Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Drifting
Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a quick update.

They started working after being driven a few times before I had a chance to take it to the tire shop. I guess I just didn’t run them long enough, although it may be partially due to the nut behind tbe wheel.

I’m not sure what made me check as the low tire light was still on but I checked and they were reporting that the tires were at ~30psi so they were low even as I waited for them to fire up so I don’t know how quickly they started to work. Anyways, they’ve been back to proper pressure for 4 days and they’re working perfectly. Thanks for all the comments, hopefully they’ll help me or someone in the future

Old 03-30-2024, 10:41 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartan
They never mention airing down in the iguide even because according to “insider” LR does not recommend airing down their low profile tires when going off road.
True…But they will sell you a $700 air compressor for the back…🤔 💰

Old 04-11-2024, 02:07 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Tartan
The ones that tirerack sells for the Defender worked perfectly out of the box without any need to reprogram.
Do you mean the Tire Rack ones can be taken out of the box, installed on the wheel, and they will literally sync to the vehicle (Defender) without any programming required?

I am Wondering because I bought a set of Tire Rack ones, but my tire guy is telling me they will need to be programmed with an OBDI; which would mean I need to actually drive the Defender to his shop, which I am trying to avoid due to some logistical constraints. I am hoping to just take wheels to him without driving vehicle.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,305 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by longtrip68
Do you mean the Tire Rack ones can be taken out of the box, installed on the wheel, and they will literally sync to the vehicle (Defender) without any programming required?

I am Wondering because I bought a set of Tire Rack ones, but my tire guy is telling me they will need to be programmed with an OBDI; which would mean I need to actually drive the Defender to his shop, which I am trying to avoid due to some logistical constraints. I am hoping to just take wheels to him without driving vehicle.
Any of them work fine. I have a set of 5 on my aftermarket rims.

Dealer wanted to sell me a set of LR ones for over $800 plus install with a 5 week lead time.

Discount tire grabbed 5 from a box off the shelf for about $35 a piece. Synced them/cloned them to the car once the new wheels and tires were on it in about 5 minutes.

Amazon option work too. You don't need anything fancy. TPMS is almost universal it seems.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:53 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GavinC
Any of them work fine. I have a set of 5 on my aftermarket rims.

Dealer wanted to sell me a set of LR ones for over $800 plus install with a 5 week lead time.

Discount tire grabbed 5 from a box off the shelf for about $35 a piece. Synced them/cloned them to the car once the new wheels and tires were on it in about 5 minutes.

Amazon option work too. You don't need anything fancy. TPMS is almost universal it seems.
Thanks for the reply Gavin, but didn’t really address the specific question. A previous poster said the Tire Rack ones apparently didn’t need to be programmed to vehicle - they just worked/synced out of the box. I’m trying to confirm this so I don’t have to drive me Defender to the tire shop (I just want to take my wheels in).

Old 04-11-2024, 03:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by longtrip68
Thanks for the reply Gavin, but didn’t really address the specific question. A previous poster said the Tire Rack ones apparently didn’t need to be programmed to vehicle - they just worked/synced out of the box. I’m trying to confirm this so I don’t have to drive me Defender to the tire shop (I just want to take my wheels in).
Ok sorry about that.

My poorly made point was that, Discount, Tirerack, Amazon, Tires-R-Us, Jiffytire it matters not. The TPMS is all one and the same for the Defender. They all need to speak to the car's computer. A digital handshake to say, yep, we're the droids you've been looking for. This required some tech whizzbang using a hand held device for my set.

Given that the TPMS are all the same (once you buy the right kind), I assumed this programming is a universal requirement. Apologies if this is bad intel.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by GavinC
Given that the TPMS are all the same (once you buy the right kind), I assumed this programming is a universal requirement. Apologies if this is bad intel.
Makes sense to me. I wonder, I have a handheld device I use to “pair” the TPMS on my BMW motorcycle. Works great. Got it off Amazon (VXDAS Auto Tire Pressure Monitor...
Amazon Amazon
). Not sure what frequency it uses, but maybe I’ll get lucky and it will work on the Defender too. Will have to try next week.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts

The tpms should auto program. If you put a new set on the car it might take it a couple of drives to register and self program. But that's how it works. It shouldn't need any manual programming

Sometimes the TPMS need to be activated when new with a 'wand' to start them operating. But you don't need the car for that

If anyone is claiming they are 'programming' then I'd ask them if you can watch...

The following users liked this post:
longtrip68 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by BritCars
The tpms should auto program. If you put a new set on the car it might take it a couple of drives to register and self program. But that's how it works. It shouldn't need any manual programming

Sometimes the TPMS need to be activated when new with a 'wand' to start them operating. But you don't need the car for that

If anyone is claiming they are 'programming' then I'd ask them if you can watch...
activation with wand sounds like what they did on mine. That’s good to know. I thought it had something to do with the cars computer saying hello to the TPMS.

I watched him do it. Very simple stuff.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:49 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BritCars
Yeah, the tire shop said I had to bring the vehicle in so they could program it with thru the OBDI. I’m suspicious. I’m gonna mention your suggestion to them (that is, just wake them up).

Quick Reply: TPMS programming