Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapping Brake Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Wrapping Brake Calipers?

So I wanted a P400 X but had to settle with a X- Dynamic because of supply issues. I really don't like the bland brake calipers that came with it and I'm hearing painting the calipers can void warranty/is a huge process. Have any of you got your calipers wrapped? I'm hearing its less invasive and easier to do. Curious how they hold up.

Old 07-01-2023, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Received 305 Likes on 96 Posts

Sure do it... seriously.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ronin Defender:
DakotaTravler (07-02-2023), WTFChuck (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 03:17 PM
Winching
Received 451 Likes on 214 Posts

Yes do it, it won't melt downhill..😀

The following 2 users liked this post by Defendit..:
DakotaTravler (07-02-2023), Ronin Defender (07-01-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 10:10 AM
Mudding
Received 99 Likes on 43 Posts

I didn't reply initially because I don't have first or even second hand knowledge to answer your question.

It doesn't seem that the other responses are particularly helpful.

I don't find caliper painting to be particularly difficult, it's just time consuming to do the job well. That's the route I would tend to go.

I did find this in a quick search: https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Caliper-Wraps

It's a 3M product for high temp environments and is specifically marketed for calipers so it might be worth a shot. Standard wrap material, just like standard paint, is not going to do well in a high heat application.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyAK (07-06-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 10:45 AM
Winching
Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

Curious how this turns out, I’m thinking of wrapping my lug nuts. They’re waaay too boring in their present design.

The following 2 users liked this post by WTFChuck:
DakotaTravler (07-02-2023), Ronin Defender (07-02-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 07:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Ronin Defender
Sure do it... seriously.
Originally Posted by Defendit..
Yes do it, it won't melt downhill..😀
someone better hurry up and tell 3m to stop producing this vinyl asap!
Amazon Amazon

also tell these guys to take off their 3+ year old wrapped calipers before they melt!

Originally Posted by Husky44
I didn't reply initially because I don't have first or even second hand knowledge to answer your question.

It doesn't seem that the other responses are particularly helpful.

I don't find caliper painting to be particularly difficult, it's just time consuming to do the job well. That's the route I would tend to go.

I did find this in a quick search: https://www.rvinyl.com/3M-Caliper-Wraps

It's a 3M product for high temp environments and is specifically marketed for calipers so it might be worth a shot. Standard wrap material, just like standard paint, is not going to do well in a high heat application.

Yes I was looking into that wrap, but now I'm just going to paint them. The videos make it seem easy enough

Originally Posted by WTFChuck
Curious how this turns out, I’m thinking of wrapping my lug nuts. They’re waaay too boring in their present design.
Yea because brake calipers are comparable to lug nuts. Brake calipers are not some mundane random part on a vehicle that doesn't catch the eye. They come painted for a reason. Its not crazy to think painted ones look better.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,253 Likes on 672 Posts

Yeah, this stuff looks great after 2 years, hahaha. I would downvote "wrapping brake calipers" as one of the more tacky and hacky cheap modifications anyone might do to any car.

If color is an issue, either buy new ones from JLR (they're out there, and they're on Ebay) or have them painted. I've had a set of Porsche brake calipers painted on a car years ago. (well technically re-painted as they were faded and chipped). But -- buyer beware. You will want to pay a good amount (!!) and have them done *BY A GOOD PLACE* that specializes in brake caliper painting (online lots of options for high end vehicles), and do them *OFF THE CAR* and disconnected from hydraulics properly. Then, it'll be as good as factory on your Brembos etc. However, you're spending a period of time with 4 wheels off your car, parked so if your primary vehicle, it's a bit impractical. Fine for the vintage Porsche or whatever.

If you rattle can and tape job them DIY on the car, it's going to look bad and not last. That's kind of teenager with a first car territory, isn't it?

The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
Ronin Defender (07-05-2023), WTFChuck (07-06-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 11:40 PM
Mudding
Received 305 Likes on 96 Posts

To be honest I have no idea what color they are on any of my cars maybe because I can't see them while driving.

The following users liked this post:
WTFChuck (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by nashvegas
Yeah, this stuff looks great after 2 years, hahaha. I would downvote "wrapping brake calipers" as one of the more tacky and hacky cheap modifications anyone might do to any car.

If color is an issue, either buy new ones from JLR (they're out there, and they're on Ebay) or have them painted. I've had a set of Porsche brake calipers painted on a car years ago. (well technically re-painted as they were faded and chipped). But -- buyer beware. You will want to pay a good amount (!!) and have them done *BY A GOOD PLACE* that specializes in brake caliper painting (online lots of options for high end vehicles), and do them *OFF THE CAR* and disconnected from hydraulics properly. Then, it'll be as good as factory on your Brembos etc. However, you're spending a period of time with 4 wheels off your car, parked so if your primary vehicle, it's a bit impractical. Fine for the vintage Porsche or whatever.

If you rattle can and tape job them DIY on the car, it's going to look bad and not last. That's kind of teenager with a first car territory, isn't it?
TBF he said the first wrap he did was a bad job and those still lasted 2 years and were peeled off easily. Second one he did was with a better wrap and they looked good and confirmed still looking great 2 years later so there's that.. but anyway I get what you're saying about the teenager first car mod. I paid 100k for the vehicle I might as well get it done professionally. Only reason I even considered it was because even if it did look like ****, it would be easily reversable.