDI tune for a couple of weeks now and I must report I am very happy. The throttle response off idle is the most noticeable, almost eliminated the turbo lag. I like the idea of not changing the ECU map, just trick the sensor inputs much like the Johnson lift rods do, but in this case the boost sensors. And it is easy to put back to stock. I highly recommend this mod. It was an easy tool-less install, although one of the sensors is tricky to access. They claim an increase in MPG with HP gain, coming from the modified Diesel truck world this is a new experience for me. So I agree with their increase in HP claims, guessing I’m around 450 now plenty for me. It was easy to find a location to mount. If you go on their website and they don’t show one for our P400 application email them, they have one.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...e6b1cf630.jpeg

AvoTow 11-20-2021 05:54 PM

Awesome! Really considering picking this up. How is the shifting? I know when I delete my 6.7 it hunted a lot more then I cared for. Any other noticeable changes besides the increase in power?

Thanks!

DefXBill 11-20-2021 06:32 PM

No noticeable difference in shift points, just more enjoyable and welcomed smooth power.

umbertob 11-20-2021 09:46 PM

If you live in California, don't bother. Due to CARB regulations, they won't ship to CA residents. At least they'll let you know before accepting your order (and money.) Did you get the optional BT interface?

Ericlockheed 11-20-2021 11:24 PM

Have you noticed an increase in mpg? Can you record a 0to60 time

_Allegedly 11-21-2021 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...1445e2ddd3.png

Hard to beat this pricing for Black Friday. It's less without optional Bluetooth to control the programs from an app but I can't see going without that feature. I'm in. Ordering tomorrow. Thank you @DefXBill

Data sheet for p400 attached.

KYDefender 11-21-2021 06:43 AM

They have for P300?

_Allegedly 11-21-2021 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by KYDefender (Post 801101)
They have for P300?

Yes. but pls verify with them.

https://tdi-tuning.com/en-us/car/lan...uning-box-chip

AvoTow 11-21-2021 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by umbertob (Post 801083)
If you live in California, don't bother. Due to CARB regulations, they won't ship to CA residents. At least they'll let you know before accepting your order (and money.) Did you get the optional BT interface?

Damn thats a bummer. Thanks for the heads up.

GavinC 11-21-2021 10:08 PM

I know next to nothing about tuning.

Increased fuel economy, torque and HP.

Given the ubiquity of the non-free-lunch-hypotheses, where's the rub?

I'll take my answer off the air.

TrioLRowner 11-22-2021 07:05 AM

GavinC: You asked a good and interesting question. I know nothing on the topic either. I hope someone can share the answer publicly ... always good to learn something?

_Allegedly 11-22-2021 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by GavinC (Post 801209)
I know next to nothing about tuning.

Increased fuel economy, torque and HP.

Given the ubiquity of the non-free-lunch-hypotheses, where's the rub?

I'll take my answer off the air.

The way I've always understood it is that it's not using more fuel to get more power. It's tweaking the engine to get more power from the same fuel.

Changing the fuel/air mix, increasing fuel pressure, and changing timing of cam/lift/valve components, altering temperatures and kicking the turbo in a little faster... all gives a power increase.

From there, now that there is more torque, the transmission can shift faster with the same output. Less time in lower gear also gives better mpg. The engine should feel smoother with all of this.

Some engines are under-tuned from the factory so they can sell dif't versions like the d200 and d250. Those LR engines are the same in every way except tuning and $$. Want 50 more hp? Pay LR for it. It's pure profit.

There's a conversation to be had about the drawbacks. Tuning can cause the engine to fail emissions in some areas like California. Should my Florida engine have to be neutered because of California? Debatable.

Excessive or bad tuning can also cause wear on fuel injectors (increased pressure), turbos (kicking in more), or other parts.

I've always assumed (right or wrong idk) tuning mostly causes more wear in general and would only do it on a car I plan on keeping 3 years or so. Most of the people I know with tuned engines are diesel. You can practically shovel dirt into a diesel and they just run. Only know 1 with tuned gas engine. None have ever had problems and most are around 40k miles or more into it.

_Allegedly 11-22-2021 07:32 AM

Maybe put another way...

We have a 460hp engine that gets 20mpg. Unfortunately it doesn't meet emissions standards in every market where we want to sell it.

We can't have 4 versions of a P400. It's too confusing.

We can tune it specifically to hit the highest emissions standard but it gives us 398 hp at 18mpg.

Emissions are non-negotiable while CAFE can be played with through buying credits from Tesla (LR is one of Tesla's best customers).

WMN 11-22-2021 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by _Allegedly (Post 801231)
The way I've always understood it is that it's not using more fuel to get more power. It's tweaking the engine to get more power from the same fuel.

Changing the fuel/air mix, increasing fuel pressure, and changing timing of cam/lift/valve components, altering temperatures and kicking the turbo in a little faster... all gives a power increase.

From there, now that there is more torque, the transmission can shift faster with the same output. Less time in lower gear also gives better mpg. The engine should feel smoother with all of this.

Some engines are under-tuned from the factory so they can sell dif't versions like the d200 and d250. Those LR engines are the same in every way except tuning and $$. Want 50 more hp? Pay LR for it. It's pure profit.

There's a conversation to be had about the drawbacks. Tuning can cause the engine to fail emissions in some areas like California. Should my Florida engine have to be neutered because of California? Debatable.

Excessive or bad tuning can also cause wear on fuel injectors (increased pressure), turbos (kicking in more), or other parts.

I've always assumed (right or wrong idk) tuning mostly causes more wear in general and would only do it on a car I plan on keeping 3 years or so. Most of the people I know with tuned engines are diesel. You can practically shovel dirt into a diesel and they just run. Only know 1 with tuned gas engine. None have ever had problems and most are around 40k miles or more into it.

Thanks for this! So many variables, so much time(ing).

Don't know if anyone watches Engine Masters but they have some great shows, a number are about timing and cams in general, and what does and doesn't create power.

The episodes are part of MotorTrend TV, I think.

GavinC 11-22-2021 10:04 AM

Thanks @_Allegedly

Good info. Makes a lot of sense.

I think I watched a video on here (you may have even posted it) of a guy effectively shoveling dirt into a diesel engine. Sucking a bucket of sand in through the air intake to see if they could get it to explode. Diesels are amazing. Wish we could get them on the Defender here in the states. No biggie I guess.

Sorry to shift things to Diesel talk OP. I know you have the p400. Carry on. Hopefully I'll learn something here.

4x4 DAVE 11-26-2021 07:36 PM

I just tried ordering one of these but could not get it ordered since I dont have my Vin# yet.

edit: I got an order placed early 11/27/2021.
Now i just need confirmation that my Defender is ready to ship…. and get it delivered.

Originally Posted by _Allegedly (Post 801096)

Hard to beat this pricing for Black Friday. It's less without optional Bluetooth to control the programs from an app but I can't see going without that feature. I'm in. Ordering tomorrow. Thank you @DefXBill

Jati 11-27-2021 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DefXBill (Post 801065)
I have been running the TDI tune for a couple of weeks now and I must report I am very happy. The throttle response off idle is the most noticeable, almost eliminated the turbo lag. I like the idea of not changing the ECU map, just trick the sensor inputs much like the Johnson lift rods do, but in this case the boost sensors. And it is easy to put back to stock. I highly recommend this mod. It was an easy tool-less install, although one of the sensors is tricky to access. They claim an increase in MPG with HP gain, coming from the modified Diesel truck world this is a new experience for me. So I agree with their increase in HP claims, guessing I’m around 450 now plenty for me. It was easy to find a location to mount. If you go on their website and they don’t show one for our P400 application email them, they have one.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...e6b1cf630.jpeg

Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both. Since the individual wires are different colors… I’m assuming wire leads are specific to sensor 1 & 2 & TDI mismarked one of the jumper leads??

Jati 11-30-2021 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Jati;801931]Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both. Since the individual wires are different colors… I’m assuming wire leads are specific to sensor 1 & 2 & TDI mismarked one of the jumper leads??[/QUOTE. As a follow up…. Turns out that the leads work in either configuration on this application…. While I’m only using setting #4 as suggested for about 40 miles before I can set it up to 7….. a very noticeable difference!!! Couldn’t be more pleased!

Mechano2020 11-30-2021 02:36 PM

Mystery object

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...f42e33be8b.jpg
Greetings every one ... .Just installed this today, and it was a bit of a bear for BOOST1 fitting. Barely reached it, but ... was done in the end.
When I ordered this device I got it with BT connectivity. It got a mystery object that might be the BT "dongle". Now, where would I connect this ? It seems to have the same type of connector as the unit itself, but no extra port where to connect it (!?).
No, there is no explanation on the manual or install instructions they've sent, and no support today (for some reason they are closed).
Any help is appreciated !

Mechano2020 11-30-2021 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jati (Post 801931)
Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both

I just got mine installed today, and I had B1 and B2 as labels.

Jati 11-30-2021 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mechano2020 (Post 802372)
Greetings every one ... .Just installed this today, and it was a bit of a bear for BOOST1 fitting. Barely reached it, but ... was done in the end.
When I ordered this device I got it with BT connectivity. It got a mystery object that might be the BT "dongle". Now, where would I connect this ? It seems to have the same type of connector as the unit itself, but no extra port where to connect it (!?).
No, there is no explanation on the manual or install instructions they've sent, and no support today (for some reason they are closed).

. My guess is the mystery piece is perhaps a protective cover for the plug end when not in use 🤷🏼‍♂️ As far as bluetooth goes… you need to download the TDI-Tuning app from the App Store and use the last six numbers of the serial number on the TDI unit for the link code.

Mechano2020 11-30-2021 04:18 PM

Could be .... on my invoice there is another item line, separate for BT (extra $$).
Is there anyone here that has: (a) the device installed and (b) with the BT functionality ?
Now, as you said, it can be an end cap, but seems too fancy.
Thanks in advance.

Muppetry 11-30-2021 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by _Allegedly (Post 801096)

Those look like P400 numbers, but that datasheet clearly says it's for a 2.0 L petrol engine. Typo?

umbertob 11-30-2021 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Muppetry (Post 802440)
Those look like P400 numbers, but that datasheet clearly says it's for a 2.0 L petrol engine. Typo?

Here you go:

Babadook 12-01-2021 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Muppetry (Post 802440)
Sembrano numeri P400, ma la scheda tecnica dice chiaramente che è per un motore a benzina da 2.0 L. Errore di battitura?

Hybrid version P400e

Muppetry 12-01-2021 11:06 AM

I'm a little suspicious of the performance/efficiency claims for these modules. In principle it is possible to improve both if the stock setup is instead optimizing emissions - that's what a more regular custom tune might try to do. These are apparently achieving gains simply by spoofing the sensor data causing higher fuel pressure and higher turbo boost, which is a rather blunt tool. I can see some performance gains there, but not efficiency gains. It's also notable that the datasheet goes into considerable data on performance gains for the different maps, but says virtually nothing about efficiency. I'd also be concerned about the long-term effects on engine components.

Sanctuary2325 12-01-2021 03:49 PM

I just ordered mine last night. The offline turbo lag is the one sore spot of this engine—plus the fact that it sounds a little like a blender. I am next looking for a more simplified solution to create a different exhaust note short of a complete exhaust replacement system. It just needs a little more air to breathe.

Has anyone seen whether K&N or anyone else has released high performance air filters for the P400 I6?

DefXBill 12-03-2021 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jati (Post 801931)
Bill, were your wire leads both marked “B1”? Or B1 & B2 ? My TDI kit arrived yesterday and both of my leads have a blue tape with B1 on both. Since the individual wires are different colors… I’m assuming wire leads are specific to sensor 1 & 2 & TDI mismarked one of the jumper leads??

The two leads should be marked B1 and B2.

Iceman153 12-03-2021 01:40 PM

Just make sure you remember to remove this every time you take it into the dealer for service. If they get the slightest wiff you've ever had this installed that'll be their excuse to void any engine related warranty repairs going forward.

Rychlr 12-09-2021 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DefXBill (Post 801065)

Hi, how does this unit affect vehicle warranty? Just asking if any one had an experience with their dealers when they noticed the tuning box in the engine compartment? Did the dealer say that the car engine is no longer in warranty? Thanks

Mechano2020 12-09-2021 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rychlr (Post 803519)
Hi, how does this unit affect vehicle warranty? .....

I am talking about my case here: I was told, very nicely, that it will " ... I did not hear what you said, and don't come with it here, installed"
Some dealerships may turn a blind eye ( then again, depends who is there that day ).
Overall guess, yeah... they may void your warranty.

TCole 12-10-2021 02:01 PM

About how long does it take to uninstall/reinstall this tuner?

Mechano2020 12-10-2021 02:10 PM

Not too long, but is a PITA to do it. Especially at the "booster 2". Very tight space and you need to do it mostly on the blind. The connectors are real tight and if not careful, you may pull some wires. Being tight is good, but these are stupidly tight.
But, all the cable routing and will have to be done over, each time you take it of, and put it back on.
My only concern is that if I get stuck on the side of the road, and need to go straight to the dealer, then I am hosed.
Can I do this on the side of the road ? who knows... maybe.
So far, I have been close to 2 weeks driving with this thing, and I am not impressed a bit.
I want to like it, hence I bought it, but I have yet to see an improvement or benefit.

Rychlr 12-11-2021 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mechano2020 (Post 802372)

I think the dongle is to be used when you take out the tuning box and can still have the harness installed.

Ehloo 12-11-2021 10:55 AM

i believe you are correct. i don’t have the module but have similar products on other cars. they give you a bypass valve to remove the actual module when going into service and not having to remove all wiring.

piggy back tunes have been around for a long time. they provide safe moderate power gains. if you are asking or concerned about this affecting your warranty this is not for you

any modification to your car is a voided warranty concern.

long story to what a dealer can void your warranty for but they can and you have to fight it. best to have a great relationship with your service department and be honest. sometimes things go wrong

i have been waiting for racechip to release their version. taking much longer than expected and prob got with TDI

Originally Posted by Rychlr (Post 803734)
I think the dongle is to be used when you take out the tuning box and can still have the harness installed.

patpatriot6 12-11-2021 11:06 AM

Would be nice for LR to offer the equivalent of a Volvo/Polestar tune — dealer option that juices the mapping a bit and still preserves the warranty. Some dealers (Mini comes to mind) will even install aftermarket tuning devices and not care — e.g., catering to the crowd — vs being lame enforcers.

Muppetry 12-11-2021 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by patpatriot6 (Post 803746)
Would be nice for LR to offer the equivalent of a Volvo/Polestar tune — dealer option that juices the mapping a bit and still preserves the warranty. Some dealers (Mini comes to mind) will even install aftermarket tuning devices and not care — e.g., catering to the crowd — vs being lame enforcers.

It's not really a question of being enforcers, lame or otherwise. You can't really expect any car manufacturer to continue to warranty their vehicles once they have been third-party-modified to perform outside their design specification.

Ehloo 12-11-2021 11:28 AM

there are specific laws that protect consumers and aftermarket parts but depends on where you live. despite my relationships with my dealerships i get occasional accusations about some parts. But these parts have to be proven to have caused the issue.

for an example i had some HRE forged wheels on my bmw x5m. had some issues with my transmission and they tried to blame the wheels. they stated the wheels were larger in diameter and heavier causing the issue. they wanted to deny the claim. well after disputing their claims i had proven that they had never measure the overall diameter of the wheels and that my aftermarket wheels were actually 1 pound lighter than the stock wheels.

they didn’t have much to say after my dispute. they fixed the issue under warranty

Originally Posted by Muppetry (Post 803749)
It's not really a question of being enforcers, lame or otherwise. You can't really expect any car manufacturer to continue to warranty their vehicles once they have been third-party-modified to perform outside their design specification.

patpatriot6 12-11-2021 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Muppetry (Post 803749)

it’s actually a thing that some dealers try to get out of repairs using any excuse they can even if there is no reasonable way to connect cause and effect. So if you blow your engine with evidence of an aftermarket tune… maybe reasonable to assume you might have an issue… can’t update your pivi or you have an air suspension issue and your dealer tries to blame your engine tune… yup, lame.

Muppetry 12-11-2021 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by patpatriot6 (Post 803753)
it’s actually a thing that some dealers try to get out of repairs using any excuse they can even if there is no reasonable way to connect cause and effect. So if you blow your engine with evidence of an aftermarket tune… maybe reasonable to assume you might have an issue… can’t update your pivi or you have an air suspension issue and your dealer tries to blame your engine tune… yup, lame.

Agreed, but surely the issue under discussion here was whether this aftermarket engine management hack would be a legitimate reason to void the engine warranty.