2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urban Carpathian Edition D90 - Mods Finished!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:36 PM
Mudding
Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Urban Carpathian Edition D90 - Mods Finished!

The Urban Automotive parts are finally installed. Fitment of the parts was generally very good, and the quality of the painted finish on the parts is excellent.

Mods include:

- Urban Wide Arch Kit
- Urban 22” Wheels w/Firestone Destination AT2 Tires 285/45-22
- Urban Rear Roof Spoiler
- Urban Side Vents
- Urban Bonnet Vents
- Urban Side Tube Steps
​​​​​​- Urban Rear Tire Cover
- Urban Badging
- Front & Rear Bumpers Painted Gloss Narvik Black.
- OEM Classic Mud Flaps
- Windows Tinted
- PPF on Gloss Black Body Panels

I’m happy with the finished product. The Wide Arch Kit really broadens the look of the Defender.

Last edited by Polar993; 03-12-2022 at 10:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Polar993:
GrouseK9 (03-13-2022), MattF (03-13-2022), Ratledge (04-08-2024)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Personal opinion … I like it but a few things confuse me …

- All that custom work and no color matching the rear calipers to the front?
- I would have painted the muffler and tips black to complete the look. They already look out of place on a regular V8, more so her3 because of the custom work.
- Why mudflaps on a street build?

Old 03-12-2022, 10:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by soulsea
Personal opinion … I like it but a few things confuse me …

- All that custom work and no color matching the rear calipers to the front?
- I would have painted the muffler and tips black to complete the look. They already look out of place on a regular V8, more so her3 because of the custom work.
- Why mudflaps on a street build?
I’m keeping the unmatched xenon calipers as-is. They’re no longer offered and are now somewhat of a unicorn as far as our Defenders are concerned.

Exhaust is next and I’m considering the Milltek with cerakote black tips.

IMO Mud-flaps just look cool and they actually seem to help keep some of the road splatter off the car. The Classic Mudflaps supposedly don’t perform too well in serious off road applications and tend to get chewed up.

I know my modifications are not going to resonate with everyone on this forum. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and I respect that.

Old 03-13-2022, 09:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 191 Likes on 113 Posts
The following users liked this post:
markjlr (04-08-2024)
Old 03-13-2022, 10:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks nice, a little too much for my taste but stands out for sure. Have you thought about replacing your A pillars with the gloss versions? For some reason the signature logo comes with body color which seems to break up the lines.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:52 AM
Winching
Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

looks amazing. I can say matte carpathian or the carpathian edition in pictures does not give the color it’s justice. I saw one at the dealer for the first time and was blown away

i went with classic mud flaps also. was back and forth and when i saw side profiles of the defender without it just looked like something was missing.

The Urban build is between street and off road appearance wise. the flaps work for me

Old 03-13-2022, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Love it! I have the Urban wide arches and side vents sitting in my dining room right now waiting to get sent out for paint and fitting to my 90X as well. Nice to see a preview of what it will look like.

Any tips for fitting the parts, since you mentioned "Fitment of the parts was generally very good"

Last edited by Nanozic; 03-13-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,254 Likes on 746 Posts

@Polar993 - Wow! Just, Wow! Looks awesome. I just love seeing what people do with their Defenders. Some make them screaming fast, some make them gorgeous, some pound them off-road, I love each and every one of them. Well done there. I'm going with the Extended Wheel Arches as soon as I can get DHL to deliver them! Mine will be the classic mismatched black faded coloring. I hope to soon have them liberally coated with mud, dust, and other off-roading gore so I don't plan to sweat it!

The following 3 users liked this post by GrouseK9:
GavinC (03-14-2022), Polar993 (03-14-2022), Scoutiipippen (04-12-2024)
Old 03-14-2022, 05:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Nanozic
Love it! I have the Urban wide arches and side vents sitting in my dining room right now waiting to get sent out for paint and fitting to my 90X as well. Nice to see a preview of what it will look like.

Any tips for fitting the parts, since you mentioned "Fitment of the parts was generally very good"
The Wide Arches fit generally quite well. I actually have the factory fender flares on my car and the Uban Wide Arches mounted on top of them! By mounting to the existing fender flares, it provides excellent rigidity.

3M tape with promoter worked on 3 of the 4 arches, but the one that goes around the gas cap has a bit of a gap that needs to be addressed. We are waiting to hear back from Urban with what they suggest, but I'm thinking we may use a small amount of epoxy to get it properly fastened where there's a gap. My car has full PPF, so the epoxy would be on the PPF, not the paint. If the Wide Arches ever needed to come off in the future, that small section of PPF can be reapplied easily. Land Rover uses Xpel Fusion for their PPF on the Carpathian Edition.

If yours has the same problem, I definitely recommend having your installer use a small section of PPF before using any epoxy.

The other Urban parts are a perfect fit, including their side step tubes.

The following users liked this post:
Scoutiipippen (04-12-2024)
Old 03-14-2022, 05:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Yulongtd6
Looks nice, a little too much for my taste but stands out for sure. Have you thought about replacing your A pillars with the gloss versions? For some reason the signature logo comes with body color which seems to break up the lines.
I was considering wrapping the A pillars with a gloss black vinyl, but later decided against it. I think it looks okay as is.

I hate the Signature Square thing on the 90. Totally blocks the view from the backseat and it can't be removed. From the outside I think it looks okay and it's unique, but everyone asks what's the purpose of it??? I don't have an answer!!! Wish mine didn't have it, but I bought an inventory car from a canceled order, so I took what I could get.

Quick Reply: Urban Carpathian Edition D90 - Mods Finished!