Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 09:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What the hell??

On Saturday I got into my Defender (while parked at an Audi Dealer in Manhattan, how embarrassing) to find both screens black and absolutely no reaction to the start button. Lights were working, so it was not the battery. I tried all I knew, but dead as a doornail. Then all of the sudden it lit back up. The first thing I checked was the updates and guess what, it was updating while I parked, with no notice, options, or even a dialog box to tell me what the hell it was doing.

Well, it seemed like it made some improvements, but the release notes were vague and useless (come on LandRover, it's 2021, when you are updating MY car, you need to tell ME what you are going to do or at least what you have done).

One thing that has always annoyed me was I could not sign in to the "InControl" system since day one. So I gave it a try, hoping it might be useful at remembering settings and such. As soon as I typed my password, and hit enter it has been stuck in an endless loop saying "Signing In". I was lucky enough to figure out I could still access the "Carplay" operations when my phone is connected by pressing the button for Siri. After two days and multiple starts, stops and drives it's still spinning away.

HELP! Any ideas? Anyone ever been able to sign into InControl from the infotainment system? Does anyone know how to "re-boot" the entire computer system? I hate the thought of going to the dealer because they are clueless on tech-related issues. They call LandRover, and LandRover says "we are working on it".

Thanks

Jay

Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 261 Likes on 138 Posts

My dealer had me sign in using a computer because of the endless loop of using a phone. I had no issues once I used a computer and then I was able to log into the car. The computer seems to be the way to go.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

With the car sitting still but started, hold down the power / volume button below and off to the side of the screen for 20 seconds to reboot the Pivi Pro. It might not solve your ability to sign in, but could at least get you out of being stuck.

Have you verified that the car had good cell signal when you tried to sign in?

Old 10-26-2020, 01:16 PM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default InControl sign-up

As others mentioned, do the sign up from your computer. I also tried from my phone and did not work well. Once I did it in my computer - it all worked fine. No problem signing with my registered info in the car itself (after the registration).

Old 10-26-2020, 01:18 PM
4wd Low

The restart did work and now I have been able to log in. Thanks.

how was the software update experience for the rest of you? It’s nuts that they don’t release detailed notes on the impact of the update (aka release notes).

on the positive side the ability to login to cars hotspot now is an option and works.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S
My dealer had me sign in using a computer because of the endless loop of using a phone. I had no issues once I used a computer and then I was able to log into the car. The computer seems to be the way to go.
This... our dealer did it with us from his computer after we finished up paperwork at purchase for disco. He said phones on the first try were causing issues and he didn't want us to go through that.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 PM
4wd Low

I set up the original account from my desktop, that was not the issue, it was just the login from the infotainment center that was the issue. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:52 PM
Winching
Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

i was able to sign up using my iphone 11 pro max

Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Winching
Received 559 Likes on 252 Posts

Speaking of software updates, we have an upcoming major one to look forward to. This one apparently is not automatic and courteously asks if you want to proceed with the install at your convenience Then, it fails to install.

Maybe the car was too dirty.

Last edited by umbertob; 10-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by umbertob:
Snowlion (10-27-2020), Troyan2019 (10-29-2020), Tucker Woods (10-26-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 634 Likes on 381 Posts

More fun with British electronics! This "software update" replaces the "Christmas Tree of Death" from the LR3 that lit up all the dashboard warning lights at once, dropped the suspension and put the vehicle in limp mode. Although I doubt the random software update is caused by a faulty brake pedal switch.

Last edited by PaulLR; 10-27-2020 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tucker Woods (10-27-2020)

Quick Reply: What the hell??