Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk door doesn't open properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 02:41 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trunk door doesn't open properly

Hi there. Got my LR Defender 23.5MY a week ago. All worked great, then the car went to the detailing for film appliance. Today got it back and there is a small issue, trunk door doesn't open properly any more. When button is pressed, the lock makes the noise and the lock kinda opens (door moves towards you), but if you pull the door it doesn't go there, like it is still held by the lock. I am sure that it worked ok before. And also sure that the door was not disassembled and all gaps and the hinges are still at the same place they were before.
Any ideas what could it be?

Old 02-13-2024, 07:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

These doors catch like that, or at least mine does. It's a timing thing - I found if you pull on the door too soon, it catches, too late and it relocks. Got to find the goldilocks moment.

The following users liked this post:
wlindsey@gmail.com (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 07:27 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
These doors catch like that, or at least mine does. It's a timing thing - I found if you pull on the door too soon, it catches, too late and it relocks. Got to find the goldilocks moment.
should be something else, it worked perfectly before.

Old 02-13-2024, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by POPTOPP
mine does this too.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:53 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
mine does this too.
Same here. And as the previous poster stated, it all comes down to timing. It’s understandably frustrating but happens less over time, once you get the right grab/squeeze/pull combo down.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

Just went to the dealer. Checked ad compared with the new cars, mine is faulty. Will be checked tomorrow more accurately.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:16 PM
Drifting
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I've noticed if you hold the switch down while pulling, it tends to go better. If you release and try to pull right away, it'll catch.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:03 AM
6th Gear

Went to the dealer today, they checked everything and told its because of the PPF (film). The door rubber sits so tide to the body of the car that when it goes against the PPF edge, the lock feels the resistance and blocks the opening (the perimeter of the edge is so big that resistance is huge). So I went to the PPF installer straight away and they cut the PPF (made it shorter), so the door rubber is not in contact with PPF any more. And everything started to work as should. So problem solved.

The following 2 users liked this post by kulvershtukas:
POPTOPP (02-14-2024), WTFChuck (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Mine has started to do this, especially when I go up to the slopes for skiing. No special film on mine, just a bone stock door as it came from the factory. It is obviously the soft close mechanism catching and re-closing, you can hear it. Kind of annoying, particularly with another item that is kind of in the category of "uh-huh, it does what?" Now it is in the category of useless POS that made the car cost more. On the list for my next service call. Luckily the SME mining conference is in 10 days in Phoenix so I can drop it off then.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I've noticed the same thing and I feel it depends on the timing of how you work the button and pull the door. I used the GAP tool to change the code, so the rear door opens with the remote. The remote seems to pop it perfectly.

Quick Reply: Trunk door doesn't open properly