Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two and through...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Two and through...

So, after two years, I decided to ditch my Defender 110. I did enjoy it, and it’s no doubt a great vehicle, but I just never bonded with it. I think I got caught up in the hype when I jumped in, but ultimately, I just found it to be uninspiring.

Having owned a bunch of Rovers, Jeeps, and trucks over the years, I decided to replace it with a ’24 Jeep Rubicon X.

If I was a one car guy, I might have kept the Defender, because it does balance the on and off-road needs quite well. And mine was really good to me (with the exception of a failed halo light replaced under warranty and some pivi quirks). But for this particular spot in the garage, I just got bored with it and missed the "fun," and well, the lack of refinement that comes with a Jeep.

A few weeks into the Rubicon, and I don’t miss the Defender. Sure, the Jeep is noisy, bouncy, and blows around the highway. But there’s a certain “carefreeness” that I love about it, and it just makes me smile like the Defender never did. (And yes, I know all about the inevitable Jeep reliability issues, as this is my fourth one. So, my expectations are set accordingly.)

Again, this isn’t a knock on the Defender. I think it’s a fine and capable truck with many positive attributes. (As many of you are well aware of.) But for me, today’s Land Rover is more about suburban or urban luxury and comfort, and is just missing a little bit of that “soul."

Anyway, thanks to this great forum for all the advice, ideas, and feedback over the past two years. I typically find most forums to be miserable places, but this one is great!

Safe travels everyone. See you down the road.

Last edited by sj24k; 05-13-2024 at 02:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sj24k:
Chief65 (05-13-2024), PaulLR (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve admittedly thought about trading mine in on a Rubicon as well. I’ve had shock issues, loads of rattles, coolant line problems, and a replacement halo LED. I love the design of the Defender but have serious doubts as to its longevity. If I’m going to deal with poor quality, mind as well have some fun in a Jeep. Lol

Old 05-13-2024, 12:59 PM
Mudding
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by EchorecT7E
I’ve admittedly thought about trading mine in on a Rubicon as well. I’ve had shock issues, loads of rattles, coolant line problems, and a replacement halo LED. I love the design of the Defender but have serious doubts as to its longevity. If I’m going to deal with poor quality, mind as well have some fun in a Jeep. Lol
Oh no, which Defender trim are you driving?

Old 05-13-2024, 01:51 PM
Mudding
Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

To each their own. I absolutely love my defender and couldn't imagine going to a jeep. So compromised and common in comparison.

The following users liked this post:
CincyRovers (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Totally getcha, sj24k. I sold my built-to-the-stars 2014 Wrangler 2-door a month before my 110 P400 arrived. Was glad to be rid of it because the Defender is so very much better (than a JK in general, and then a 2-door JK with lift, new suspension, 35s, etc.)

But after 2 years, I started bugging my friend 600 miles away to sell it back to me, which he did a year ago. I brought it home and have been delighted ever since. Now I use the Defender for western off-road adventures (I live in Atlanta and drive out to CO/UT/NV/AZ/WY/MT/NM at least once a year), because the Jeep is ridiculously crude for a 25-hour trip, whereas I made it to Albuquerque on Day 1 last month. So Moab took 1.5 days, where in the Jeep it always takes 2.5.

The Jeep was never my only car, and if that were the case I might consider a new JL Rubicon (coincidentally abbreviated JLR ) but probably wouldn't give up the Defender; it's too good on the road and good enough off-road. But the JL is sooooooo much better than the JK was for on-road manners.

As for reliability, my 40k-miles 2022 Defender has been to the dealership zero times for warranty work, and my Jeep was hugely problematic during the first 35,000 miles but seems to have settled down in the last 10k. This includes a complete engine replacement under warranty in 2016 wiht 15,000 miles, as well as many other things. And still I love the snot out of it.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 05-13-2024 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paule (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 02:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 232 Likes on 116 Posts

I can totally understand. I've never had a new car I didn't enjoy driving right after I got it, there's just something about driving a new and different car that hangs around for a while until the newness starts to wear off. I don't have a Jeep, but the nearest I got was that I did have a new Bronco Wildtrak that I ran alongside my Defender for a while thinking that they were sufficiently different that I could have both. Over time I ended up thinking I'd only need one and the Defender won out, but when I did have the Wildtrak it felt much like the way you're describing the new Jeep - rough and ready, but still awesome. Good luck and enjoy the Rubicon!

Old 05-13-2024, 04:02 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Totally getcha, sj24k. I sold my built-to-the-stars 2014 Wrangler 2-door a month before my 110 P400 arrived. Was glad to be rid of it because the Defender is so very much better (than a JK in general, and then a 2-door JK with lift, new suspension, 35s, etc.)

But after 2 years, I started bugging my friend 600 miles away to sell it back to me, which he did a year ago. I brought it home and have been delighted ever since. Now I use the Defender for western off-road adventures (I live in Atlanta and drive out to CO/UT/NV/AZ/WY/MT/NM at least once a year), because the Jeep is ridiculously crude for a 25-hour trip, whereas I made it to Albuquerque on Day 1 last month. So Moab took 1.5 days, where in the Jeep it always takes 2.5.

The Jeep was never my only car, and if that were the case I might consider a new JL Rubicon (coincidentally abbreviated JLR ) but probably wouldn't give up the Defender; it's too good on the road and good enough off-road. But the JL is sooooooo much better than the JK was for on-road manners.

As for reliability, my 40k-miles 2022 Defender has been to the dealership zero times for warranty work, and my Jeep was hugely problematic during the first 35,000 miles but seems to have settled down in the last 10k. This includes a complete engine replacement under warranty in 2016 wiht 15,000 miles, as well as many other things. And still I love the snot out of it.

Not OP, but thanks for the insight here. Something about the Jeep is certainly appealing. I haven’t yet had the chance to test drive a new Rubicon, but wonder how that will compare. Hopefully better than those of years prior.

The other thing with the Jeep is availability of parts. I am being quoted $2,800 to have my rear shock repaired just 10k miles out of warranty. This failure wasn’t from beating it to **** off road, it was from normal wear and tear combined with questionable engineering. I drive a 2020 P400 110. A rear shock failure is absurd at this mileage interval, and frankly it’s not something I can repair on my own given all the electronic systems involved. I fear for the day something more serious goes wrong. You know what you’re getting into when you buy a LR , but I’m by no means made of money.

I am also curious on depreciation curves for the Defenders. Right now, my fully loaded 2020 110 SE with every pack you can think of, is worth $40k-ish per Carvana. That’s at roughly 60k miles, during which I have taken excellent and careful care of the truck. Oil changes every 5k miles, etc. That’s a tough hit from the MSRP price of roughly $80k. Every vehicle is a depreciating asset, I get it, but 50% over 3+ years is rough. Compared to a Rubicon, which appear to be worth 60-70% of MSRP over the same time span. Maybe the Defender will bottom out and stabilize, but it’s inarguable these aren’t holding value well compared to the larger market.

Im rambling here, but can’t shake the thought it may be smart to unload this while I’m ahead on the finances. I don’t want to be stuck with a truck worth $5k in 5 years.

Last edited by EchorecT7E; 05-13-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

Not OP, but thanks for the insight here. Something about the Jeep is certainly appealing. I haven’t yet had the chance to test drive a new Rubicon, but wonder how that will compare. Hopefully better than those of years prior.

The other thing with the Jeep is availability of parts. I am being quoted $2,800 to have my rear shock repaired just 10k miles out of warranty. This failure wasn’t from beating it to **** off road, it was from normal wear and tear combined with questionable engineering. I drive a 2020 P400 110. A rear shock failure is absurd at this mileage interval, and frankly it’s not something I can repair on my own given all the electronic systems involved. I fear for the day something more serious goes wrong. You know what you’re getting into when you buy a LR , but I’m by no means made of money.

I am also curious on depreciation curves for the Defenders. Right now, my fully loaded 2020 110 SE with every pack you can think of, is worth $40k-ish per Carvana. That’s at roughly 60k miles, during which I have taken excellent and careful care of the truck. Oil changes every 5k miles, etc. That’s a tough hit from the MSRP price of roughly $80k. Every vehicle is a depreciating asset, I get it, but 50% over 3+ years is rough. Compared to a Rubicon, which appear to be worth 60-70% of MSRP over the same time span. Maybe the Defender will bottom out and stabilize, but it’s inarguable these aren’t holding value well compared to the larger market.

Im rambling here, but can’t shake the thought it may be smart to unload this while I’m ahead on the finances. I don’t want to be stuck with a truck worth $5k in 5 years.
Nah you're ok to ramble. The depreciation is what it is. Ballpark you're going to lose 25-30% from MSRP in the first 18 months and another 15-20% in the second 18 months. That's pretty much any new vehicle these days... sadly. That's where your lease residuals are coming from 50-60% of MSRP after 36 months almost no matter what you buy. The depreciation will level off now probably to 10% going forward next year. The scary part is repairs out of warranty, which you do have legit reason to be concerned with if you're on a budget. I'm rather convinced these vehicles are made for folks who can afford to lose some money and who also have a bit more time on their hands than most. They're fun and all, look really cool but certain folks need to know when it might be a wise time to bail.

Last edited by Chief65; 05-13-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

I am also curious on depreciation curves for the Defenders. Compared to a Rubicon, which appear to be worth 60-70% of MSRP over the same time span.
Haven't checked in awhile, but when I was Jeep shopping (2014) JD Power or Consumer Reports listed the least depreciating vehicles and the WRangler, Tacoma, Forerunner and FJ Cruiser at the time were all in the mid-70% after FIVE years. I was totally willing to get a used one but only 2012-2014 because the new 3.6 Pentastar came out in 2012 with about 100hp more than the 3.8 it replaced. I couldn't find one any cheaper than $2000 less than a new one, and that one had 35,000 miles on it! And not a Rubicon -- those were absurdly expensive for used ones.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:21 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Considering nice LR4s that are 10 years old and have decent miles can be had in the $20s, I don’t think Defenders will likely ever get below $20k. The depreciation curve is steep.

The warranty on my 2020 goes out on 6/11. T minus 29 days. I have 43,000 miles. One small coolant leak and both halos went out early. Other than that pivi problems that were easily solved.

my buddy just got a Rubicon X and paid just over $70k for his. It’s amazing and beautiful and expensive, but my Defender is sweet. Hopefully he’ll pick me up for a ride if I need it

OP, pics of the X please. They are cool!