Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Lug Nut Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 07:10 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheel Lug Nut Key

I switched my tires over from stock and the tire shop was unable to locate the lug nut key for the spare tire... turns out that the 23 models (not sure if its the same for earlier ones) come with a second lug nut key that's specific to the spare tire. I had the one for the four tires on the vehicle but didn't realize the spare had a second, different key. The dealer can't locate the second key and missed its absence when they PDI'd the vehicle (they've been great so not complaining on that point) and are now trying to source a master key to get my spare off. In the meantime i have no access to my spare (and at the risk of sounding vain, I have a mismatched spare which always looks odd to me)

Again, not complaining, just wanted to let everyone know in case they see the lug nut key with the jack and think they are fine.. double check to make sure you have a key for both the four wheels on the car and also a second for the spare. It would be a bummer to flat somewhere and then find out you couldn't get the spare off the back.

Cheers.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:21 AM
Winching
Received 592 Likes on 306 Posts

My '23 does NOT have anything different for the spare. All the wheel locks are the same.

Old 12-10-2022, 07:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting, I'm going off what I was told at the dealership. Maybe JLR used the wrong lugs at factory?

Old 12-10-2022, 08:48 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

There are numerous vids on YouTube showing hacks for removing a locking lug nut without the key. If you have no other way, and want to end your misery, you can employ one of these methods with the understanding that it will destroy the lug nut. But until you remove it, it’s useless anyway.

Old 12-10-2022, 09:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Thanks for the info! Nothing worse than having a spare tire and not being able to use it. I once bought a winter tire package from Tire Rack and learned the hard way that the Audi OEM lug nut wrench was bigger than the lug nut hole diameter on the aftermarket wheels. (I installed them using a torque wrench and not the OEM lug nut wrench) I had to wait for a tow driver to arrive with a regular socket set. That was the last winter tire & wheel package I bought from Tire Rack.

As for the Defender, I replaced the locking lug nuts on the 4 wheels with regular lug nuts. Even when installing the locking lug nuts at the correct torque, it feels like they could easily become stripped. I kept one locking nut on the spare at a really low torque just to be sure I can easily remove it.

Old 12-10-2022, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 681 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by MattF
My '23 does NOT have anything different for the spare. All the wheel locks are the same.
I would tell your dealer you want a new set of 6 matching lug nuts and the corresponding key. The 4 tire/wheel locks should match the 2 spare wheel locks.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:04 PM
Mudding
Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

for what it's worth, my '22 110 came with two locking nuts on the spare and NO locking nuts on any of the other wheels.

Old 12-11-2022, 12:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Mine came with 6 matching locking nuts on the wheels (4 wheels, 2 on spare) but ... no key to the nuts which should be under the rear cargo floor. So had to have it ordered yada yada. Also they made me pay for it... (I think 47 bucks if I recall correctly). I figured this out after I owned it for awhile. I think the dealers might want to tighten up their PDI's to get this right!

Old 12-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by sj24k
for what it's worth, my '22 110 came with two locking nuts on the spare and NO locking nuts on any of the other wheels.
Same

Locking nuts was an optional add on I chose not to get.

Locking nuts on spare only.

Wheels being stolen is not something I worry about. Not really a thing where I live.

The following 2 users liked this post by GavinC:
GrouseK9 (12-15-2022), spritekk (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 05:56 PM
7th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the dealership had lost mine when my tires were swapped. It turns out that it is in the foam next to the tire and easy to miss. Check there and good luck!

Quick Reply: Wheel Lug Nut Key