4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Fun times at Broken Arrow, Sedona, AZ 11/29/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fun times at Broken Arrow, Sedona, AZ 11/29/14

Trip Date: 11/28/14

So, I took my Rover out on my first official off road adventure since I bought it. We decided to hit Broken Arrow in Sedona, AZ. Had a great time, and got to learn a few things as we're driving around. Finally was able to test out the locking diffs, which worked perfectly. I had to pull out the manual because I wasn't familiar with the spun up diff light.
I'm still pretty new to off roading, so I was taking it slow. My confidence level is still pretty low, though. I reached my limit when I came up to Devil's Staircase. I'm pretty sure I could have conquered it, but I chickened out and turned around. Of course, the trail is one way, so as I was heading back, a convoy of Pink Jeeps were heading my way. I had to back up until I could find a turn out. They passed, and back up the hill I went. I got to a ledge I had to climb, and it turned out to be the toughest part of the day for me. After a few tries, I made it over. BUT, in the process, I sliced the sidewall of one of my brand new tires. So, off with the damaged tire, and on with the spare.
After that, I was a little bummed. I decided that the day was done. It was time to head out and grab a late lunch before heading up to Flagstaff for the night.

On the way out, a nice convoy of Land Rovers enters the trail. I had to pull off to the side to let them all by. Must have been a club or meet up group. A few nice Rovers. If any of you are on here, I was the black DII all covered in Sedona Red dirt.

Also, a shout out to Abran, for answering my text after my M&S lights started flashing while I was stuck in traffic at the Cajon Pass trying to get home. Ended up being a crapped out battery.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCMike

So, I took my Rover out on my first official off road adventure since I bought it. We decided to hit Broken Arrow in Sedona, AZ. Had a great time, and got to learn a few things as we're driving around. Finally was able to test out the locking diffs, which worked perfectly. I had to pull out the manual because I wasn't familiar with the spun up diff light.
I'm still pretty new to off roading, so I was taking it slow. My confidence level is still pretty low, though. I reached my limit when I came up to Devil's Staircase. I'm pretty sure I could have conquered it, but I chickened out and turned around. Of course, the trail is one way, so as I was heading back, a convoy of Pink Jeeps were heading my way. I had to back up until I could find a turn out. They passed, and back up the hill I went. I got to a ledge I had to climb, and it turned out to be the toughest part of the day for me. After a few tries, I made it over. BUT, in the process, I sliced the sidewall of one of my brand new tires. So, off with the damaged tire, and on with the spare.
After that, I was a little bummed. I decided that the day was done. It was time to head out and grab a late lunch before heading up to Flagstaff for the night.

On the way out, a nice convoy of Land Rovers enters the trail. I had to pull off to the side to let them all by. Must have been a club or meet up group. A few nice Rovers. If any of you are on here, I was the black DII all covered in Sedona Red dirt.

Also, a shout out to Abran, for answering my text after my M&S lights started flashing while I was stuck in traffic at the Cajon Pass trying to get home. Ended up being a crapped out battery.
Where are the pictures???? Unless you post some pictures all of this never happened. This is 2014 and so therefore we need visual proof. Besides that some of us just plain are hankering to see some desert beauty and a Landy.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Roverrocks
Where are the pictures???? Unless you post some pictures all of this never happened. This is 2014 and so therefore we need visual proof. Besides that some of us just plain are hankering to see some desert beauty and a Landy.
I'm getting to it. I've been INCREDIBLY busy packing and shipping out toy orders since Sunday. I'll see if I can get some posted tonight.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Mudding

Ok. Here's a link to my Flickr Album. I am still waiting for my wife to move all of the photos she took with her camera. I'll update it again later tonight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/713757...7649587973391/

Old 12-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You should try to hook up with a group next time. Spotters and people with a little experience can save you lots of parts and damage.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCMike

There is a group that I just joined but have yet to do any trail rides with. Like you I'm pretty new to off-roading as well.

Look up azlro.com they have lots of pics from rides, upcoming rides including Sedona. Seems like a pretty cool group from what I've seen.

Last edited by Broncofan1724; 12-14-2014 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OCMike (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Broncofan1724
There is a group that I just joined but have yet to do any trail rides with. Like you I'm pretty new to off-roading as well.

Look up azlro.com they have lots of pics from rides, upcoming rides including Sedona. Seems like a pretty cool group from what I've seen.
I think that's the group I saw entering Broken Arrow as we were leaving. I'd definitely join up if we lived in Arizona. Gotta see if there is a group like that here in Cali.