Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tyre Noise when using Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 09:43 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tyre Noise when using Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure

Following on from my previous post, I've decided to stay with the 20in wheels on the V8 Carpathian I'm buying. I think it's the easier option for now.

However, I do a lot of high speed driving and I'm concerned the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure might not be the best tyre for me as this review says it's noisy at high speed.

https://worldtirereview.com/goodyear...nture-reviews/

Is anyone else running this tyre and could tell me their experience as I've still time to order some other 20in replacement tyres?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2022, 10:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

I think the Goodyear's are pretty quiet at speed. Tread pattern isn't that aggressive. Worked well in soft sand too, as they tend to float more on top of the sand rather than dig into it. Not that great in heavy rain with some hydroplaning. Doubt they are any good in snow, but I don't know for sure since I'm running dedicated winter tires. Also, mine are somewhat worn after 10K miles so I doubt you will get more than 30K miles out of a set. In summary, a decent OEM tire that isn't great at anything.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply.

I'm reassured that the tyre is quite quiet. It's interesting that the review I posted said it was noisy, but when you check the db reading for it, it's 72db. By comparison, the 22in Continental is the same so it would seem it's not overly noisy at all. I guess the fact it's 255 rather than 275 helps as wider rubber is noisier.

I'm a bit concerned about the hyrdoplaning though.

All in all, for now the Goodyear tyre on the 20in rim seems a better bet than the Conti on the 22in rim as it's a bit more of an all rounder and whilst I might lose some high speed stability, I gain in being able to go off road a little and drive over kerbs etc with no worries.

I was tempted to buy a brand new set of 5 x 22in black wheels and Conti tyres on e-Bay for £3,800 as an option but I'm not sure if it's an easy home garage job to swap wheels over with TPMS etc....

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Ludders54 (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

No tire noise of note on these factory tires on 20" wheels on mine. And I'm a picky person about this.

Define high speed however. If you're regularly 100mph + you don't want these tires.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Thanks.

I drive French motorways at 60 - 100 mph but I'm not sure if the Defender V8 lends itself to those speeds, because of it's ergonomics. Might be a bit too brick like so I'd go slower but certainly I'd touch and exceed 100mph on occasions if not prolonged periods. Probably around 90mph on a long drive.

Why do you say I wouldn't want these tyres? High speed stability?

Old 03-07-2022, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nashvegas
No tire noise of note on these factory tires on 20" wheels on mine. And I'm a picky person about this.

Define high speed however. If you're regularly 100mph + you don't want these tires.
I see the tyre is rated as T up to 118mph. Is there a better higher speed rated tyre you'd recommend as I've still time to change tyres...

Old 03-07-2022, 12:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

By switching to a summer performance tire, you'd have the best chance of salvaging an error / unexpected condition at speed if in fact your intended usage is ... high speed jaunts (not judging, I'm a total speed demon myself). I'd see what LR puts on supercharged sports / BMW puts on X3M, X5M's / Audi SQ5 etc (a more performance oriented SUV that usually has a choice of summers or all seasons) and get one of those tires.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I have no complaints with the noise of mine but I have the 18in wheels so ymmv. Do check your PSI when taking delivery though as they will likely have them at or near 50psi, too much for most.

Last edited by Chief65; 03-07-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nashvegas
By switching to a summer performance tire, you'd have the best chance of salvaging an error / unexpected condition at speed if in fact your intended usage is ... high speed jaunts (not judging, I'm a total speed demon myself). I'd see what LR puts on supercharged sports / BMW puts on X3M, X5M's / Audi SQ5 etc (a more performance oriented SUV that usually has a choice of summers or all seasons) and get one of those tires.
I’m looking at Pirelli Zero Scorpion All Season. Comes highly rated and size is made for JLR.

Last edited by TheEscapist; 03-07-2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Mudding
Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts

Not noisy at all. And I just did a very long drive at highway speeds (110km/h) in torrential rain. No issues.

Quick Reply: Tyre Noise when using Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure