Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yakima Towers to fit Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 01:21 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yakima Towers to fit Defender?

I have some Yakima crossbars from my old 4runner that I was planning on putting on the new Defender (just got my 2022 P300S today!). Didn't want to go full roof rack as all I really carry is my kayak and may do a roof tent some day. Am I correct in seeing that Yakima does not have a tower solution to fit the Defender? Or is that just a buggy website that hasn't been updated on their part?

Hard to imagine the Defender roof rail design being so unique that Ridgeline or Skyline towers wouldn't fit. Anyone tried it? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:24 PM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXdefender
I have some Yakima crossbars from my old 4runner that I was planning on putting on the new Defender (just got my 2022 P300S today!). Didn't want to go full roof rack as all I really carry is my kayak and may do a roof tent some day. Am I correct in seeing that Yakima does not have a tower solution to fit the Defender? Or is that just a buggy website that hasn't been updated on their part?

Hard to imagine the Defender roof rail design being so unique that Ridgeline or Skyline towers wouldn't fit. Anyone tried it? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.
I spoke with Yakima customer support and offered to take dimensions for them to determine which of their products would fit the 110. Their response was that they really need to have their fit team physically inspect the factory rails to identify product fit.

They also stated that if someone was to bring one in for a fit check they'd provide a free rack system as compensation. Unfortunately, I won't be in Oregon with my Defender any time soon.

I've been researching and think I have a good idea which products will work to fit the defender but haven't made time to confirm/check. I may try to do so with a local outfitter here in Knoxville.

Old 06-27-2021, 08:56 PM
Winching
Received 246 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ryane26vt
I spoke with Yakima customer support and offered to take dimensions for them to determine which of their products would fit the 110. Their response was that they really need to have their fit team physically inspect the factory rails to identify product fit.

They also stated that if someone was to bring one in for a fit check they'd provide a free rack system as compensation. Unfortunately, I won't be in Oregon with my Defender any time soon.

I've been researching and think I have a good idea which products will work to fit the defender but haven't made time to confirm/check. I may try to do so with a local outfitter here in Knoxville.
I live about 15 minutes from their headquarters and would do that! Unfortunately my defender is still 4 months out after a 5 month wait....

Old 06-28-2021, 09:35 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be a sweet deal if someone doesn't beat you to it, Moretti! I won't be anywhere near Oregon either so I'm out.

And thanks for the legwork ryane. Let us know if you have any success with the local outfitter and if so, what they come up with. I may try the same in Austin but it's not at the top of my priority list.

Old 06-29-2021, 05:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXdefender
Would be a sweet deal if someone doesn't beat you to it, Moretti! I won't be anywhere near Oregon either so I'm out.

And thanks for the legwork ryane. Let us know if you have any success with the local outfitter and if so, what they come up with. I may try the same in Austin but it's not at the top of my priority list.
Same - right now we can just use the GF's Subie to haul kayaks so it isn't critical that I get racks on top of the Defender.

Will update the thread with what I learn in the next few weeks!

Old 03-01-2023, 09:39 PM
Drifting
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Bump looking for any updated info people may have on Yakima landing pads that fit the OEM rails.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 397 Likes on 201 Posts

What you need is the Thule 3040 fit kit and 7531 Fixpoint Foot, which you need two kits for that item. You can fit the Thule aerobars to those, what I use. They are for the Defender Factory rail. Those items are available from some sources, but I found them cheapest at Bikein.

Old 03-02-2023, 04:41 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by notourist
in this video. The person shows what Yakima parts he used for his setup

Youtube
thanks. I had come across this video before but I noticed that the parts he uses aren't in full contact with the rail from either below or above. I suspect this limits how much you could safely load by some unknown factor below what Yakima advertises. He's really just grabbing the inner lip of the rail.

Old 03-02-2023, 04:45 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dogpilot
What you need is the Thule 3040 fit kit and 7531 Fixpoint Foot, which you need two kits for that item. You can fit the Thule aerobars to those, what I use. They are for the Defender Factory rail. Those items are available from some sources, but I found them cheapest at Bikein.
do you have to remove screws from the rail itself to mount these, or can they go anywhere on the rail?

Old 03-02-2023, 04:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 397 Likes on 201 Posts

They fit into the track and slide to any position you want, just not the larger slots you insert the locking plates into the rails. They use square metal plates with a threaded hole you insert in the large slot and move them to where you want and tighten down to lock them in place.

The following users liked this post:
Nati (03-02-2023)