2020 Defender Talk about the new 2020 Land Rover Defender
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New defender meridian audio upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 11:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New defender meridian audio upgrade?

Hey there... have a 23' D90 V8 with the supposed upgraded meridian surround system. Love, love my Defender ride but extremely disappointed with audio ranging from quality of sound to all the vibrations and rattles inside the cabin along with the ASD (audio sound design) feature that interferes/competes with the music through the speakers. I'm certain those of you who enjoy music are experiencing this, as I'm sure it's across the board with meridian install for the new Defenders. I know and realize they concentrate on the off road capabilities, but this is totally inadequate to have a such an inferior sound system that boasts 700 watts ,14 speakers and powerful subwoofer.
Would love to see any comments, suggestions and/or resolutions to make it better. Has truly become an intolerable listening pleasure.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:24 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

I am looking into purchasing a new vehicle and premium audio is one of the main things I want. A custom install is almost necessary for me. I asked a few local places about upgrading a 22/23 Defender and the only to respond so far has told me "there aren't any aftermarket parts available", so there isn't anything they can do. I asked about installing a new set of speakers, amp, sub, head unit, sound proof, and install.

Maybe not a new head unit, but I would think the rest should be doable. The problem with the Defender is that the OEM tiny head unit on most models is already outdated, you have to go up 30k to the X version to get the larger 10 inch screen which I could live with. But not being able to install a premium audio system is a deal breaker for me, there's got to be a way to improve it. Would love to know what other Defender owners who have installed a custom system have done.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:28 PM
4wd Low

Right,, everything they told you is true. There are no processors out there, no head units that can replace the ones we have (too much integration), I can only tell you from my experience with the 700 watt system. Not sure if what I recommend, you can apply to the base smaller system. For instance, I changed all the front components with upgraded Audio Development speakers (Tweeters, mids, and bass. Driver, center and passenger sides). We added a JL audio 12 inch shallow sub in a custom sealed box under the back seat with its own 400 watt amp. Sound deadened both doors and the back from b pillars throughout. I will tell you the speakers used in these vehicles are embarrassing to us as the consumer. Such garbage from a high end car. Having said that, I love everything else about my defender! The sound system though is the huge problem and like you, would be a deal breaker for me as well if nothing could be done.
also was able to disconnect the ASD or ANC feature whichever is the correct term for the speaker fed engine noise which helped with listening the music only!. dont need to be immersed with engine sound in my cabin. I want rock and roll

Last edited by drjam; 12-28-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 02:34 PM
3rd Gear

This might or might not work for your situation, but enhanced the sound in my 23 Defender (Meridian Surround). Try moving the center of the sound stage to just behind the front seats. It's not going to be like the Range Rover Autobiography (that system has lots more power and many more speakers throughout the cabin) - but Meridian provides really solid, technical acoustic engineering. By moving the sound stage back a little, some of the unnatural harmonic resonance in the materials will calm a bit and sound Is distributed throughout the other speakers - so allows you to use a bit more volume and more speakers to enrich the sound to the ear. In an ideal world, Wilson Audio would make car stereo systems, or it would be cool if LR provided a full Autobiography-level Meridian option / similar to Burmeister option for the G-Wagons, etc. Adding JL Audio sub-woofer is always a good idea. Another option (and I have not tried this with Defender) could be to use a DSP (Digital Signal Processing) unit - and to add some amps, etc. Here is one such example:

Last edited by def-offroad; 12-31-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-31-2023, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear

Here is a great illustration of addition of dual JL Audio subwoofers by TheSoundConcept guys in Bedford Hills (this is not my vehicle, but illustrates someone doing a great custom install.) I've used JL Audio and many view JL as audiophile-quality:

Last edited by def-offroad; 12-31-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:27 PM
4wd Low

Love the quality custom work and design. It is truly amazing the amount of time and work involved with these custom enclosures. Looks great!!

Old 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 253 Likes on 164 Posts

My base specification D250 Commercial has, count them, four speakers in total.

No sub, no centre speaker, no rear speakers at all.

Just the two mid/bass drivers in the doors with tweeters at the top.

When l ordered this vehicle there was no option to upgrade the sound system. However it's perfectly acceptable for day to day listening (l am in and out of the Defender all day every day visiting clients)

I would like to fit the under seat sub, but apparently it's not easy at all. l
may try better door speakers but in all honesty the sound is fine for normal use and certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Old 03-09-2024, 10:05 AM
4wd Low
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

We’ve had our 23.5 130SE for four weeks now (was a bit of a dealer demo). Have to say the biggest disappointment is the Meridian Surround system (followed by it doesn’t have the clear sight rear view mirror…darn it!). My Jaguar XF supercharged had a Meridian Surround system and it was AWESOME! Especially for someone bass hungry like me (put on something like Sevendust for example…holy cow!). So much power, and variable sound settings (It had a Dolby surround selection, a Meridian surround choice, etc., that could all be manipulated). The only system I’ve ever had that was better was the Bowers & Wilkins in our Volvo XC90…not quite as heavy on bass, but it was an amazing sounding system and a must-have for that vehicle. I digress…
Anyway…doing research with these threads. Not going to do some massive custom build ($$$), and don’t want to take up anything in the cargo space. May just look at replacing door speaker system with Focals or similar, with extra dynamat and hope I am more pleased with the system. Will keep following these related threads for take-away’s.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Same here, I am not willing to lose space or spend 3 K for better sound. 2 K? Maybe....so it might just be speakers. As these start to get more people looking to do the same maybe someone will have some better options for sound.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:16 PM
4wd Low

Understood with not willing to spend the money but whatever your budget, my suggestion would be to invest in a quality subwoofer, if speakers are your target. The factory sub speaker and what its housed in under the driver's seat is appalling in setup. The truck is GREAT , have fun with it!! Sound system, though, is so disappointing. To reiterate it's my HUMBLE suggestion. Others may feel differently as to what to improve basically.

Quick Reply: New defender meridian audio upgrade?