2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise, Coming from Top, Right, Rear. Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Weird Noise, Coming from Top, Right, Rear. Maybe?

We have had our Defender since August, it has a 04/2020 build date, and it has been to the dealer multiple times for issues. When it goes back again, this will be the 6th time since August. So needless to say I am more than a little pissed off that this vehicle is not up to par quality wise with other brands. Especially when this thing cost over $80K US.

But the last 2 times it went in, it went in for a noise that sounds like it is coming from the top, right rear of the vehicle. The shop foreman rode with me, he heard it the first time. The supervisor rode with my wife on Monday of this week and he heard it. Each time they hear it just fine. It almost sounds like a fan, or something mechanical, but who knows for sure. It is a weird moaning or humming noise that only appears above 48MPH. It comes and goes, but sometimes it is so loud it is almost deafening. Our cell phones can't capture the noise on video though, we have tried.

The first time we took it in they traced it to the front bumper, so they took the bumper off and tightened everything underneath it and then put the bumper back on. Noise came back after driving 20 miles or so.

This time I picked it up on Friday and same thing. The noise was gone, and then it came back. This time they told me it a was trim piece on the rear of the vehicle and clips were loose. But my paperwork shows they tightened some screw in the sunroof track. WTF? Seriously? Either way, the noise is still there. We have had the A Pillar thing done, and it seems to be fine. Now we have to take it back a third time for this same noise!

Nobody at our dealership even wants to call us back. It blows me away that someone would engineer a vehicle with snap on parts for the exterior. It might not be a wind noise, but this thing is made like a lego kit, so who knows. I am simply at my wits end with this thing. I hate having it in my garage! I won't even get into all the infotainment issues or other issues. I honestly think this thing is the biggest POS we have ever bought. I have heard of buyer's remorse, but I have never had it, until now.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought we decided that it's your wife's car and she's happy so there's no problem?

Here, since this has come up several times, I'll offer several solutions: 1) Live with it. Turn up the damned music and reconcile yourself to the fact that it sometimes makes a noise. Breath in. Breath out. Move on. 2) Take it to the dealership and demand that they keep it until it's fixed. If that extends over 30 days, you'll evoke the lemon law and cancel your purchase. Make that clear up front. Get everything in writing and be prepared to walk away. 3) Trade it in for a sterile-*** Lexus that won't make weird noises for 50k miles. No harm, no foul. This just wasn't for you, no biggie.

Those are solutions. Complaining isn't a solution. It neither makes you feel better nor does it do any good.

Nate

The following users liked this post:
Elektrapops (12-01-2021)
Old 12-12-2020, 07:24 PM
Mudding

HaHa.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 2020Defender1stEdition
HaHa.
Got it man. You're not looking for solutions, you're here to bitch. I'll not interrupt you again.

Nate

Mark1107 (02-04-2021)
Old 12-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Mudding

Actually you're wrong. I do want a solution, but turning up the radio is not one. I want someone who actually owns a 2020 Defender and maybe ran across this issue to respond. Not someone who doesn't even own theirs yet. When you do get yours I hope it is everything you want it to be. Honestly. And I hope yours is trouble free, being a 2021 it might be. I am really wondering if we got a problem one, being it was built in April of this year, right around the time all this Covid was ramping up.

You are right, it is my wife's, but even she is growing agitated with it. Once this issue is fixed, if it can be fixed, I think she will be happy again.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Fair enough. Maybe someone here has had something similar and will chime in. Hell, maybe I'll be looking at this thread in a year when my '21 Defender is making an odd noise? May come in handy.

(As a aside, I just moved from Junior Member to Member! Was 30 posts the threshold? Do they know that I don't even own a Defender?

Nate

Last edited by todkavonic; 12-12-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Mudding

For your sake, I honestly hope not! I hope the 2021's have some bugs worked out of them. My wife is thinking very seriously about ordering one herself, if they can't find the problem. But we will see. Now that I put wheels on it for her, she loves it even more. So we have to figure out something.

todkavonic (12-12-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 05:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

We have had our Defender since August, it has a 04/2020 build date, and it has been to the dealer multiple times for issues. When it goes back again, this will be the 6th time since August. So needless to say I am more than a little pissed off that this vehicle is not up to par quality wise with other brands. Especially when this thing cost over $80K US.

But the last 2 times it went in, it went in for a noise that sounds like it is coming from the top, right rear of the vehicle. The shop foreman rode with me, he heard it the first time. The supervisor rode with my wife on Monday of this week and he heard it. Each time they hear it just fine. It almost sounds like a fan, or something mechanical, but who knows for sure. It is a weird moaning or humming noise that only appears above 48MPH. It comes and goes, but sometimes it is so loud it is almost deafening. Our cell phones can't capture the noise on video though, we have tried.

The first time we took it in they traced it to the front bumper, so they took the bumper off and tightened everything underneath it and then put the bumper back on. Noise came back after driving 20 miles or so.

This time I picked it up on Friday and same thing. The noise was gone, and then it came back. This time they told me it a was trim piece on the rear of the vehicle and clips were loose. But my paperwork shows they tightened some screw in the sunroof track. WTF? Seriously? Either way, the noise is still there. We have had the A Pillar thing done, and it seems to be fine. Now we have to take it back a third time for this same noise!

Nobody at our dealership even wants to call us back. It blows me away that someone would engineer a vehicle with snap on parts for the exterior. It might not be a wind noise, but this thing is made like a lego kit, so who knows. I am simply at my wits end with this thing. I hate having it in my garage! I won't even get into all the infotainment issues or other issues. I honestly think this thing is the biggest POS we have ever bought. I have heard of buyer's remorse, but I have never had it, until now.
How many miles were on the odometer when this noise occurred and what is the current reading?

Old 12-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Mudding

First occurrence started at 2300 miles, and we are now at 4300. We have driven it quite a bit, simply because they have to schedule it back in when they have loaner cars to give us.

But here is the weird thing. I drove it today to fill it up with gas for my wife and to the grocery store. On the way to the gas station I had the windows up and sunroof closed, heard the noise the whole way. On the way home from the store I drove it with the sunroof in vent mode and the driver side window half way down (it's 67 degrees here today), no noise. So I have zero clue what it could be.

Last edited by 2020Defender1stEdition; 12-13-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow same exact noise for me started at about 3k miles. It begins at 48MPH it’s a loud moaning some kind of vibration. In the morning I cleaned out the front traps full of lots of small dry leaves and sticks. Noise was gone , now I don’t think it was that simple I’m expecting it to come back. I am in NY maybe it’s the front plate holder , maybe it’s the off road tires grabbed something causing the vibration. No idea thinking out load. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Weird Noise, Coming from Top, Right, Rear. Maybe?