Sponsored by:

Vehicle Recovery Gear w/ Defender

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 10:05 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts
Question Vehicle Recovery Gear w/ Defender

Hi Everyone,

I've browsed a few threads via search regarding tow eye strength, the tow hitch receiver, front recovery hook, etc. but hadn't seen one covering this particular topic: Vehicle Recovery Gear & Setup w/ Defender with more of an emphasis of on-road recoveries.

After the ice storms over the past week, there were many vehicles getting stuck on the side of the road/ditches that they slid into. I'd like to put together a kit for recovering such vehicles, and want to make sure I'm buying the proper gear to do it safely and effectively. My plan is to keep in the lunchbox for such situations. Admittedly, the Defender is my first offroader, or even vehicle with a hitch receiver for that matter, so I don't have any experience with this. I know some basics like not to use the tow ball to pull anyone out of a sticky situation, however, I would like some guidance on what to buy and how to use it most effectively with the Defender's setup, whether that is kinetic rope, tow straps, shackles, what connection points (recovery eyes, hitch pin via receiver, etc.) that you guys are using or would use for such thing.

One thing I've been eyeing is this 9000 lb. capacity recovery strap for a basic kit.

Also, is this an acceptable practice for such application with a properly rated pin? I saw some videos on Youtube that say so, but figured I'd ask you experts.

For reference my Defender is a 110X, so I have the exposed rear recovery eyes, the tow receiver, and the front recovery loop exposed w/ the newly installed Undershield from LR at my disposal.

Last edited by DrPizz; 12-28-2022 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DrPizz:
MattF (12-28-2022), WMN (12-29-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 03:33 PM
Winching
Received 450 Likes on 213 Posts

Suggestions for some basic recovery gear in the car ( the lunchbox is tiny )
Tree saver strap

Soft shackles

Towing straps, Starter Cables, Sandplates, Winchline extension, Shovel, Air pressure gauge/deflater. Very sharp tree saw ( 2x) etc.etc

Nice to have it always by hand.

Last edited by Defendit..; 12-28-2022 at 03:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Defendit..:
dj200 (12-29-2022), DrPizz (12-30-2022), GavinC (12-28-2022), MattF (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 03:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

In no particular order - emergency stuff I carry:

1. Tow Strap
2. 2 Ea Tree saver straps
3. 2+ Soft Shackles
4. Sharp Hatchet
5. Good Emergency First Aid kit with Quick Clot
6. Lighter
7. Adequate Tool KIt (I found a nice Craftsman in a nylon case at Lowes)
8. 2+ Ratchet Straps
9. Hitch Pin
10. Survival Knife
11. Flares
12. A Tarp
13. Blanket
14. Emergency food
15. GOOD Jumper cables - don't go cheap - they wont carry enough current
16. Extra hat and work Gloves
17. Flashlight
18. GOOD FIRE EXTINGUISHER

I love the under floor storage space in the defender. Its great for carying this stuff out of the way

Last edited by jackson; 12-28-2022 at 04:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jackson:
DrPizz (12-30-2022), MattF (12-28-2022), POPTOPP (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Huc (12-29-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 644 Likes on 212 Posts

I would not use the hitch and pin in this fashion. I would use your recovery loops instead. Use a bridal setup if u really need the extra strength and /or need the pull to be in the center. Otherwise get a clevis for your hitch reciever.

Recovery gear: i suggest to get these items with proper weight ratings. (Bill Burke has a great class on this)

I put a winch probably at the top of my list. I use this more often than one would think. Not only for my vehicle but also for other vehicles. I stress the importance of how to safely use a winch and the need to be able to see the winch drum. I prefer mine easy to access and mounted in the grill area. Once you realize your winch is a tool not just for an emergency, this becomes a major advantage. If your winch is quick and easy to use, you find yourself using it a lot more often.

I keep these 3 items in my drivers door pocket for easy access. These are the items i use most. This is mainly to quickly hook up the winch. Usually someone else will be connecting these items for you, so if you're in a precarious spot it's much easier to reach down and hand your helper the items required to connect your winch. It's kind of a pain to go digging in the back of your truck and what can be sometimes a stressful situation. There's no sense to excessively try to make it over something difficult when you can quickly and easily winch yourself onward and keep moving1. Tree strap2. Metal shackle3. Soft shackle (Thin and small)(I also keep my gloves and winch remote in the center arm rest.)

Items i keep in my rear gate door pocket1. Another metal shackle2. Another soft shackle3. Pulley block4. Jack safety lock (for my Pro Eagle jack which is mounted on my spare tire. I use this jack more than i can count.
​​​​​​
Items i keep in the boot1. Kinetic rope2. Tow strap3. Winch line extensiextensio4. Tool kit
5. tire repair kit
6. Heavy duty snow chains.(I run these on the rear only and are a huge benefit not only an off-road snow, but in really muddy situations)
7. Log chain
8. Electric chainsaw
9. Duck boots
10. Half inch electric impact
Items that I keep on my roof rack
​​​​​​1. Small shovel
2. Pulaski Axe
3. 2 gallon rotopax fuel can
4. 2 gallon rotopax water can5. Maxtrax6. 6 ft steel digging bar( you wouldn't believe how often I use this)
I can't stress enough how important it is to learn how to safely use any and all of this equipment. There are many seasoned experienced people and training classes available. This is basically a list of exactly what I carry with me at all times. Not just on trails.

The following 3 users liked this post by sarek:
DrPizz (12-30-2022), GrouseK9 (01-01-2023), mopadzi (01-13-2023)
Old 12-29-2022, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 196 Likes on 112 Posts

Lucky8 has a nice little package of you want to keep it simple.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:47 AM
Mudding
Received 170 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. Yesterday I bought a repair of recovery boards from Amazon, since that seems like a good low risk first option for minor on-road recoveries (people stuck in snow namely).

Unfortunately, I think the winch will remain out of reach for me at the moment, although I see the utility no doubt. In the meantime, I'll definitely be able to grab the basics you guys listed like shovels, emergency gear, etc.

Anyone have experience with a yankum rope or a bubba rope?
Also, any recommendations on a good jack? (@sarek I saw you mentioned Pro Eagle) - I had been looking at various bottle jacks in the past.

Last edited by DrPizz; 12-30-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

MAXTRAX offers a full range of recovery gear.

Old 12-31-2022, 06:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I have a shovel, MaxTrax, tow-strap and a pair of shackles. I'll probably switch these to some soft shackles. Some flares for any roadside issues, gloves and basic tools. I really need to get a better jack for off-road. Scissors jack, Trax and dirt work off-road but it's less than ideal.

Best recovery gear was adding the rear recovery eyes. A must have that should be standard.

A better set of tires with some sidewall is arguably an even better as a preventative strategy.

When the fan encounters some smelly stuff, you can't have too much gear.

The following 5 users liked this post by GavinC:
Cornbeef (01-01-2023), DrPizz (01-03-2023), Eitan (01-01-2023), jusmax88 (12-31-2022), MattF (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 10:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

For recovery ropes, there's a great company in Ohio called 'Zombie Choker' that sells high-quality and very well-priced soft shackles and recovery ropes. I only know of it because I'm from Ohio, obviously.
http://www.zombiechoker.com/#/http://www.zombiechoker.com/shop.html#/

Maxtrax seem great, but I haven't used them. I agree with others that have stated that tires are probably one of the biggest improvements and even precautionary moves you can make with this vehicle. The stock off-road package tires were chosen because of their weight (as stated by a LR 'Insider' here). They definitely are capable but they have mediocre sidewalls that are fairly puncture-prone.

Honestly, one thing I always see missing are ratchet straps, cam-lock straps, and similar tie-downs. You never know when you'll need to lock something down or attach something broken, etc. Rhino USA makes the best retractable ratchet straps and cam-lock straps that I've used.
​​​​​https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/1-x-10-retractable-ratchet-straps

https://www.rhinousainc.com/products/1-x-12-lashing-tie-down-straps

The other thing I started carrying that has come in very handy is this:
https://www.rei.com/product/202568/a...olding-bow-saw

Super handy for cutting downed trees and overhanging large branches. In think it's the best folding bow saw in existence. The hard core types love their pinstriping - it's their form of cauliflower ear - but, uh, personally I like my car, too.

That bow saw sort of alleviates the need for a chainsaw as it'll make quick enough work of anything 12" in diameter and under. It will cut through larger, but you get diminishing returns on the worthwhileness of using a manual saw.
​​

Last edited by Drewes; 12-31-2022 at 10:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Recovery Gear w/ Defender