Defender Talk about the Land Rover Defender within.

defenders and baby seats?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default defenders and baby seats?!?

I've seen some 1990's defender 90's with four rear jump seats. Does anyone know if they are big enough to put baby seats on?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: defenders and baby seats?!?

Definitely not if you're talking about the side facing seats - there won't be a seat belt for these and they're potentially lethal. In the UK at least children under 12 and under 4'5" must use the correct safety seating by law and as such cannot be carried in the side facing seats.

There are forward facing seats available (Exmoor trim in the UK sell them) but the flip up/fold away ones aren't suitable for fitting child restraints to. The only 'recommended' one is seriously expensive at circa £500 GBP.

Best bet is to sell the 90 and buy a 110 station wagon as it will already have forward facing 2nd row rear seats and seat belts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings,

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Drifting

well, you ARE the bearer of bad tidings, but that's OK. I am looking for a good land rover that will fit three children under the age of 5 years, plus me AND the wife. I have ALWAYS wanted a defender and can finally afford one. The 110's are still way too much $$$, and I don't like the LR3.
this thing is absolutely amazing to me, but I think it is too old for the wife to say yes to, plus I don't think it even has air conditioning (a must in texas):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...186990785&rd=1

Otherwise, I'd buy it asap, and be able to fit a whole baseball team!!! Would it be possible to easily add a/c to this one? Or, what if I still get a defender 90 and have seatbelts added to the rear jumpers? Or I could have attachment points welded in for the baby seats to be secured?

Well, I will try to find a 110 for $30k or under, but I doubt I will (at least a good condition one, anyway). Any tips to get me into a LR that can hold three baby seats and parents, too?!?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Discovery 1 and 2 both came with optional 7 seat capacity - well worth a look as the Disco 1 is virtually identical to a Defender under the skin and very similar to drive off road.

That series 109 would be a BIG depature from the norm for someone used to American motor cars, first one I drove was really weird and my daily driver is a Defender. Your right in that it won't have air-con, might be possible to retro fit it if you can find a suitable donor vehicle, I've no idea what vehicle that's likely to be, but it won't be a period Land Rover.

As to adding brackets for the baby seats in a 90, I wouldn't and haven't in my own. My son is just far too valuable to trust to something that's not been crash tested. It's the seat belt that is the safety feature, not the seat but it simply isn't possible to put 3 point lap and diagonal belts onto side facing seats. AFAIK you can only fit two forward facing seats into the back of a 90, so as you need three you're still scuppered. Looks like a 110 or a Disco will be your only option.

Cheers,

Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Drifting

so, if my research is correct, the defender 110's from the 1990's are going for about $60k here in the USA?!? Anything like it that is older, but still has features a wife and kids would need (a/c, power steering, enough seating for three babies, etc?) and isn't so much money. I can afford a d90 for $30k, but not $60k. I might have to do a discovery, but it's not my favorite land rover...

Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I WAS IN THE SAME BOAT I OPTED FOR THE 7 PASS LR3 AND LOVE IT MY WIFE ADORS IT AND I CAN TAKE IT ANYWHERE AND I DONT REGRET IT

Old 01-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: drzjoint

I WAS IN THE SAME BOAT I OPTED FOR THE 7 PASS LR3 AND LOVE IT MY WIFE ADORS IT AND I CAN TAKE IT ANYWHERE AND I DONT REGRET IT
thanks. It's just that I find the lr3 to be pretty ugly and may be too expensive. Aren't they upper $40k, lower $50k? I was hoping for a used defender 90, since they are around $25k to $35k. Oh well, maybe I'll luck out and someone with a defender 110 can put me in their will?!? It could happen...

Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Winching

i got my lr3 05 with 27k miles for 25k check out luxory motors they put their stuff on ebay good deals when i was looking

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: drzjoint

i got my lr3 05 with 27k miles for 25k check out luxory motors they put their stuff on ebay good deals when i was looking
Thanks. I'll check them out. Is it really luxory motors (with an "o"), or was that just a typo? Should I search for luxury motors instead? I guess I could just search both names, and one is bound to pop up something...

Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Winching

typosorry about thatwww.luxurymotors.com

Quick Reply: defenders and baby seats?!?