Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 Carpathian Edition - North America

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:49 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No roof rack options?

It seems the V8’s will not have roof rack options. I can’t believe it. But everything I am reading in the literature seem to be leading towards no roof storage/carry options. If I can’t put a canoe or a cargo box on is this really a Defender? Come on! My BMW M2C has the option to put on a roof rack (never would) but not a Defender?

I have been telling my dealer about wanting this exact car for well over a year. When they had their meeting about the V8’s coming 5 people at the dealership immediately thought of me. Let go roof rack! And yep, a winch too.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:26 AM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right. Weight specs for the roof of a V8 is zero. No roof rack option. I’m assuming they are worried about turning over at speed. The V8 is heavier but can’t think it would affect roof. Also heard winch from LR is expensive and no harness for winch available yet.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WantAWinch
It seems the V8’s will not have roof rack options. I can’t believe it. But everything I am reading in the literature seem to be leading towards no roof storage/carry options. If I can’t put a canoe or a cargo box on is this really a Defender? Come on! My BMW M2C has the option to put on a roof rack (never would) but not a Defender?

I have been telling my dealer about wanting this exact car for well over a year. When they had their meeting about the V8’s coming 5 people at the dealership immediately thought of me. Let go roof rack! And yep, a winch too.
I am assuming you can order the roof rails and a rack and fit them after market?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:00 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof on V8

One hopes that rack options will be available. I certainly didn’t need a drift button. I have owned 7 Rovers since 2002 and I have been able to put roof rails on every single one from the supercharged RR to the Discovery 4’s. Land Rover at least make rails possible. I had hoped for a roof tent on my V8, but I will settle for my canoe or my storage box.

At this point I am unsure of my direction here. I might as well just get a P400 based Defender for dirt road adventures and get an Alpina XB-7. But that grill! First world problems.

Maybe my Discovery 4 can last two more years and Land Rover will have fixed the Country Club set up and they will get to making a more useable V8.

Don’t get me wrong the Carpathian is sweet, but it does not really ring true to the spirt of a Defender in my opinion if you can’t take your gear along.

Last edited by WantAWinch; 03-24-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Overlanding
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WantAWinch

I had the same issue and ran it down with the dealer to confirm. No dice. Makes no sense. A G63 is faster and has a roof rack so I think it’s just cya bull**** on the part of JLR. No idea who would want to buy this truck.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Overlanding
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by russelldav
I am assuming you can order the roof rails and a rack and fit them after market?
You probably have to drop the headliner and punch the roof for rails.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, the Ford Bronco First Edition came loaded with every feature except roof rails AND tow package. They were pretty tight-lipped about it, but apparently it had to do with concerns about exceeding GVWR.

And that's why I cancelled my reservation and am back here now

Ed

Old 03-24-2021, 10:23 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RedAustinIX
If it makes you feel any better, the Ford Bronco First Edition came loaded with every feature except roof rails AND tow package. They were pretty tight-lipped about it, but apparently it had to do with concerns about exceeding GVWR.

And that's why I cancelled my reservation and am back here now

Ed
haha I am in the same situation - had a reservation for a Bronco and then they said no roof rack for MY2022 and I cancelled.

I suspect they need to do more engineering and testing before they approve the roof rails, I bet you it will be a factory option for MY2023.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 682 Likes on 410 Posts

Anybody else remember the Discovery SVX that never appeared. That was the Discovery that previous LR4 owners wanted. Maybe JLR will realize that taking a V8 Defender and drifting around, tearing up the woods isn't a priority for most of us. Bring on the V8 Defender SVX that can tow anything and carry tons of gear and outdoor toys. And don't forget to offer 20" wheels instead of those ridiculous 22" wheels.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

I just don't see them making a different shell for the V8 models and removing the roof rack hardware. Once they start getting delivered we will see what the story is.

Quick Reply: V8 Carpathian Edition - North America