Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   Operation Magpie. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/operation-magpie-88272/)

The Deputy 03-06-2018 03:11 AM

Those are pretty.

Saturnine 03-06-2018 12:44 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Well, MagPie is certainly living up to her (?) name. 1/2 way through a lot of, "well, this is apart so might as well replace this with new stuff that came with the car" phase.

Realized that I am a complete ****ing idiot and had the plugs wires all wired in wrong, hence the no start. All of the diagrams i found apparently were confusing to my pea sized brain and I had the upper row mixed up with the lower row on the coil. I had to repair the stupid PCV plastic nipple dealio on the IM so i decided to yank the IM to fix it properly (no crap getting into the engine) but of course the STUPID SAI CRAP had to be dealt with again. Couldnt take off the IM without unhooking the solid coolant pipe from the firewall because it was strapped to the studs for the passenger SAI mount. Which led me to draining all the coolant -- needed to install the lower hose kit pieces along with a low temp T-stat so had to be done anyways. Now i need to grab a new IM gasket and MIGHT as well do new coils as well because.. land rover.

I'm hoping i can pick up the IM gasket and coils locally for a decent price, that way i can get everything buttoned up tomorrow but might have to order from Lucky8 again which will set me back another few days.

Attachment 55834

Attachment 55835

Attachment 55836

Attachment 55837

Attachment 55838

Attachment 55839

Attachment 55840

Saturnine 03-06-2018 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got off the phone with Eric @ Lucky8 again -- ordered new CP's, IM gasket and an O-ring that I needed. Managed to get this done today at least.

Attachment 55833

The Deputy 03-07-2018 03:16 AM

Glad you found the no-start issue. These things happen, just motor on.

Good luck, with the rest of your work.

Brian.

Saturnine 03-07-2018 11:44 AM

:wave:

ArmyRover 03-07-2018 04:05 PM

I see you drain coolant the same way I do.

Drip pans and buckets strategically placed to catch a small trickle while the bulk of it pours out on the driveway....

:)

The Deputy 03-08-2018 03:17 AM

Yeah, I believe he did better than most. I think I got about a cup full...lol.

And really...is it to much to ask for...a drain cock...and one that points unobstructed to the pan? These things were engineered by morons.

Brian.

Saturnine 03-08-2018 10:42 AM

Yeah, it seems really stupid. I bet we could do some sort of an inline drain cock right off the lower radiator hose? And yes, tried my best to catch the coolant but.. its unavoidable how messy it is :dunno: According to AB (via one of their vids) you can just remove one of the water pump bolts (drivers side lower one i think :dunno:) and you can drain about 80% of the coolant that way. I guess you have to remove the fan / serp belt to do it properly though.

Now that I think about it, i don't think i have a normal oil pan bolt but rather a drain cock dealio.. Hmmm

Saturnine 03-08-2018 10:46 AM

Hmm..

Jegs 1.5" drain cock

Saturnine 03-08-2018 10:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Well, in other news -- Got the rear shocks on. Super simple to get the new shocks in, the old ones didn't feel blown but the mounting hardware was certainly dead. Also noticed there is a hole in the muffler but I'll weld that up.

Also found a D1 brush guard on CL for $100 and it was literally 2 miles away -- had to pick it up. Just have to cut off and reweld the brackets so that it'll bolt up. Bar is 24" wide and the frame rails are around the 27" mark. There are some "aftermarket" mounts already installed on the car from the funky bar that came with the car. PO took it off because the PPO had done a wonky job so he just removed it. Not sure if the lights are any good but I kind of want to get some LED lights so I'll probably try and sell the lot that came with the car to recoup some $$ for the D1 bar.

Yay pics!

Attachment 55825

Attachment 55826

Attachment 55827

Attachment 55828

Attachment 55829

Attachment 55830