Sponsored by:

Tow loop strength?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 05:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tow loop strength?

I couldn’t find the info anywhere so thought to ask here

does anyone know what the tow and sheer ratings are for the factory tow loops on the front and back of the 110 (not the center tow point).

question is prompted by that recent fatal accident of a stuck driver being struck by a failed tow ball that sheered off because it seems it’s low sheer rating.

not that I’m expecting to pull someone out or be pulled out, but I’d like to know the rating of those mounts and any other equipment stored for just such an occasion.

thanks

Old 08-09-2022, 05:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,292 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by teej

does anyone know what the tow and sheer ratings are for the factory tow loops on the front and back of the 110 (not the center tow point).

question is prompted by that recent fatal accident of a stuck driver being struck by a failed tow ball that sheered off because it seems it’s low sheer rating.

not that I’m expecting to pull someone out or be pulled out, but I’d like to know the rating of those mounts and any other equipment stored for just such an occasion.

thanks

There is no center tow point other than the recovery point.

They are rated to some phenomenally high figure. Essentially, one could use it like in the above picture from LR. A real image

A quick google reveals a 6.5 tonne dynamic load rating. ****** recoveries should be no problem there. Static load rating will be more i guess.

In short, they have an appropriate rating.

Last edited by GavinC; 08-09-2022 at 05:44 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by GavinC:
DrPizz (12-28-2022), Eitan (08-12-2022), LRDEF2LR (08-10-2022), Royalist (08-13-2022), this_account_is_mt (08-16-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 05:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Old 08-09-2022, 05:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Front and rear recovery points used here. Winching both ends saved the day.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:57 PM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by teej

thanks
Not sure about the accident you are referring to, there is a need for more information, but there are many factors at play here. The age and condition of the tow ball; was it compromised by rust or galvanic corrosion? I’ve never personally seen one fail, but when used properly, within ratings, there is little chance of failure. The tow ball typically pulls its load from a low acceleration and once at speed, the forces drop considerably. If it was used for a ‘******’ recovery, the forces at the point of full exertion would be much higher than its design. Additionally, no one should ever be aligned with a line/cable/chain under tension. Prevent accidents before they happen.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Not sure about the accident you are referring to, there is a need for more information, but there are many factors at play here. The age and condition of the tow ball; was it compromised by rust or galvanic corrosion? I’ve never personally seen one fail, but when used properly, within ratings, there is little chance of failure. The tow ball typically pulls its load from a low acceleration and once at speed, the forces drop considerably. If it was used for a ‘******’ recovery, the forces at the point of full exertion would be much higher than its design. Additionally, no one should ever be aligned with a line/cable/chain under tension. Prevent accidents before they happen.
Probably this recent one.

Fairly gruesome as they usually are

https://www.exploringoverland.com/ov...other-fatality

Many stories about this one recently so I assume it's the one the OP is referencing.

Not at all what the recovery points on the Defender are like. It's fairly irrelevant to the topic but seems to get a lot of people conflating the two across t'internet. Using a tow ball is a dumb as rocks move. Sat in the driver's seat and presumably with no ****** blanket being used you're in the death zone.

Last edited by GavinC; 08-09-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that was the one

i wasn’t suggesting to use a tow ball, but in various discussions as a result of the accident the topic of static and sheer strength comes up often, so I was curious what the loops on a defender can handle.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:31 PM
Winching
Received 607 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinC
Probably this recent one.

Fairly gruesome as they usually are

https://www.exploringoverland.com/ov...other-fatality

Many stories about this one recently so I assume it's the one the OP is referencing.

Not at all what the recovery points on the Defender are like. It's fairly irrelevant to the topic but seems to get a lot of people conflating the two across t'internet. Using a tow ball is a dumb as rocks move. Sat in the driver's seat and presumably with no ****** blanket being used you're in the death zone.
Thanks for the additional info. Yes, that was a horrific accident. The person behind the wheel was right in line with the failure zone. I have a friend who lost an eye as a child when a bungee cord let go as his brother was attaching it. As a retired Firefighter/EMT, I’ve seen how fast someone’s life can change due to an oversight, a lapse of judgement, or just being careless. Look at each situation as to ‘what is the worst that can happen’. Stay safe, everybody.

The following 4 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
Craig_RRS2013 (08-16-2022), Eitan (08-12-2022), GavinC (08-09-2022), TrioLRowner (08-10-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 02:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

And that, people, is why they always recommend putting a blanket, a jacket or a "recovery cushion" on the tow strap.

The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
EasternShoreDefender (02-15-2023), Huc (08-12-2022), WTFChuck (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 04:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

I may have missed it, but I didn't see a specific answer to your question about the recover loop rating posted in this thread. From the Landrover online owner's manual:

"The front towing eye is designed for both on-road and off-road recovery (up to 14330 lbs or 6500 kg)",
"The rear exposed towing eyes are designed for both on-road and off-road recovery (up to 14330 lbs or 6500 kg)",
"The screw-in type rear recovery eyes are designed for on-road recovery only".

The following 2 users liked this post by POPTOPP:
Huc (08-12-2022), teej (08-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Tow loop strength?