2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't my Defender's software update?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2022 | 09:58 PM
Mudding

JLR is already working on taking things to the next level with feature and OTA updates.

https://europe.autonews.com/automake...hicle-software

Old 02-18-2022 | 06:44 AM
|
Rock Crawling

The Insider, appreciate the sincere help. The car is set up properly to receive updates, I've checked this at least 50 times. It claims it is "Up to date" in the settings menu and was last updated in December 2020. AT&T data is a little weak in my area but I can update my phone with it, albeit slowly. The real problem is the dealer. I was deployed in the fall and was blessed to have one of the patented "Self-Breaking Windshields", my wife dropped the car off at the dealer for repair and a variety of items to address to include a software update. They declined to update the car and told her that they cannot 'push' and update to a car. Sounded made up to me. They also did me the favor of chipping the paint on my door edge so I decided to not hand the car to them anymore than I have to. Wireless CarPlay would be great but I am no willing to go through the aggravation of the dealership service experience to get it. Life is too short to stress myself out.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022 | 07:18 PM
Mudding

FWIW the 3.0 update was pushed to mine on Feb 10.

Old 02-18-2022 | 08:24 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by zac431
FWIW the 3.0 update was pushed to mine on Feb 10.
Ditto that. As I diligently checked each day to learn of the 3.0 update, I made sure to follow all the instructions. Windows up, doors locked, connectivity on, etc., only to wonder the same as others do. Why am I not getting the update? Whatever fickle system JLR uses to distribute their OTA updates is beyond understanding. But after 2 months, bang! there it was. The long sought after message, ‘Software update 3.0 installed’, finally appeared. So, if you are following all of the directives from JLR, patience will prevail.

Old 02-18-2022 | 11:31 PM
LR Forum Vendor

If you’re in SoCal we can do the updates... www.jlractive.com

Old 02-19-2022 | 08:38 AM
|
Rock Crawling

Oh great. Two dudes doing bootleg updates have figured out what actual Land Rover dealerships cannot. I think after two Land rovers in a row now, I'm done with the ownership 'experience'. Probably going to jump ship to another brand as my daily.

Old 02-19-2022 | 11:25 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by CombatNinja
Oh great. Two dudes doing bootleg updates have figured out what actual Land Rover dealerships cannot. I think after two Land rovers in a row now, I'm done with the ownership 'experience'. Probably going to jump ship to another brand as my daily.
How many dealerships have you gone to? I have heard people getting the update pushed from a dealer, so it might be more related to your experience unfortunately.

Old 02-19-2022 | 12:33 PM
|
Rock Crawling

The car has been back to the selling dealer only once since I bought it. I am active duty military in a high 'op tempo' unit. I live a couple of hours from the dealer, I don't have the bandwidth to mess around with it. I requested a software update since my car was woefully out of date. If that is too complicated, I'm not wasting my time talking to them anymore.

COBoarder (10-04-2023)
Old 06-30-2022 | 03:06 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Update on this: car is at the dealer getting the windshield replaced (again). After having it for 11 days and me having to track them down to find out the status, I'm told I can pick it up tomorrow. They also gave me some BS story again about not being able to push an update and the car is 'up to date'. Service writer is not knowledgeable about updates and thinks I am making up a story about wireless CarPlay being on OTA update. He also relayed some bullshizz from the' shop foreman' about Pivi vs. PiviPro that was not relevant. Absolute incompetence. The best line was the service writer telling me that it is impossible for my telematics module to be non-functional as the car would not start. Please.

The Insider, you still on these boards? I think my shop needs some encouragement.

Last edited by CombatNinja; 06-30-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2022 | 11:25 AM
Rock Crawling

I just can't imagine accepting this. I would make them show me the latest SW loaded on the JLR workshop system, show what the latest SW is available and tell them if they don't match they haven't done their job. Sometimes you need to hold hands with these morons.

MattF (07-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Why won't my Defender's software update?