Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Don’t buy a NavTool! Major bug makes it useless!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 05:13 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Don’t buy a NavTool! Major bug makes it useless!

Don’t buy a NavTool right now! There’s a major bug and they are totally useless until this is fixed.

I bought my NavTool directly from the company back at the end of Nov 2020. As of today, March 8, 2021, it’s still not working at all.

I do fully believe that eventually they’ll get it working properly. And, from what I’ve seen, it’ll be really good. But in the meantime, I’m out hundreds of dollars and still can’t use CarPlay.

The issue is that when I activate NavTool (hold down the navigation button) all I get are horizontal lines across the screen like this.

Horizontal lines from NavTool

They told me the workaround for this issue is to activate/deactivate 5 – 7 times. Once it worked after only 3 tries but most of the time it doesn’t work at all. I’ve tried this activate/deactivate cycle dozens of times and it still won’t work.

In addition to this, until the NavTool device is fully booted I get a flickering on my display and it thinks that I don’t have navigation fitted.

Once the NavTool has booted, a minute or two, my navigation works fine and the flickering stops but I’m still unable to use the NavTool.

Here’s a short video of what it looks like first turning on the car and what the screen looks like when trying to activate NavTool.

http://www.casincat.com/FTP/Range_Rover/NavTool_Bug.MOV

What makes this issue even more frustrating is the horrible communications from the company. If you try to use chat, it takes hours for them to give any reply. Often the replies are terse and ambiguous. And don’t even try to ask more than a single question at a time. I once asked two at once and their reply was, “yes.”

They keep saying that they hope to have a fix in a few weeks and that this is affecting all units sold recently.

If you also have this issue or are considering buying one soon, keep checking with them for when this’ll be fixed.

Larry.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:23 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The latest update is now they are telling me that I just need to exchange it for a new unit! UGH! Why did they keep telling me it's just a software update when it's really a hardware issue?

And when the unit is disconnected, the navigation doesn't work. It just displays, "Navigation not fitted." They do have the option (Advanced Exchange) where they send you the replacement first and you give them a deposit. Great! But the online return form doesn't let me return it. I filled in all of the fields and click for the next step and get the message, "Item ... cannot be returned." WTF????

So what about the lifetime warranty?

So far it's appearing that this company has a slick website, lots of good video's, nearly no printed documentation, nearly unresponsive customer service and a product that if it works, is really good, but if it doesn't you're in for a nasty ride. Basically a chrome plated turd that might have a pearl inside.

Chat and e-mail support take days for a reply. Telephone support is better but you can't get directly through. You have to call and follow the options for them to call you back. The return call could be in minutes, hours, days or not at all. Since it's best to be somewhere that you can take notes so it's best to be near your desk. Basically once you request a call-back you're tethered to your desk or risk missing the call.

Once again, I'll keep you updated with any changes.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Larry.