Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Price Gouging

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
WOW!!! Mudflaps for $1995. I could get filthy rich just selling and installing mudflaps. Bought mine for around $80 a pair, took roughly an hour per axle to install. I would be generous and gracious and cut that price in half, installed for a cool grand. I would install them in a tuxedo, while pouring Dom Perignon for the customer while they watch, and do cartwheels all the way to the bank. Find me the person who would pay $1995 for those listed and give them my info. Phone lines are open, operators standing by.
I just saw this, wtf hahahah

Old 08-14-2022, 05:59 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Ntaimanglo
I’m in the same boat in Seattle. Also being patient, but it’s either dealer add-ons or the 10k adjustment. Also called Portland and got the same response. I’m open to out of state if it’s possible
As far as I know, as of now (and recently imposed by LR), if you live in a "protected zone", ie a zip code where you have a LR dealer near you, other dealers won't sell new to you. I live in NE Ohio, and am stuck with choosing 1 of 3 dealers for a new vehicle purchase, even though I leased a new LR out of state last year. Even dealers near me in PA or dealers in Columbus or Cincinnati won't sell to me. There may be a workaround where a very high volume dealer will sell to you out of state, but I believe it's unlikely (something about a dealer has to sell a certain percentage of new vehicles to their local area only, and expect markup if that's the case). This whole "protected zone" policy may or may not change in the future though. Any new updates from others is appreciated.

Whatever you do, don't pay mark-up.

Edit: Another work-around is having a residence or business in that dealer's area, ie you have permanent residence in Cleveland and live there but you have your business based in NYC. Caveat is of course, the new LR has to be registered in that NYC zip code to buy/lease from that dealer in that area and of course you have to have proof of that business' address, don't believe a P.O. Box or equivalent would work as far as I know.

Last edited by Royalist; 08-14-2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist

Edit: Another work-around is having a residence or business in that dealer's area, ie you have permanent residence in Cleveland and live there but you have your business based in NYC. Caveat is of course, the new LR has to be registered in that NYC zip code to buy/lease from that dealer in that area and of course you have to have proof of that business' address, don't believe a P.O. Box or equivalent would work as far as I know.

I did this recently... Live in Mass... Boston dealers wanted $15%+ over MSRP on an X... Asked about the v8... Selling for $50k+ over MSRP... from a dealer that I'd bought a Defender from 2 years earlier.. Umm no. I have an apartment in NJ as well, and bought a v8 from a dealer in NY that was reasonable. Still registered the car in Mass. This US dealer network is nonsense--sell direct to consumers. Dealers off little to no value.

The following 3 users liked this post by sna77:
GrouseK9 (08-15-2022), jusmax88 (08-14-2022), Royalist (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sna77
I did this recently... Live in Mass... Boston dealers wanted $15%+ over MSRP on an X... Asked about the v8... Selling for $50k+ over MSRP... from a dealer that I'd bought a Defender from 2 years earlier.. Umm no. I have an apartment in NJ as well, and bought a v8 from a dealer in NY that was reasonable. Still registered the car in Mass. This US dealer network is nonsense--sell direct to consumers. Dealers off little to no value.
I like my dealer, LR of Akron, 2 really nice people I've been working with. But yeah, If I could buy a new LR like I could a Tesla, I would certainly go that route.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Thankfully, electric cars will likely bring an end to dealerships.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,244 Likes on 741 Posts

I have a love hate with my Dealer (Austin). The one service I did wasn't an emergency, but the entire process was VERY professionally done. Also, the purchase was grand except for the supply hassles (which I don't blame them for) but they did F$%# up my order (which I do blame them for) and didn't re-add the eDiff when the supply problem caused a MY shift. That could have been because of a change in SA's or because JLR was heavy handed. Don't care, still bitter....<g>

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Royalist
I like my dealer, LR of Akron, 2 really nice people I've been working with. But yeah, If I could buy a new LR like I could a Tesla, I would certainly go that route.
I had a really nice relationship with the people at the LR dealer in Boston... I even went back to them 2 years after I'd ordered a vehicle to order another one... We spent a week configuring it, looking at options etc... Then at the final stage they sent me something with a 15% markup on an X... I politely replied via email that I didn't think that was reasonable... Never heard from them again...

The following users liked this post:
Royalist (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:59 AM
Rock Crawling

I had a really nice relationship with the people at the LR dealer in Boston... I even went back to them 2 years after I'd ordered a vehicle to order another one... We spent a week configuring it, looking at options etc... Then at the final stage they sent me something with a 15% markup on an X... I politely replied via email that I didn't think that was reasonable... Never heard from them again...
Yeah I dealt a lot with LR Boston. Last year they had the most perfect spec 90 that I fell in love with. Base model and cloth seats, Black with a White Top and White Steelies, but the street tires, and with the 11.4 inch screen. It was so unique, and only $52k new. Anyways, told me it was sold. I kept inquiring until I got my own 90. Then I re-inquired months later and they now had a sub $60k 110 with like $10-15k markup (what's the point), last I heard, they wouldn't even sell to me cuz of the geographic restrictions.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 245 Likes on 131 Posts

For reference -

Wheel Arch Protection installed at port/factory are $850.

Mudflaps, aka the Exterior Protection Pack are $350.

These are on my order, believe they are either factory/port installed.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:33 PM
Mudding
Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekkie
For reference -

Wheel Arch Protection installed at port/factory are $850.

Mudflaps, aka the Exterior Protection Pack are $350.

These are on my order, believe they are either factory/port installed.
Did your wheel arch protection come with a pack or it was a standalone option? My order has been submitted to the dealer but not built yet so I would like to add if possible as standalone

Quick Reply: Wild Price Gouging