4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Canyon

We were in the Grand Canyon this weekeknd and it started to snow Saturday morning and snowed most of the day on and off. While we were visiting the Desert View area near the east entrance a bunch of idiots in their rental cars decided to play bumper cars on the compacted snow and ice.

Needless to say they closed the rim road which would have allowed us a 15 mile drive back to the lodge instead we were directed on a 200 mile bypass through Flagstaff. Almost to Flagstaff the GPS directed us to a fireroad over to highway 180. Its a good thing we were driving the Disco. It was a little rough at first, then opened up to some of the best high country driving on fresh snow.

I have heard of GPS sending people in crazy directions now I believe it!

I posted some pictures in the photo gallery, even ran into a dog sled team training.

Oh and the Grand Canyon was pretty good to. 7 hour drive from the house.

Averaged 12 mpg

Last edited by 4x4ron; 02-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Sweet! Looks like a great time! Not sure I would've taken the 200 mile detour option, for what would normally be 15 miles But I guess that gave you a nice adventure and a good story

Looks like that dogsled team leader was suffering from a little wishful thinking....not sure that would qualify as dogsled weather

Like your truck with the LR3 wheels, looks very unique. E

Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, but we had no choice in the matter. The park service closed the road and it was the only direct route to the lodge we were staying at near the south entrance. No where to stay on the east end.

So. King Co., I grew up a few blocks from the hydroplane races on lake washington. One of my nephews is in a 4x4 club (he has a jeep) in Kingston he's a firefighter up there. We are thinking about going up there this summer and going some offroading.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Nice adventure and pictures.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4ron
Thanks, but we had no choice in the matter. The park service closed the road and it was the only direct route to the lodge we were staying at near the south entrance. No where to stay on the east end.

So. King Co., I grew up a few blocks from the hydroplane races on lake washington. One of my nephews is in a 4x4 club (he has a jeep) in Kingston he's a firefighter up there. We are thinking about going up there this summer and going some offroading.
Well, I guess that is quite the detour!

Nice! Small world. If you're going to be up in the area check out nwjeepn.com, lots of good descriptions of trails in the 'area.' Some might be quite a drive, but many are worth it if you're looking to get the full experience. You can also find some areas in the Olympics to get the tires off the pavement, I've only been up there once and didn't have much time to 'explore,' but have heard there are a fair amount of trails tucked in and around those mountains.