Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Restoring my trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring my trim

The black trim on my 2000 Disco has seen better days. It's faded, and pitted in some places. Is there anything I can do to bring this back to life?

Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Restoring my trim

Mine is starting to do the same thing. I use tons of armor all on it, but it does not help the pitted parts. This may be stupid but I put some "belt dressing" on a test spot of the trim. I dont know exactly whats in it, but it has filled in the pits fairly well and blends in with the black plastic - even has a shine to it. I figured if belt dressings purpose is to condition rubber it may work on the plastic trim.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Overlanding

try Mother's brand Back to Black. it's amazing.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Rock Crawling

yeah back to black is good, but you have to get it even or there is blotches [:@]

Old 12-23-2005, 01:14 PM
4wd Low

Has any one tryed to use spray paint for plastic? Like Krylon Fusion For Plastic?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
4wd High

Try Forever Black. It works wonders and can last through 52 car washes.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Drifting

Back to Black worked for me but since my trim is pitted, wiping it off left a ton of little towel lints. let it dry and spray it with water.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had good luck with a SEM product called Trim Black. I masked the body side mouldings on my 1991 Classic and used this product about a year ago. So far it has held up great. You can buy the product from Auto Body paint and material supply stores.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 09-30-2006, 02:56 PM
6th Gear

I am not too sure if I know about the pitting you are referring to, but If you mean the fender flares and the parts closest to the body a product like forever black might help but when doing projects like this prep is important. If you don't get all the years of protectant off, the product will not go on evenly. I used Forever balack for the rubber trim around my windows, but a good protectant will bring back the like new finish, try Griots Vinyl and Rubber Dressing, I know that works well. I had the dealer redo my fender flares when I purchase it because the color of the trim actuall went past the black and I could see the yellow material underneath, and the surface was very rough. I am pretty sure they sanded it a little first and then painted it. They are a nice flat blace but the Forever Black should yield the same results. It is a plastic dye. It comes with a solution to prep the surface.

I have used mothers back to black a nice but messy product. No built in applicator like the Forever Black and I can't comment on the durability of it though.

Back Again is a good product UV activated. Just put some on my bumpers. If put on too think it will streak when it washed and rains so rember to buff it off after it has had time to do its thing.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Drifting

I also have a 2000 Disco - I tried Mothers Back to black and it works but fades after a couple of washes. I now use Meguires High Endurance Tire Protectant Gel. You can get it at Parts stores and you will need to also purchase the aplicators ( packs of two) They are shaped to go on to tires , but they work perfectly on trim!! I got this tip from a detailing guy and it lasts through several washes. It is in a clear bottle - gel is a purple color. It even made my spare tire cover shiny! I would highly recommed wearing gloves - applicators can start to get a little messy. My husband uses it on his vehicle too - works on any color plastic trim. I wash my car every week and I reapply this about every six weeks!

Quick Reply: Restoring my trim