Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Tpms

anybody know if you need to reprogram the tpms if swapping defender wheels from one defender to another.

picked up a V8 and would like to quickly swap the current aftermarket wheels on.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:21 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Just swap them, should pick up the signal.
When I received my set steelies, I got the tpms out for painting.
Installed them back ( with a little hybride sealant)
After a few miles they were charged enough and send the signal to the car.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:59 PM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

a little more complicated for me. i have a p400 and a v8 currently. the p400 will be traded in or sold very soon. the p400 has aftermarket wheels where i pulled the tpms from the stocks. Swapping those aftermarket wheels to the v8 but need to get a set of tpms back on the p400 set

instead of swapping the original p400 tpms from
aftermarket wheels back to stock and then taking out the new v8 tpms and putting them in the aftermarket wheel i was hoping for just one seal and that my p400 tpms would register on my v8. it would avoid an extra swap

Originally Posted by Defendit..
Just swap them, should pick up the signal.
When I received my set steelies, I got the tpms out for painting.
Installed them back ( with a little hybride sealant)
After a few miles they were charged enough and send the signal to the car.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Bumping this to the top because I am having an extreme issue lately and I just can not figure it out.

Backstory - After upgrading to my factory 22's I had TPMS sensors installed with my new tires and everything is working properly no issues. Fast forward 15k miles later, I get new tires, and as I am driving the TPMS light comes on as soon as I leave the shop but then goes away. I think to myself, everything has reset and all is well. Wrong, I am not getting a low pressure warning but the light is blinking for 10 seconds and BOOM system fault. But the odd thing is that 5 mins of driving goes by and its gone again. Then back, then gone etc. Tires are at the recommended pressures 47/50 as well as set to Normal Load. Now I am just wondering if they need reprogramed or is a sensor or antenna for the car having some issues reading the sensors with the new tires?

I am completely baffled but it is driving me absolutely crazy. Any help would be great before i take to the dealer next week. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2022, 09:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HMBodo08
Bumping this to the top because I am having an extreme issue lately and I just can not figure it out.

Backstory - After upgrading to my factory 22's I had TPMS sensors installed with my new tires and everything is working properly no issues. Fast forward 15k miles later, I get new tires, and as I am driving the TPMS light comes on as soon as I leave the shop but then goes away. I think to myself, everything has reset and all is well. Wrong, I am not getting a low pressure warning but the light is blinking for 10 seconds and BOOM system fault. But the odd thing is that 5 mins of driving goes by and its gone again. Then back, then gone etc. Tires are at the recommended pressures 47/50 as well as set to Normal Load. Now I am just wondering if they need reprogramed or is a sensor or antenna for the car having some issues reading the sensors with the new tires?

I am completely baffled but it is driving me absolutely crazy. Any help would be great before i take to the dealer next week. Thanks!

When you get the fault you should quickly check the TPMS feedback on the cluster to see which corner is malfunctioning. You may have a sensor with a weak battery, this can be checked with the appropriate TPMS scan tool.
Edit: One would think that with a vehicle of this age that the sensor batteries would be fine but I installed new wheels/tires (purchasing new sensors) and one of them is coming up with "low battery" via the scan tool. I haven't experienced the fault you are seeing but I'm waiting for it to rear it's head.

Last edited by mikelr; 02-17-2022 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HMBodo08 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mikelr
When you get the fault you should quickly check the TPMS feedback on the cluster to see which corner is malfunctioning. You may have a sensor with a weak battery, this can be checked with the appropriate TPMS scan tool.
Edit: One would think that with a vehicle of this age that the sensor batteries would be fine but I installed new wheels/tires (purchasing new sensors) and one of them is coming up with "low battery" via the scan tool. I haven't experienced the fault you are seeing but I'm waiting for it to rear it's head.

Thanks for the feedback. I will check that when I see it pop up again and let everyone know!

Old 02-17-2022, 10:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 69 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by HMBodo08
Thanks for the feedback. I will check that when I see it pop up again and let everyone know!
Bump for more info on this. I've been having a lot of issues getting any of my TPMS to reconnect with new wheels and tires.

HMBodo08 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 04:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Lnberger
Bump for more info on this. I've been having a lot of issues getting any of my TPMS to reconnect with new wheels and tires.
I had the same issue when I first mounted my new set of wheels/tires with new TPMS sensors. The problem was the sensors (which I bought from Tire Rack) apparently are warehoused/sold in what is referred to as "ship mode". This is some sort of battery saving stasis mode for long term storage. A pricey TPMS scan tool has to be used to force the sensors into what is referred to as "Park Mode" which is the normal operational state. When the sensors were in ship mode you could scan them with the scan tool and read the sensor status/info (waking them up temporarily) and a tech could at that point collect the sensor serial number data and force program the vehicle through the OBDII port. The system would work for a short drive but sensors would go back "asleep". Once the sensors are forced into Park Mode with the appropriate scan tool there is no need to force program the vehicle through the OBDII port, JLR products self learn whatever sensor is out there as long as it is of the correct frequency (in our case 433mhz).

HMBodo08 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:28 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by mikelr
I had the same issue when I first mounted my new set of wheels/tires with new TPMS sensors. The problem was the sensors (which I bought from Tire Rack) apparently are warehoused/sold in what is referred to as "ship mode". This is some sort of battery saving stasis mode for long term storage. A pricey TPMS scan tool has to be used to force the sensors into what is referred to as "Park Mode" which is the normal operational state. When the sensors were in ship mode you could scan them with the scan tool and read the sensor status/info (waking them up temporarily) and a tech could at that point collect the sensor serial number data and force program the vehicle through the OBDII port. The system would work for a short drive but sensors would go back "asleep". Once the sensors are forced into Park Mode with the appropriate scan tool there is no need to force program the vehicle through the OBDII port, JLR products self learn whatever sensor is out there as long as it is of the correct frequency (in our case 433mhz).

Great info! I will have to look into this as well. I know I have the proper frequency so I am just wondering if its in ship mode or if a battery is low. All great points. I am going to mess with it tonight!

thanks!

Old 05-11-2022, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Bumping this up to see if anyone can give their experience to help me. I finally settled on getting a set of OEM 20" wheels with BFG Ko2's mounted for a spare full set of tires/wheels for seasonal off-road and bad weather use. I just switch them myself when needed and otherwise run the factory Goodyears on original wheels the rest of the time. Since both sets are ready to swap at any time, I kept the factory TPMS sensors in the "street" tires and had to purchase an aftermarket set of TPMS sensors from Tire-Rack. They are the 433MHz version that is "supposed" to work. The dealer wanted an obscene amount for OEM (like $400 a piece!). I've read about the problems some have experienced with aftermarket sensors, whereas some have had good success.
Tire-rack told me the following : " They will work on your Land Rover, but they have to be activated as follows" Install them on the tire. Take the TPMS tool to that tire to scan the sensor, then program it to the vehicle.
If your installer doesn't have the have a tool a rapid deflate will wake them... Put max pressure in tire then rapidly deflate to under10psi, then air back up to proper psi."

Am I kidding myself that these should work? Has anyone done this? Thanks

Quick Reply: Tpms