Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Build Threads (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/)
-   -   Operation Magpie. (https://landroverforums.com/forum/build-threads-43/operation-magpie-88272/)

Saturnine 07-22-2019 10:29 PM

Yah, i did as well.. Never again!

Saturnine 08-08-2019 09:43 PM

Nothing new to report :dunno:

Rolled past 143k the other day and i need to do ball joints soon. I also think i have an exhaust leak where the manifold connects to the down pipe -- have gaskets but just need to install them.

ALSO.. Its expansion tank time. I was thinking about using a different one, i know that the e30 tank has been discussed but i actually found this on amazon..

They make the fan blade i have installed and its good stuff.. For $13 or whatever, might be a better option. I was also considering something from the Mk3 VW's which is more of a sphere style but are fairly indestructible :dunno:

Thoughts?

ArmyRover 08-08-2019 09:47 PM

As long as you can sort out the connections I don’t see why not.

I was looking at the tank in my 110 and thinking it’s to bad they don’t make a brass one like that for the Disco

Richard Gallant 08-09-2019 12:45 AM

@Saturnine we had a Disco 1 blow the tank on our 4 day trip seam blew out for about 1/2 the tank, he did have a cooling problem however, the "advantage" to the plastic tank is can fail form over pressure before gaskets go - with luck. of course your cooling system has to be pretty comprised for that to happen

Saturnine 08-09-2019 10:15 PM

Nah, this tank I have is just crappily made. I have probably plugged at least 3-4 cracks now with screws, cooling system was completely redone a year ago and still is working just fine. The tank i bought was probably sub $30 so you get what you pay for :dunno:

Saturnine 08-09-2019 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the VW tank btw -- has the right connection at the bottom and the overflow at the top. Even has a sensor for when the coolant is low which i'm sure can be wired up to an idiot light or something :dunno: Mounting can't be all that hard either..

Attachment 55391

Saturnine 08-18-2019 04:39 PM

More cracks in the expansion tank 🙄. I’ll probably just get one of Abran’s tanks and be done with it.

Greased the sunroofs and door latches along with double checking the aux fan worked. Had a few instances of the temps getting up in the upper 200-teens while sitting in traffic on 100+ days which was a little concerning :dunno:

Still chugging along other wise!

Saturnine 09-02-2019 10:02 AM

Still waiting on replacement ball joint boots from Rimmer, im rather irritated. Its been almost 2 months and im hoping that the new joints arent going to get fubared because of ripped boots from shipping :dunno:

ArmyRover 09-02-2019 08:37 PM

That sucks to hear

Saturnine 10-20-2019 10:52 AM

Nothing new to report :dunno:

146k on the clock now, I'm procrastinating on doing ball joints and flushing the cooling system for.. no reason at all. Passenger front window decided to stop going down, seems to be hung up in the track or something -- window will roll down about 1/4" and then tilt forward and get stuck.

Passenger foglight has a bum connection that is intermittent so have to look into that.

Otherwise... all is well! Work has been nuts, getting ready to roll out a new model of EarthRoamer in the next few months so thats exciting..