2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 11:35 AM
Winching
Received 165 Likes on 116 Posts

you should have no issues. did the same but my local tire shop sells aftermarket. 100 bucks a piece. it was a little cheaper to dismount and remove but i had to make two trips to lug the other set of wheels around. long story

you should be fine

Originally Posted by drcoop
Bumping this up to see if anyone can give their experience to help me. I finally settled on getting a set of OEM 20" wheels with BFG Ko2's mounted for a spare full set of tires/wheels for seasonal off-road and bad weather use. I just switch them myself when needed and otherwise run the factory Goodyears on original wheels the rest of the time. Since both sets are ready to swap at any time, I kept the factory TPMS sensors in the "street" tires and had to purchase an aftermarket set of TPMS sensors from Tire-Rack. They are the 433MHz version that is "supposed" to work. The dealer wanted an obscene amount for OEM (like $400 a piece!). I've read about the problems some have experienced with aftermarket sensors, whereas some have had good success.
Tire-rack told me the following : " They will work on your Land Rover, but they have to be activated as follows" Install them on the tire. Take the TPMS tool to that tire to scan the sensor, then program it to the vehicle.
If your installer doesn't have the have a tool a rapid deflate will wake them... Put max pressure in tire then rapidly deflate to under10psi, then air back up to proper psi."

Am I kidding myself that these should work? Has anyone done this? Thanks

Old 05-11-2022, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 238 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehloo
you should have no issues. did the same but my local tire shop sells aftermarket. 100 bucks a piece. it was a little cheaper to dismount and remove but i had to make two trips to lug the other set of wheels around. long story

you should be fine
thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Your reassurance means a lot. I will report back once I mount the extra set of wheels/tires with the aftermarket TPMS and my experience

Old 05-11-2022, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I had read somewhere that the new defender had the TPMS ids programmed to the truck and if you used a new set they had to be relearned. That was somewhere in this forum. Just in case I purchased after market TPMS sensors and then clones them with a $250 tool. Works no problem on my 2020 P400x

Have one set of 18s with 275/70/18s MTs for when we get serious and have the factory 20s for all the other times

Old 05-11-2022, 12:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,279 Likes on 764 Posts

No issues unless the manufacturer of the TPMS put something in them. I can imagine right now the folks at JLR trying to figure out how to make it proprietary to the VIN code. But they are standard industry for now that JLR has, blessedly, adopted. I imagine (hope) they would get push back from the tire manufacturers that they rely on if they tried to Monkey F' the industry standard. Most folks (previously, me) are mystified by them. You can absolutely buy anything off the shelf and they will work. Anything = within reason. You're on your own with Alibamazon or some other skuzzy stuff. Most tire shops will have standard fare that your Defender will have no trouble with. I put mine on and just drove. Auto-magically (pardon the pun...) they will start to work. I've switched sets and life is good again. Just give them time, some miles or a start up or two.

Last edited by GrouseK9; 05-11-2022 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
drcoop (05-11-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 12:38 PM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Good to know, well spent some dollars I didn't need to I guess - not the first time 😃

GrouseK9 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 10:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Default TireRack $30 sensors are perfect

So the extra set of OEM alloys that I purchased didn’t have sensors and my trusted local installer said he would only recommend buying some directly from Land Rover because they were so “problematic and finicky”, but at a few hundred dollars each that was not a good option! So unsure as to whether I was making the right decision I took a chance and I purchased five of the $30 433MHz sensors from Tire Rack, had them shipped directly to my local tire installer, free shipping and arrived in 24 hours. Installed the new wheels with some awesome fresh BFG KO2 275/55/20’s and the sensors immediately registered tire pressures with the Defenders monitoring system. No tricks or even driving around needed.

Last edited by drcoop; 05-16-2022 at 11:04 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by drcoop:
GetOutTheWay (04-02-2023), GrouseK9 (05-17-2022), mopadzi (05-17-2022), user 729788 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:02 PM
Banned
Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I purchased five of the $30 433MHz sensors and Tire rack shipped then directly to my local tire installer, free shipping and arrived in 24 hours. Installed and immediately registered tire pressures. No tricks or even driving around needed.
Good to know. I will have to order some this Fall as I live in the mountains and will need snow tires this winter.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

So the extra set of OEM alloys that I purchased didn’t have sensors and my trusted local installer said he would only recommend buying some directly from Land Rover because they were so “problematic and finicky”, but at a few hundred dollars each that was not a good option! So unsure as to whether I was making the right decision I took a chance and I purchased five of the $30 433MHz sensors from Tire Rack, had them shipped directly to my local tire installer, free shipping and arrived in 24 hours. Installed the new wheels with some awesome fresh BFG KO2 275/55/20’s and the sensors immediately registered tire pressures with the Defenders monitoring system. No tricks or even driving around needed.
You were lucky, I bought the same $30 sensors from TR and then had to get a scanner to get them out of "ship mode". I'm actually happy I got it as with $125 upgrade it is a full blow OBDII scan tool that can scan codes and reset all the systems on the LR and my Jag. Autel ITS600 https://www.maxitpms.com/tpmscms/product/802.jhtml

drcoop (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 06:35 AM
Rock Crawling

I wonder if the process of balancing a new tire on the rotational balancing machine after being mounted works to “wake” them…

Old 05-17-2022, 07:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if the process of balancing a new tire on the rotational balancing machine after being mounted works to “wake” them…
Not likely, what I have heard is that a rapid deflation is supposed to wake them up. So fill tire to like 50 psi and pull the Schrader valve as to deflate as quickly as possible.

Last edited by mikelr; 05-17-2022 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Tpms