Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Useless Spare Tire Alignment Tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 06:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts
Default Useless Spare Tire Alignment Tool

I was installing 5 winter tires on our new 2023 Defender. I took off the Goodyear spare tire and screwed the “alignment tool” onto the top lug nut stud. This thing that makes it easier to install the spare tire:

I loosely install the 2 lug nuts on the 2 lower spare tire studs. Then I attempt to unscrew the alignment tool. It will not budge. I get a big screwdriver and start turning it and I see the entire wheel pulling away from the mounting bracket with each turn. I give up and take off the lower lug nuts and the spare tire. Now I can easily unscrew the alignment tool off the stud. I have no idea what is going wrong here. Then I try passing the alignment tool through a lug nut hole in the wheel and learn that it does not go through. Mystery solved. My 2023 alignment tool is useless as it's too big at the bottom and you cannot unscrew it once you put the spare tire on it. Just to confirm, I went and got the alignment tool out of our 2021 Defender that I have used multiple times. It easily passes right through a lug nut hole. Test your alignment tool on a wheel hole before you attempt to use it.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
I was installing 5 winter tires on our new 2023 Defender. I took off the Goodyear spare tire and screwed the “alignment tool” onto the top lug nut stud. This thing that makes it easier to install the spare tire:

I loosely install the 2 lug nuts on the 2 lower spare tire studs. Then I attempt to unscrew the alignment tool. It will not budge. I get a big screwdriver and start turning it and I see the entire wheel pulling away from the mounting bracket with each turn. I give up and take off the lower lug nuts and the spare tire. Now I can easily unscrew the alignment tool off the stud. I have no idea what is going wrong here. Then I try passing the alignment tool through a lug nut hole in the wheel and learn that it does not go through. Mystery solved. My 2023 alignment tool is useless as it's too big at the bottom and you cannot unscrew it once you put the spare tire on it. Just to confirm, I went and got the alignment tool out of our 2021 Defender that I have used multiple times. It easily passes right through a lug nut hole. Test your alignment tool on a wheel hole before you attempt to use it.
As a data point, which wheels do you have?

Old 02-18-2023, 09:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
I learned that the spare is VERY easy to take off and re-mount with one suggestion. Someone else was concerned here a while back about it so I'm mentioning it.

One tip that makes it very easy is, remove the top nut completely but leave the bottom 2 tight. Insert the pin that holds the tire (it's in your kit with the jack). This does not fit easily if you try to start the thread!! Someone else had the same issue. To solve that, use the screwdriver end of the tire iron and just start turning. It's counter-intuitive to start turning a screw before it's threaded at least a little but it does work.

The complaint was that the pin should be smaller. It is a very tight fit but it needs to be to ensure that the wheel does not get scratched in the next step.

After the pin is threaded, remove the bottom 2 nuts and the tire will slide off.

To replace, slide it back on the pin, insert and mostly tighten the bottom 2 nuts. Remove the top pin and install the top not.

Torque all 3 and it's done.

My spare (wheel only not tire) is coated and I'll never have water spots again.

​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:27 AM
Winching
Received 611 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by _Allegedly
Hope this helps.

Seemed to work fine for you, with no trouble. Curious to see what the difference is, maybe aftermarket wheels I’m thinking.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,407 Likes on 710 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Seemed to work fine for you, with no trouble. Curious to see what the difference is, maybe aftermarket wheels I’m thinking.
No, mine are factory wheels and the stud is extremely tight to the point I thought it was too large as well. It's just a process that worked for me.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 273 Likes on 174 Posts

Well at least you got an alignment tool, even if it's only useable as a paper weight.

My 90 didn't come with any "alignment tool"

Old 02-18-2023, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Nope, OEM style 5098 wheels. Tool does not fit though the lug holes of the dark grey 5098 wheels it came with and it does not fit though the light silver 5098 OEM wheels the winter tires are mounted on. It's not just tight, my tool is actually too big and has a small lip at the bottom that prevents it from going through a wheel hole.

Probably just a 2023 problem as the alignment tool that came with our 2021 Defender works fine with all 20 of the style 5098 OEM wheels I have.

Last edited by PaulLR; 02-19-2023 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
Old 02-19-2023, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 216 Likes on 110 Posts

Unscrewing that alignment post is tough. I don't screw it in all the way and use the provided lug wrench flat blade to loosen the post. The blade on the lug wrench is a lot bigger and provides much better leverage than a screw driver.

Old 06-08-2024, 11:49 AM
Overlanding
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Bringing this back to the top. Putting the spare back on when I installed the Thule bike rack was a disaster. The alignment tool does not fit through the lug hole in the 22” wheel. Of course, I discovered that after I attempted to remove the ‘tool’ and had to take everything off and drift out the ‘tool’ from the back side. If I had been dealing with a flat, instead of in my driveway, I would have contemplated homicide. Simply unbelievable that the OEM ‘tool’ does not fit the OEM wheels…

Quick Reply: Useless Spare Tire Alignment Tool