4X4 Events and Weekend Outings Post Your Wheeling Pictures and Videos Here!

Old Florida Road: June 15th 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:38 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Old Florida Road: June 15th 2017

WHAT A DAY! My first time participating in a offroad gathering since Winter Romp in 2013. What a blast it was. Think there was 6 of us total. 3 Rovers and 3 Jeeps. Took us roughly 7 hours to complete the trail. The LR3 busted a bolt (Forgot what the part was called) on the rear passenger side axle that made the wheel turn... remarkably against all odds my mechanic friend got it fixed thanks in part to the lot of us who provided tools and a replacement bolt that just so happen to fit perfectly - 1.5 hours ish later and the LR3 was back in the lead overcoming what she could. I was pretty impressed.

I learned alot more during this event than I did during Winter Romp. In my experience the folks at Romp (at least some of them) tend to be asswipes and very unhelpful. Some good folks to. During this event EVERYBODY was a team and everything was organized DAYS before we met up. The owner of the LR3 made up a map with detailed route and time as well as suggestions on where to eat breakfast and dinner. He had spare radios for everyone and everything went smoothly. When someone got stuck (pretty much everyone) everyone chipped in to help, or advise. Great attitude. Everyone was especially patient with me seeing how my truck was the only rig on the trail without front and rear lockers, no winch and no front recovery points - not to mention my lack thereof offroading skills. Most of the trail is traversable even with a moderately modified 4x4, however there are 2 or 3 rock walls to contend and of the 6 rigs on the trail only 1 made it up all 3 without a winch (My mechanic in his Rubicon). His skills on the trails combined with huge tires and lockers allowed him to overcome every obstacle with relative ease, and he was the primary adviser for the rest of us when we got stuck. He is able to read the terrain from 3 vehicles behind and warned everyone about upcoming obstacles that he remembered from previous treks on this trail. Needless to say his attendance with us was critical to a safe sucessful trek through this trail. Without him with us the LR3 would have had to have been left on the trail and we would have had to figure some **** out. Many thanks to Don Trudeau of Anarchy Automotive in North Hampton NH.

My prospective about the Discovery 2 has also completely changed. During Winter Romp we spent most of the event clustered in like sardines on powerline trail. The line was packed all the way back to the road. Sucked. What little trailing I got to do did not convince me of the capabilities of the Disco 2 and I really did not notice the TC working. But during this event I got a real taste of how the TC system works and how to utilize it when negotiating rocks, tree stumps, large drainage pipes, ruts etc. Easy consistent pressure on the accelerator and a little patience and the TC will get you moving forward when possible. Im very impressed with the system, more so when you consider that the truck is 12 years old and has around 169,000 miles on the clock AND the 3 amigos are illuminated on the dash. Regardless the TC worked hard yesterday and now I cannot imagine having a 4x4 without it.

The following users liked this post:
DefenderSISU (02-25-2023)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 PM
TReK
Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 PM
TReK
Old 06-16-2017, 06:02 PM
TReK
Old 06-16-2017, 06:28 PM
TReK
Old 06-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts
Default Where did this event take place?

Looks like a great time. Nice to have someone post up some pictures/videos of an outing. I'm bummed, since the Ohio LR Facebook Group is having an event here in Michigan next month, but l'm unable to participate.

Liked the last picture of the women with her hands on her hips, almost saying..."how long is this going to take". While the guys are like..."hey, this is a good time for a beer and a sandwich".

Thanks, for sharing.

Brian.

TRIARII (06-18-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome outing! glad you all had fun and stayed safe! I really like the roof rack set up you have on the d2. Is your buddy with the other d2 really wheeling with 18in rims? what size tire is that?

Old 06-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The traction control was working with the three amigos lit? That's interesting. The lights mean that the system has detected a fault and has disabled the hill descent, abs and traction control.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
The traction control was working with the three amigos lit? That's interesting. The lights mean that the system has detected a fault and has disabled the hill descent, abs and traction control.
Dealing with the shuttle valve switch failure, despite having replaced svs. From everything Ive gathered here on the forum, I believed as much BUT as is the case so many times with **** you read online.... complete garbage! Least in my case. The TC would make the audible sound it makes when its working and I could feel the wheels spin, stop spinning then pull me forward without any increase in accelerator pressure. I was very impressed with the system to say the least. I still had to be winched 4 times during the 7+ hour trek but it was alot of fun and a learning curve. I feel like the TC works great on rocks and inclines but works terrible in deep snow/ice and on main roads when you hit a patch of ice.... My mechanic confirmed that the 3 amigos does not necessarily mean the TC stops working. The TC also comes on whenever I drive over bumps, uneven main road surfaces and especially in construction zones. I actually find it rather annoying and wish there was a option to turn off/turn on the TC...

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-02-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:10 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Maa45069
Awesome outing! glad you all had fun and stayed safe! I really like the roof rack set up you have on the d2. Is your buddy with the other d2 really wheeling with 18in rims? what size tire is that?
Thats one of them yes. The fat dude with tattoos and the white rubi with black doors is my mechanic friend though. Yes the other D2 has 18" wheels, underbody armor, TF suspension and limited slip diffs. Not sure the tire size though but they are General Grabber AT2.

Quick Reply: Old Florida Road: June 15th 2017