Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Recovery Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Winter Recovery Kits

Our first snow fall of the year and it's got me thinking about what to add. What's everyone putting in their winter recovery kits? Anything new we should all be doing or adding? I also need a recommendation on a rope/strap as I lent mine out and never got it back...kinetic or static for snow recovery?

Old 10-24-2023, 07:15 AM
Drifting
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Finite
Our first snow fall of the year and it's got me thinking about what to add. What's everyone putting in their winter recovery kits? Anything new we should all be doing or adding? I also need a recommendation on a rope/strap as I lent mine out and never got it back...kinetic or static for snow recovery?
Kinetic, Matt’s recovery strap

Old 10-24-2023, 05:11 PM
TSY
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fysa: Yankum ropes makes Matt's ropes / worth a look at some of their pre-configured options.

https://yankum.com/products/suv-off-...42034175803598

Old 10-24-2023, 05:14 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What size rope are you all using? I'm thinking the weekender will be plenty.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:33 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The biggest help in snow is airing down. I guess you can do that with the 18's, but if you have 22's then I don't know.

Kinetic straps are certainly more effective for recovery, but they're a lot riskier for damage and injury than other methods and they depend on other vehicles. A static strap works best for winching, not towing. If you have a winch, then a static "tree-strap" is an essential item, otherwise it is not. The virtue of winches depends on the environment since you need ready anchors. If you have other vehicles in attendance, then a recovery strap is a lot simpler solution. Winches work better when solo.

Solo in the snow, the thing I'd want next to tires that I can air-down is a decent shovel. This will be different than a dirt/rock shovel. A good dirt/rock shovel will be pointed with a small steel spade. A snow shovel should be aluminum with a larger payload. The big grain scoops jobs are ideal but given space constraints, I'd suggest a backcountry ski shovel. Avoid collapsing, folding, and telescopic features unless you're willing to pay $$ for it to be done correctly. Get a shovel that has been proven by people that depend on them. If you have able passengers, get additional shovels.

Some people carry the Maxtrax or other recovery boards. I've seen them work, but I can't recommend them from personal experience simply because I've never used them. I don't really care to carry them since they take up so much space. In theory, they would be very practical in snow and winter recovery conditions.

Driver skill is essential and more important than kit. It's easy to say "get skill" but not as simple to answer how. I gained some skill on winter trail runs with 4x4 groups, driving mountains in axle-deep snow. Together, we did things I wouldn't risk on my own. I could get in way over my head knowing I had others to help recover. It wasn't a license to do stupid stuff -- the group's patience would wear thin -- but I could definitely follow others through conditions and obstacles that I couldn't in good judgement attempt on my own. When I do go on my own, I have a better idea of where the vehicle's limits are and where I need to keep it given my risk tolerance.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 461 Likes on 232 Posts

Collapsible rescue snow shovel (compact, handle telescopes), Small bag of coarse sand, pint of bleach (bleach makes your tires sticky on ice).

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (11-11-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 10:10 AM
TSY
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Finite
What size rope are you all using? I'm thinking the weekender will be plenty.
I carry the 7/8", which is rated for vehicles 5000-7100 lbs. (this works for my 110 Defender, my curb weight is 5620 lbs (depending on model year) - used it a few times recovering friends cars from high centering in snow. *ymmv, so buy according to your lbs needs.

https://yankum.com/collections/kinet...-recovery-rope

Old 10-25-2023, 01:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2,507 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I'd definitely include a set of recovery boards. I've used mine in deep snow to self recover and to help others.

Old 11-11-2023, 06:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 85 Likes on 40 Posts

Work asked me to talk about what I carry in my car for emergencies and ended up taking this pic which I thought you all might like too.

I should do an updated version as I carry more stuff now including recovery ropes.

The following users liked this post:
GavinC (11-11-2023)