Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

12 V Receptacle, Size B to Size A? Tired Of The Plug Falling Out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 12 V Receptacle, Size B to Size A? Tired Of The Plug Falling Out.

This is just a minor annoyance, but my '97 has the Euro standard Size B 12V receptacle, and like a lot of folks I like to plug in accessories which are the smaller US standard Size A. I used to have a plastic sleeve that was made to slide onto the Size A plugs to increase the diameter and take up the slack in the Size B receptacle, but that long since disappeared and people look at me sideways when I try to find a replacement. I am tired of shimming the receptacle with wads of paper to get a consistent connection, and was wondering if anybody had retrofitted a size A receptacle in their truck? Did it require modification? Where'd you get it? I was wondering if Rover may have abandoned the Size B standard in their 12V receptacles for one of their later models that might slip right into my Discovery?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Mudding

Is it that no one has an answer or no one has any interest? I thought some of you guys might have an issue using your GPS. Satellite Radio, Phone Charger, etc. If there is any interest, I'll post the fix I come up with. If not, I'll take my ball and go home.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its only been one day give it time.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

2x on don't give up yet.....somebody out there has a solution fo us. I'm just wondering....because I dont know......what do the other european car manufacturers use for this outlet ?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i didn't even look at the page but does this help? http://www.ratwell.com/technical/SilverSocket.html

Edit: Nevermind I looked totally different.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is what I did. I bought a 3 outlet adapter from wal-mart. I took and clipped off the cigarette lighter end and cut the wires running to the cigarette lighter on the truck. I wired them together to give permanent power to the 3 lighter adapter. Voila. I now have three ports and they are the correct size. I then just mounted it on the side of my center console on the passenger side. It only sticks out about an inch. I would show you pics but I have no camera and I am in the middle of a move. But you get the idea. It is pretty straightforward. The trucks lighter is still there it is just non-functional so no hole there either. Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jigray3
Is it that no one has an answer or no one has any interest? I thought some of you guys might have an issue using your GPS. Satellite Radio, Phone Charger, etc. If there is any interest, I'll post the fix I come up with. If not, I'll take my ball and go home.

It's not Mc Donalds, we're not here 24/7 to serve you. Call 1-800-who-cares. Leave the ball, just go home.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

My cell phone charger works fine. My GPS plugs in to my laptop, and my laptop adapter I just spread the ground clip a little so it's a snug fit.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can't modify it or wrap it with fine wire or something to build up the diameter. try someplace like Radio Shack. I would think they might be able to help you.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
[/U][/B]

It's not Mc Donalds, we're not here 24/7 to serve you. Call 1-800-who-cares. Leave the ball, just go home.
What's your problem? Who died and made you Queen? If you have nothing of value to contribute, do us all a favor and don't bother saying anything. My post was simply a way of saying I was surprised no one else had noticed this in their trucks in a tongue-in-cheek tone, but you felt compelled to make snide juvenile comments.

Thanks to those of you who contributed helpful responses.

Quick Reply: 12 V Receptacle, Size B to Size A? Tired Of The Plug Falling Out.