Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

Defender traction

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defender traction

With my 110 300 Tdi Landrover, traction is frankly c*ap. This is my first landrover and I am unimpressed in the extreme.

I have Avon Rangemaster 750x16 tyres with almost new wear. Today on a flat field in (low range first/second gear with diff lock engaged) which was wettish but not watterlogged, and the remains of summer cut wheat stubble the defender was struggling to cross it. It didn't make it up one very, very mild incline - really just crossing a rutted track into a field which had been rained on. When I tried to go up a slight slope, it stopped at the top and had to be backed down. Pathetic. What's wrong?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Defender traction

Well for starters the diff lock is actually only a center locking differential, as opposed to F/R lockers. Second it would have probably been better in high range (low range is too much torque). Third, does your model have trac control? Fourth, they come with tires that turn into slicks in the mud. Hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: trini defender

Well for starters the diff lock is actually only a center locking differential, as opposed to F/R lockers. Second it would have probably been better in high range (low range is too much torque). Third, does your model have trac control? Fourth, they come with tires that turn into slicks in the mud. Hope this helps.
High range or 3rd gear low box, diff engaged. get yourself some BFG Mud Terrains. If you do have Traction Control don't be affraid to rev the motor and let the wheels spin, it's how the the T/C will start working. Most people with T/C back off when the wheels spin and it is only when the wheels are spinning that the T/C works.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:09 AM
4wd Low

Traction is the point where you tyres meet the ground. That has noothing to do with your Land Rover. Check tyres, tyre pressures, momentum and your driving. In the mud, momentum is inversely proportional to traction. Less traction you have, the faster you will need to go to get through.

With all due respenct mastering 4 wheel driving is about the driving skills first, then the tyres, then last the vehicle.