Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow bar maximum length

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow bar maximum length

I'm trying to figure out what looks like an impossible requirement for towing in the manual.

In the tow hitch section of the manual, it says "The following tow hitch dimensions must be adhered to: 1. The maximum recommended length is 6.9 in (175 mm)." The diagram in the manual shows 6.9 inches measured from the pin to the center of the ball.

I've searched online and I can't find a single ball mount that's 6.9 inches or less from pin to center of ball. Does anyone know whether a 6.9 inch ball mount even exists? This requirement seems to be unachievable if nobody makes a ball mount that short.

They use terms like "must be adhered to" and "maximum recommended length". "Recommended" sounds like I'm safe to go over 6.9 inches...

I've seen people posting all sorts of setups here in the forums with ball mounts that are clearly more than 6.9 inches from pin to ball. Any advice on how to interpret this section of the manual?

Old 04-29-2021, 06:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by triminmotion
I'm trying to figure out what looks like an impossible requirement for towing in the manual.

In the tow hitch section of the manual, it says "The following tow hitch dimensions must be adhered to: 1. The maximum recommended length is 6.9 in (175 mm)." The diagram in the manual shows 6.9 inches measured from the pin to the center of the ball.

I've searched online and I can't find a single ball mount that's 6.9 inches or less from pin to center of ball. Does anyone know whether a 6.9 inch ball mount even exists? This requirement seems to be unachievable if nobody makes a ball mount that short.

They use terms like "must be adhered to" and "maximum recommended length". "Recommended" sounds like I'm safe to go over 6.9 inches...

I've seen people posting all sorts of setups here in the forums with ball mounts that are clearly more than 6.9 inches from pin to ball. Any advice on how to interpret this section of the manual?
I think the U.S. manual is a conversion of the U.K. ball design, which is curved and a single stubby piece which twists to store away. We have a different approach in the U.S. and the shortest I could find was 8 inches or so (on Amazon), so I went with that. I won't be towing 7500lbs, so am not concerned.

There is in theory a JLR supplied hitch and ***** kit for the U.S. which was possibly supposed to be supplied with the vehicle. But, the only person on the forum who has noted seeing one said it was on the desk of a dealer and was not being given out, nor could/would the dealer explain.

On the LR4, JLR supplied a custom-designed, removable, very short, complicated, hitch receiver which came with the vehicle and can still be purchased today for $800 or so. Or a permanent equivalent part is available at Atlantic British for way less.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TrioLRowner
I think the U.S. manual is a conversion of the U.K. ball design, which is curved and a single stubby piece which twists to store away. We have a different approach in the U.S. and the shortest I could find was 8 inches or so (on Amazon), so I went with that. I won't be towing 7500lbs, so am not concerned.

There is in theory a JLR supplied hitch and ***** kit for the U.S. which was possibly supposed to be supplied with the vehicle. But, the only person on the forum who has noted seeing one said it was on the desk of a dealer and was not being given out, nor could/would the dealer explain.

On the LR4, JLR supplied a custom-designed, removable, very short, complicated, hitch receiver which came with the vehicle and can still be purchased today for $800 or so. Or a permanent equivalent part is available at Atlantic British for way less.
can you share a link to the Amazon one?

Old 04-30-2021, 11:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

sure ..... lots of other similar choices on the CURT store site in Amazon. You may want want the ability to change *****, for instance. The I ordered has a fixed ball size:

CURT 45141 Trailer Hitch Mount, 2-Inch Ball, Lock, Fits 2-In Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 2" Drop

I found it a bit loud in the JLR hitch receiver, so bought this, also:

CZC AUTO Hitch Tightener 304 Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Anti-Rattle Stabilizer for1.25 2 Inch Hitch, Rust-Free Lock Down Hitch Stabilizer for Hitch Tray Cargo Carrier Bike Rack Trailer Ball Mount

The following users liked this post:
Defensor (05-01-2021)