2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noise, Coming from Top, Right, Rear. Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 03:15 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You described it exactly! It is a loud moaning. And it has be at or above 48MPH. I don't know what it could be! Every time they try something it goes away, for about 20 miles then comes right back.

What is funny about it also, when I wash the car you won't hear it for a few days, then bam. It's back. Same with rain.

I don't think it could be the license plate, and definitely not the tires. If you take yours in I would be curious what your dealer tells you.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020Defender1stEdition
You described it exactly! It is a loud moaning. And it has be at or above 48MPH. I don't know what it could be! Every time they try something it goes away, for about 20 miles then comes right back.

What is funny about it also, when I wash the car you won't hear it for a few days, then bam. It's back. Same with rain.

I don't think it could be the license plate, and definitely not the tires. If you take yours in I would be curious what your dealer tells you.
I won’t take it in unless I can get the noise back.
I do have the roof rack and at certain mileage points you should get screws tightened.
I have the ladder as well but both seem super secure. Let’s see if it happens again for me

Old 12-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Mudding

We have the roof rack and lunch box. Took rack off, put it back on and tightened everything. Took lunch box off and put back on and retightened. Noise still came back. I don't think it is accesory related. It might be a wind noise of some kind, but I don't think the accessories have anything to do with it. Keep me posted if yours comes back.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Just a thought -- maybe the wetness is a critical clue? If the noise is caused by leaves they might flap when dry and not when wet? A bunch of dry leaves stuck somewhere in an air stream might "moan" as they vibrate. Same for paper and anything else which stiffens when dry and clumps when wet.

Also, we live in the country. We just went through the annual chipmunk and mouse "find housing for the winter" time -- where they build their nests with leaves and paper and similar items. They love air ducts and the heat exchanger under dashboards.

Do you see any mouse poops anywhere? Like black grains of rice.

Just a thought.

Last edited by TrioLRowner; 12-13-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Mudding

We live in the city, and don't park where there are trees and such. Haven't seen any leaves or anything to clean out. The part that is super weird is that it happened at and above 48MPH. Below that speed and it don't do it. If it were leaves or something else it would do it all the time I expect.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually you're wrong. I do want a solution, but turning up the radio is not one. I want someone who actually owns a 2020 Defender and maybe ran across this issue to respond. Not someone who doesn't even own theirs yet. When you do get yours I hope it is everything you want it to be. Honestly. And I hope yours is trouble free, being a 2021 it might be. I am really wondering if we got a problem one, being it was built in April of this year, right around the time all this Covid was ramping up.

You are right, it is my wife's, but even she is growing agitated with it. Once this issue is fixed, if it can be fixed, I think she will be happy again.
Could it be this problem related to the door seals vibrating ?

Oldmowgli

Old 12-14-2020, 04:18 PM
Mudding

I have seen this video, it's not that. I have already done those mods and it helped, but still didn't make the rattles go away 100%. They went away about 80 % and it's not near as loud for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Oldmowgli (12-14-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 07:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also noticed a noise that seems to be coming from the back at highway speeds. I suspect its coming from the ladder. I opened it and closed it and don't have the noise again. I think at some point I'll add some rubber stickers. But I can't be sure its the ladder though.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:56 PM
Mudding

I wouldn't think that it is the ladder. Maybe, but I don't believe so. It almost sounds like something mechanical, a fan, or something else. I found a TSB about something to do with the V6 engines that describes this to a T. But it is an AC line bracket coming into contact with some pulley. I am going to have them check it when my wife's goes back in on Monday. There is a lot of information on carcomplaints.com about the 2020 Defender. I have read thru a lot of them. I even printed some out for our dealer to try. Hell, it's worth a shot. Maybe they will get lucky and fix it this time.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't think that it is the ladder. Maybe, but I don't believe so. It almost sounds like something mechanical, a fan, or something else. I found a TSB about something to do with the V6 engines that describes this to a T. But it is an AC line bracket coming into contact with some pulley. I am going to have them check it when my wife's goes back in on Monday. There is a lot of information on carcomplaints.com about the 2020 Defender. I have read thru a lot of them. I even printed some out for our dealer to try. Hell, it's worth a shot. Maybe they will get lucky and fix it this time.
Love it. Looking for a solution. I hope it works out for you.

Nate

Quick Reply: Weird Noise, Coming from Top, Right, Rear. Maybe?