Sponsored by:

V8 - Defender - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 06:19 AM
Winching
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPWAGON
Hi All
I am new here and working in a 110 Defender build. I am trying to learn if there are any downsides to the V8 except for gas consumption? While I will do a bit of off roading in North Carolina on forest service roads, I doubt I will be rock crawling. My real goal for the car is for long distance road trips through any type of weather such as snow or and heavy rain without problems.

I had a 2013 Cayenne GTS that was great on the road and prior models could be ordered with off road abilities such as locking diff but the new Cayennes do not have much in the way of off road abilities. My thought is that the V8 Defender will lose some off road ability compared to the P400 model but will be better as a road car on the highway and secondary roads with more power, revised roll bars and suspension change. The ability to climb up mountains and passing will be much better.

Porsche and Ford offer corporate extended warranties that you can buy at time of purchase of the vehicle. It allows the warranty to be extended to 6 or 7 years. Just wondered if LR had a program like this? I do not like the 3rd party programs for many reasons but had good luck with the manufacturer programs.

Please share your thoughts on the new V8.

Thank you
If you are coming from a Cayenne GTS you will be happier with the V8. The V8 Defender is a lot more relaxed than the 6 cylinder in my opinion and the difference in gas mileage is nothing to write home about. I have both the V8 and the P400, and the gas mileage on both is about the same, and of course, it depends on your driving style. Acceleration wise, again, not much of a difference. You should test drive both and decide which one you like the best.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the P400 and its more than enough HP.....its faster than 90% of the SUV's on the road already.......I cant justify spending that much extra money to get exotic car HP for an SUV

Old 02-05-2024, 03:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I owned a 90X with the P400. Thought it was pretty quick, really surprised me. I felt the 90 was just too small and not practical enough for my needs and swapped to a 110 V8. The V8 is not dramatically faster than the P400 but it is faster. It sounds a lot better, I always felt like the P400 kinda sounded like a vacuum cleaner. There are moments where the V8 lets you know it is more powerful than the P400, but you really have to drive it that way, if you know what I mean.

All that said, I am extremely happy that I swapped, and decided to get the V8 rather than a 110 with a P400. It does cost a premium and for 99% of Defender buyers the P400 is more than enough. So if you don't mind spending a little extra for a little more power and much better sounding exhaust note, the V8 isn't a bad way to go.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:51 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand on the size of the 90, my wife drives a 2 door bronco wildtrak and while its fun to drive its not that practical. The bronco has 35 inch tires on it. I will be using this for road trips mostly and a little off roading in NC. My thought is that while the 22 inch rims are not good for off roading, they are better for the road, and I can always downsize to 20s. The larger sway bars and revised shocks improve the road character of the P525. Its big enough but not a rolling living room like a suburban. I want a truck that's good on the road and will push through bad roads and bad weather. I will probably keep a set of chains in the back during the winter for snow.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:09 PM
Mudding
Received 305 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a 22 Defender 90 and I thought it was better on the hwy than the V8 90 I test drove and if I really feel the need for speed I drive my 2019 AMG GLE 63s coupe.
The AMG has the same off-road settings as the Defender 90 and the only limiting factor are its tires.
The 90 gets 19 mpg at 75mph and the AMG gets 23 mpg, oh yeah it does 0-60 in 2.7 sec. I almost thought I wanted a V8 110 but then I drove the AMG GLE 63s back home and laughed at the thought of trading down for so much less performance..

Old 02-05-2024, 04:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

The downside to the V8 except for gas consumption that comes to mind is weight. I don't believe JLR did anything to modify the suspension or unibody to increase the GVWR. With a heavier V8 engine, your available payload will be less than the 6 cylinder.

Old 02-05-2024, 04:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,403 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPWAGON
My thought is that while the 22 inch rims are not good for off roading, they are better for the road,
I'm curious why you would think that is the case. Could you expand on it?

Old 02-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm curious why you would think that is the case. Could you expand on it?
Mostly the consensus is, the larger the wheel, the smaller the sidewall, and for doing off pavement adventures, more sidewall is preferred. I swapped my 22's to 20in Vossens with open Country AT tires. Will probably be a little better than putting AT tires on the 22in wheels, but I don't have illusions that this rig is a 'rock crawler' anyway.

Oh I missed the 'on the road' statement. I guess better is subjective. I think it's more of a question of which tires are better on the road more than the size of the wheel. that's just my opinion. You will get less tire flex out of a 22in lower profile tire, so one could argue that is better for 'performance' driving, but we are talking about a Defender here

Last edited by Nanozic; 02-05-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:41 PM
Mudding
Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Agree that more sidewall is better for comfort in these heavy SUV’s. I had a better deal offered on a similar LR as the one I bought, but it had 22’s and all I could think was that there’s potholes out there just waiting for these rims.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanozic
I owned a 90X with the P400. Thought it was pretty quick, really surprised me. I felt the 90 was just too small and not practical enough for my needs and swapped to a 110 V8. The V8 is not dramatically faster than the P400 but it is faster. It sounds a lot better, I always felt like the P400 kinda sounded like a vacuum cleaner. There are moments where the V8 lets you know it is more powerful than the P400, but you really have to drive it that way, if you know what I mean.

All that said, I am extremely happy that I swapped, and decided to get the V8 rather than a 110 with a P400. It does cost a premium and for 99% of Defender buyers the P400 is more than enough. So if you don't mind spending a little extra for a little more power and much better sounding exhaust note, the V8 isn't a bad way to go.
These Defenders aren't really geared for 0-60 sprints. Separately, a V8 is a full second and a half faster 0-60 over a P400, which is actually quite a bit. The P400 has some good low end grunt but loses steam in my experience.

Quick Reply: V8 - Defender - Worth it?