Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   2020 Defender (https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/)
-   -   The (world famous) Defender and Trailer Thread (https://landroverforums.com/forum/2020-defender-60/world-famous-defender-trailer-thread-108497/)

GavinC 10-04-2021 11:04 AM

The (world famous) Defender and Trailer Thread

I've just picked up my D110 SE this past weekend and am excited for all the fun opportunities it will open up. Rougher terrain for hikes and camping and of course hauling stuff.

I plan to rent some camp trailers for weekend trips in the fall and winter and have no experience with hauling.

I'd love to see folks' Defender/trailer setups.

Some questions I have are.
  • How big a load have you hauled.
  • How heavy is not recommended? (personal thoughts in addition to owner manual guides)
  • Are the hitch receivers compatible with safety chains in the USA or are some mods needed?
  • Does the spare interfere with the setup process?
  • Lots of factors I don't know that I don't know
  • Weight distribution and Defender

In short, does this well versed group here have any tips that are relevant to Defenders and towing?

Cool pictures of rigs/camping setups are welcomed and encouraged. I'm here to learn and benefit from folks in the know.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

GrouseK9 10-04-2021 12:56 PM

Great thread topic! Haven't towed with my Defender yet, but interested in what comes up. BTW - I always recommend renting as many campers/RV's as possible before buying one. Too many people buy things that don't work well for them without the prior experience. In fact, I think most folks should rent a LOT more and different types until they have dialed in what works for them. And, you might even get some dings on a rental instead of your own as you learn where the edges are!

For the third bullet, yes they are compatible with the US specs. You need to hook them into some sort of attachment point. Usually they are on either side of the receiver. Check that box that with the Defender. However, watch how your trailer's hooks are set up because often they aren't "universal". Also, you could always hook them to the tow hooks on back if they are spec'd on your build and long enough! So, while they are there, it "depends". Make sure that the hooks are big enough/small enough to fit.

Start here and he even starts with my FAVORITE George Carlin joke....

ADVAW8S 10-04-2021 02:34 PM

Welcome to the club. I have towed once with a P300. I wouldn't tow more than 5k on the smaller engine. I had the tow package from the start and it worked brilliantly. I had no problem with the chains connecting to the hitch but it is a tight fit. I do believe some people have put carabiners as a solution. We rented a Rpod from a guy in Redmond. I had to remove the spare tire to get the full turning radius. I ended up lashing it on the roof. I have a collapsible ladder and I just rolled it up. took some effort but I got the job done. when it was time to take it off, I let it roll off into our backyard.

Look forward to seeing you driving around the neighborhood.

GavinC 10-04-2021 02:35 PM

Thanks for the video link Grouse. A good starting point.

I don't have the rear tow loop on my SE. Plan on adding them. I hope the rear bumper removal is not too much complicated by the receiver.

The loops on the receiver for safety chains have a much narrower dimension than the receiver on my last car. More metal, less hole. I watched a video of towing where he had to use the recovery eyes for that reason. I figure there is a more routine approach not requiring the recovery eyes.

GavinC 10-04-2021 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S (Post 794746)
Welcome to the club. I have towed once with a P300. I wouldn't tow more than 5k on the smaller engine. I had the tow package from the start and it worked brilliantly. I had no problem with the chains connecting to the hitch but it is a tight fit. I do believe some people have put carabiners as a solution. We rented a Rpod from a guy in Redmond. I had to remove the spare tire to get the full turning radius. I ended up lashing it on the roof. I have a collapsible ladder and I just rolled it up. took some effort but I got the job done. when it was time to take it off, I let it roll off into our backyard.

Look forward to seeing you driving around the neighborhood.

Good info. That's the sort of size trailer I'm looking to rent. I don't want anything too enormous. Razor Clam season is here and I'm thinking a weekend trip south with some beach driving would be fun. Early morning tides/digs so making a weekend of it might be fun with a trailer.

Yes, it's great to finally have the new ride. Came right on schedule. I'm spotting a few Defenders around Kirkland but not your Blue one with the 18" and off road gear. I've instructed my kids to keep an eye out and have been practicing my "Defender-wave" in earnest.

MNDefender 10-04-2021 09:08 PM

I have a little over 10k miles on my MY’21 XD P400, much of it has been pulling around a 6k+ lbs boat or a 5.5k lbs travel trailer. Been trouble free other than issues with travel trailer lights not always working. Still troubleshooting it, will see this weekend if I fixed it. Always get stable.

We had a similar issue with the spare hitting the jack on the trailer. We ended up buying a longer draw bar, 11in pin to center of ball, and removing the electric jack and replacing with a side mount one on the trailer. We also don’t use a mechanical sway control, JLR recommends against it - we’ve been using an electric one from Hayes and can confirm it works as advertised.

The safety chain loops on the hitch were too small for the safety chain hooks on our boat so had to buy some carabiners to make the connection.

We pulled the travel trailer on a 5k mile road trip through the mountains trouble free (other than picking up a nail in the right front tire) loaded with a family of 4 and a 60 lbs dog. No issues other than horrendous gas mileage. I probably averaged 7-8mpg on the trip.

Draw Bar
-
Carabiner
- Troy Spidergard SPSC001(1) Steel...
Sway Control
- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hayes-Sway-Master-Electronic-Sway-Control-81775/312242708

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...da5a8a7fd.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...bd63a5c18.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...0f7792336.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...b4fca3821.jpeg

GavinC 10-04-2021 11:03 PM

@MNDefender

Great Info.

Thanks for the links and pictures.

ADVAW8S 10-05-2021 12:16 PM

So you saw my post. I was trying my best Ted Lasso impersonation and trying to create a community in our neighborhood. There has been a uptick in waves but still get looks from people like do I know you. or why are you waving at me.

Right now, all I have on is the roof rack and with the pine needles coming down as fast as rain, the defender is being parked in the garage. We will have to get something together for a trip into the mountains before the snow hits.

We were at Long Beach two weeks ago for some beach action. Stayed away from the saltwater and it was a beast through the soft sand. Try Boundless RV. That is who we rented from and he owns 5 campers that he rents. This is his only job, so he is extra focused on quality and attention to detail.

GavinC 10-05-2021 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ADVAW8S (Post 794887)
So you saw my post. I was trying my best Ted Lasso impersonation and trying to create a community in our neighborhood. There has been a uptick in waves but still get looks from people like do I know you. or why are you waving at me.

Right now, all I have on is the roof rack and with the pine needles coming down as fast as rain, the defender is being parked in the garage. We will have to get something together for a trip into the mountains before the snow hits.

We were at Long Beach two weeks ago for some beach action. Stayed away from the saltwater and it was a beast through the soft sand. Try Boundless RV. That is who we rented from and he owns 5 campers that he rents. This is his only job, so he is extra focused on quality and attention to detail.

Great info. Thanks a million.

Yeah I've not had a chance to use the wave yet. Still working on the timing. I'll shoot you my info in the message section. Looks like Stevens and even Snoqualmie might get a dusting this week.

Pipeline81 04-03-2022 02:14 PM

Forgive my ignorance, how do you manage the additional distance (pin to ball) from the max 6.9 inches on the manual? I currently have an long shank for my AS Basecamp but it is a lot lighter and only 300lbs tongue weight. Upgrading in a few months so now that long shank probably won’t work as I’m closer to 500lbs with the new one. Looking at my options other than removing the wheel each time.