Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

upgrading LR3 sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:50 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading LR3 sound system

Sooo, I've started the process of upgrading the sound in my '06 LR3 SE and what I've decided to do is go all Alpine. It came with the 250-watt 6 CD Harmon Kardon 10 speaker system which sounds really good but I'm a fan of punchy bass and so to really get good bass I found myself turning it up around the 22-24 level of volume even with the sub turned nearly all the way up. The amount of bass was pretty good but then the speakers start to blow after always having my music that loud and so I want to upgrade to get more bass at lower volumes and crisper cleaner sound all around.

I've started getting Alpine Type-X speakers for all of my speaker locations, which include tweeters, 4", and 5.25" sizes. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ON THOSE SIZES!!

I'm almost finished buying the whole system with just the Alpine PLV-7 powered sub left to buy, a big purchase.

What I'd like to know is, has anyone taken out the factory HK speakers and put in aftermarket ones in their 05/06 LR3 yet? If so, are my sizes correct, and did you run into any problems? I'm leaving the factory unit in just because I want the system to be heard and not seen. I figure the built-in amp in the stock head unit (250W) will be enough to power the speakers and then the Alpine PLV-7 sub is already paired with an appropriate Alpine amp built into the sub box so I'm set as far as power goes. I feel like I finally have a very respectable car and I want the sound to really speak well for the car as well, hence why I'm taking this whole project on. The whole point of this system is that its got to be understated as I mentioned before, heard (when i want) and not seen. I'm not trying to get some trashy sounding neon glowing pimp my ride bassy system in my car, (although I will have LOTS of bass if i want it) rather I want a system that doesnt distort at loud volumes, lets you feel the drums in your chest, and brings out every bit of the music, just like at a concert. Please give me your thoughts, suggestions, critiques, warnings, or whatever else you want to say. THANKS!

Old 10-15-2006, 06:51 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: upgrading LR3 sound system

i'm curious on this project. i have the HK Logic7 setup in my '06 LR3 HSE & need more bass. i run an alpine Type-X 12 in my EVO w/100watts RMS (underpowered)...

Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: upgrading LR3 sound system

Any intrest in selling your HK speakers, I have a '99 DII and it has the base model system and doesn't sound very good at all, I've heard that the HK sounds 10 times better. If you're interested in selling call me @ 321-508-6154. Thanks, Jim in FL..