2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't my Defender's software update?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Why won't my Defender's software update?

Based on an email from JLR telling me about wireless CarPlay being available with the latest 3.0 update, I began to investigate when to expect the update (it is a phased rollout apparently--no idea why) and also what version of software my car is running. The vehicle in question in a 2020 110 that I bought in October '20 and it seems to be running version 2.0.3 last installed in December 2020. I understand that before upgrading to 3.0, you have to be already running 2.1.6 or 2.1.7. I seem to vaguely recall the car asking for an update at some point that never seemed to successfully download but I'm not entirely sure of this. Why is my car so many versions behind? And how do I 'force' an update so to speak?

This is especially annoying as my wife took the car to the dealer to have one of Land Rover's sweet auto cracking windshields replaced (which JLR refused to warranty despite zero evidence of any impact and an experienced glass tech stating the same) and while there I had the vehicle serviced and requested that it be updated to the latest software version as the PiviPro is glitchy at times. They clearly decided to disregard this request but did manage to chip the paint on my driver's door and break part of the windshield trim for me, so that was a nice bonus.

edit: correction, I am running 2.1.3

How do I get this stupid car to update? Wireless CarPlay might just save this hunk of garbage from being sold to CarMax. Maybe.

Last edited by CombatNinja; 11-25-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 308 Likes on 171 Posts

Do you have the basics covered?

Edit - ignore this, looks like it was all wrong.

* Parked outside with clear view of the sky? (though on this last one I was amazed it did update in the garage).

* All windows rolled up and locked?

Last edited by Kev M; 11-25-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Rock Crawling

I have to have the car locked to even have it ask me to update? This might sound weird but I hardly ever lock my car. It sits in my garage overnight and I work on a secure compound within a military base so locking my car is not really necessary. That said, it gets locked sometimes when outside so that should not be my issue. Or are you referring to the procedure for getting the update to download once you tell the car to 'update'?

Last edited by CombatNinja; 11-25-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:42 AM
Mudding
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
I have to have the car locked to even have it ask me to update? This might sound weird but I hardly ever lock my car. It sits in my garage overnight and I work on a secure compound within a military base so locking my car is not really necessary. That said, it gets locked sometimes when outside so that should no be my issue. Or are you referring to the procedure for getting the update to download once you tell the car to 'update'?
The download occurs automatically - no requirement to have the vehicle locked for that to happen. You only get the request to allow the update after the download has happened - then you need to lock the vehicle for the actual update to take place, as instructed on the screen. And there is no requirement for it to be outside for the update to complete.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Muppetry
The download occurs automatically - no requirement to have the vehicle locked for that to happen. You only get the request to allow the update after the download has happened - then you need to lock the vehicle for the actual update to take place, as instructed on the screen. And there is no requirement for it to be outside for the update to complete.

Well ****, I either didn't understand the threads I skimmed or something is funny.

My bad if I completely misunderstood.

THAT SAID in the past my wife said updates/downloads failed when they failed when it was in the garage garage. Of course we're in a area where cell service drops out and the satellite radio is usually blocked in our garage as well

Plus, and this is the weird thing, when new the update was coming soon we parked it in the garage and locked it. Next morning the update was done, not just the download, but the whole update. It never asked anything about it. We went to bed with 2.1.6 or something like that and woke up with 3.0 installed and carplay ready to go.

< shrugs >

Old 11-25-2021, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling

So any ideas why my car is so many versions behind and never updates? I would assume that if the car is multiple versions behind that as soon as conditions were met (ie, locked, windows up and outside with clear signal), it would prompt an update.

Last edited by CombatNinja; 11-25-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:45 PM
Rock Crawling

I probably confused my l myself skimming this

https://landroverforums.com/forum/20...e4/#post799860

Post 40 might help op though

Old 11-25-2021, 10:59 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Kev M
Well ****, I either didn't understand the threads I skimmed or something is funny.

My bad if I completely misunderstood.

THAT SAID in the past my wife said updates/downloads failed when they failed when it was in the garage garage. Of course we're in a area where cell service drops out and the satellite radio is usually blocked in our garage as well

Plus, and this is the weird thing, when new the update was coming soon we parked it in the garage and locked it. Next morning the update was done, not just the download, but the whole update. It never asked anything about it. We went to bed with 2.1.6 or something like that and woke up with 3.0 installed and carplay ready to go.

< shrugs >
3.0 requires permission to install - I cannot see how it could have happened without that being granted.

It doesn't require any kind of satellite reception to download or to install - the download is either via the cellular network or wifi, and it also apparently needs one of the those active during the installation process. The only satellite connectivity is GNSS reception for location and satellite streaming services such as SiriusXM.

Old 11-25-2021, 11:03 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
So any ideas why my car is so many versions behind and never updates? I would assume that if the car is multiple versions behind that as soon as conditions were met (ie, locked, windows up and outside with clear signal), it would prompt an update.
Various factors have been suggested as preventing updates, but mostly relating to downloaded updates failing to install. If you are on 2.1.3 with no message regarding 3.0 being available then you may simply not have arrived at the front of the queue yet.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Muppetry
3.0 requires permission to install - I cannot see how it could have happened without that being granted.

It doesn't require any kind of satellite reception to download or to install - the download is either via the cellular network or wifi, and it also apparently needs one of the those active during the installation process. The only satellite connectivity is GNSS reception for location and satellite streaming services such as SiriusXM.
Ok so talking to the wife about this. In the past, when she'd shut the car down it would occasionally ask her if she wanted to install the latest update or schedule it to install.

She says it would then tell her to make sure the windows were up and the doors locked (that's where I must have got that in my head).

I asked her if she got that this time with the 3.0 update and she said no. But ironically I had pulled it in the garage last (I didn't see it either) and closed/locked the doors (hoping we would get the update and believing that was necessary) and when I went to check the next morning 3.0 was installed and there was a long screen talking about the features.

But I don't remember it asking for permission or to install in any way because I immediately tested the Apple Carplay and Android auto.
To the op, did you read that thread I linked. There were quotes from a JLR engineer about the updates. I forget if it was him or someone else who said you had to have either 2.1.6 or 2.1.7 before it would update to 3.0.

Any chance you've got bad cell reception there and that's keeping you from it?

Last edited by Kev M; 11-26-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Why won't my Defender's software update?